What's new
What's new

OT- Foot in mouth sagas in metalworking

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I just sold a $40,000+ machine to Hillman Co and when I mentioned skating the machine onto a trailer the buyer said "well, hope you'll be using Hillmans for that" to which I replied "nah, not using those sorry things..I use GKS"

And then it hit me that Hillman Co. is the same Hillman that makes the skates ! D'oh !!

The icing on the cake being this was the grandson of the founder I said this to !

So, am I a complete idiot or what ??

================

As as aside, it was fascinating talking to this guy. I didn't know the Cape Hatteras lighthouse in NC was moved on Hillman rollers.

There was this little shop that got a lot biger due to the good work it did. When this shop built a big new facility and held the open house for all the customers they had all the usually grand catered lunch etc... Then the boss noticed the dixi cups and BLEW HIS STACK !!!! GET THESE THE HELL OUT OF HERE NOW !!!!!!!!!!
Their best customer was Maryland Cup Corp.

As if I don't have enough projects on my plate, now I have to construct an asskicking machine. Pehaps Motionguru can assist in the PLC programming of the leg/foot motion...

I also remember installing a new machine in a General Electric plant. You know they spec all GE motors and electrical equipment and you also know how expensive the "Work Light" option is..
You can guess what's comming next....
You'd think they could get that minor detail right... but didnt.

Better get some Hillman Skates quick, then act like you were being facetious & joking with an old buddy.

If that doesn't work, I have a foot extractor that I use to get my foot out of my mouth when I say stuff like that.

blue, he actually seemed ok about it as he immediately said something about the GKS 3 point system having advantages and that they also now make something similar. Then I explained how I didn't literally mean "sorry" quality wise but just that the small roller type would get caught up on the tiniest chip on the floor.

But still it was a major dumb thing to say on my part. :mad:

I had just hired on here years ago, when we
had a meeting to disucuss some tecnical
bottleneck on the project. I had been in the
lab and showed up a minute late in the front
hallway where everyone met.

I was informed by one of the guys on the
project that there was an idea to fix the
problem we were facing - by spotwelding two
materials that would not spotweld (in this
case it was lead and niobium).

I blurted out "that's never gonna work. It's
the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. Who
thought *that* one up??"

All eyes swivelled in unison to the department
head, who was participating in this project, and
was sitting right there....

The upshot:

1) his idea was of course a non-starter.

2) the solution I cooked up solved the issue.

3) we came to respect each other.

4) he went on to bigger and better things years
later.

I still cringe though, when I think of it.

Jim

Not me, but the Avionics foreman: "Who was the stupid SOB who came up with this idea?"
General Manage: " Me".

I spent 25 years in the maintenance department of one of the hi-tech companies. One day I was in the men’s room ranting to some fellow techs about the dilution of some part of the maintenance department and how they should be strengthening that area and not diluting it. The conversation carried on out into the hallway. I was still ranting when the men's room door opened and out walked the big boss. He made some comment to the effect that I may be right and walked off. I'm so glad that I had not been denigrating him, just the plan he was implementing. Moral here is making sure who may be hearing what you’re saying.
Lg
No neat sig line

Best might be a follow up call to him to make sure the new machine is working well and see if they have any questions you can answer.

Since you are in the field and use the product a discussion relating to his product and advantages / disadvantages might also smooth things over.

Jason

Have a pilot friend that was applying for a job with Federal Express after leaving the U.S.Air Force. Got a "hot call" from a buddy already employed by FE to get his resume up to them ASAP. He lived near New Orleans and used the quickest/most convenient method to ship it there: Airborne Express. The friend got word back to him later that they trashed his resume as soon as they saw the envelope it came in.

Also heard of a vendor making a great sales pitch to the top executives of Ford. All went well until he stated that their product was the "Cadillac" of the marketplace. The big guy immediately got up and left and so did all the underlings. Should have said "Lincoln" not Cadillac.

i was running a Mazak V-12 years ago when a Engineer walked up and asked how it was going, i promptly started complaining about the sub-plate that was installed on my machine and stated that the guy who designed it needed to be "drug out into the streets and shot". the engineer turned red and walked off. the 'chinist next to me came and informed me that the p.o'ed engineer was the one who designed it.

The company I work for is down the street from their Marlboro NJ plant. My old plant manager's wife used to work there and when we needed rollers she would borrow a set from them. They knew our Owner and knew he would make use do it the hard way (planks and pipes) and felt very sorry for us :D Is this machine going to Marlboro.

blue, he actually seemed ok about it as he immediately said something about the GKS 3 point system having advantages and that they also now make something similar. Then I explained how I didn't literally mean "sorry" quality wise but just that the small roller type would get caught up on the tiniest chip on the floor.

But still it was a major dumb thing to say on my part.

D
You were being straight forward. I would think that carried a lot more weight with him than trying to kiss ass. Also a good sign of a man or a company is one that can take a little feedback with out over reacting. My guess is that you would probably have done more damage had you tried to back peddle.

There is nothing wrong about being honest.

Bill

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with a vendor at a gun show back in 1992. I was showing him an almost-finished bolt action that I had designed and made for a .50BMG rifle.
Him: "Boy, for the price they get, you'd think they'd put a better finish on 'em"
Me: "It's NOT FINISHED yet."
Him: "Oh, did you make that?"
Me: "Yeah."
Him: "Wow! That's really nice!"

I hadn't planned to buy anything from him...

Years ago I work maintanence in a small factory. Next door was a hardware store. I went to the purchasing agent for a rec and walk to the hardware store for the item. I was new to town, and didn't know anyone. The guy at the hardware store had a fake arm that looked like it came off a 50 year old manican. I cam back to the plant and siad to the purchasing agent "What's with the guy with that crumby fake arm?" His reply -that's my dad.

Luke

In this day and age of everybody being thin skinned about everything, I think its time more people stood up and spoke the truth. If there is something inferior in his product he should know about it. I always wanted to know the truth about my engine products, hell how do you improve on things if nobody gripes?

I doubt if you told him it was a POS, so a polite, "this part needs help" aint outta line in my book.
Jim

Back