OT- Gas milage estimates on 23 foot center console boat ?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    51,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2881
    Likes (Received)
    5715

    Default OT- Gas milage estimates on 23 foot center console boat ?

    I'm talking moderate vee hull, not deep vee. Sort of a "bay boat" rather than "offshore" style...about 2,500 lbs without the motor. Powered by low hour 2005 vintage 150 HP Honda 4 stroke outboard. Some extra wind resistance from T Top.

    Now don't gimme this "gallons per hour" and "it depends" BS cuz I'm about to specify the "it depends" part ..... calm seas, slack tide, and at cruising RPM. So, given all that...best case MPG ?

    (ok, ok STATUTE miles and USA gallons ! Now, who will be the first to start yakking about prop pitch and outboard trim and how clean the bottom is and ... )

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southeastern US
    Posts
    6,401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    845
    Likes (Received)
    2808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    I'm talking moderate vee hull, not deep vee. Sort of a "bay boat" rather than "offshore" style...about 2,500 lbs without the motor. Powered by low hour 2005 vintage 150 HP Honda 4 stroke outboard. Some extra wind resistance from T Top.

    Now don't gimme this "gallons per hour" and "it depends" BS cuz I'm about to specify the "it depends" part ..... calm seas, slack tide, and at cruising RPM. So, given all that...best case MPG ?

    (ok, ok STATUTE miles and USA gallons ! Now, who will be the first to start yakking about prop pitch and outboard trim and how clean the bottom is and ... )
    You probably need to restate that to GPM (US gallons per mile).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    384
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    With your money what difference does it make?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    257
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    12

    Default gas miles

    Oooh Milicron; the natives are getting snarky aren't they? :<) BTW, why a T-Top? Over here, a soft-top is necessary due to the moisture we receive. Wayne.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    4,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Best case guesstimate based on experience with a 24ft CC/ 150hp and a
    19ft bass boat/150hp would be approx. 4 mpg. Wow, so thats a dollar a mile to ride.



    On this topic. I know a 4 stroke is quieter, but is it any more efficient?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    51,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2881
    Likes (Received)
    5715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonytn36 View Post
    You probably need to restate that to GPM (US gallons per mile).
    Nope, mpg is what I want. Even my 40 footer with twin 671 Detroits could be stated in mpg...in fractions of course.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    51,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2881
    Likes (Received)
    5715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JL Sargent View Post
    On this topic. I know a 4 stroke is quieter, but is it any more efficient?
    Actually a 4 stroke outboard engine is not quieter...except at idle speeds. It produces a more "pleasant" sound that "seems" quieter...but if measured with decibel meter the level is about the same with either.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    51,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2881
    Likes (Received)
    5715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wtrueman View Post
    BTW, why a T-Top? Over here, a soft-top is necessary due to the moisture we receive. Wayne.
    Cuz it's always "there" and zero PITA factor...plus no supports in the way of fishing rods, like a bimini has.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Bremerton WA USA
    Posts
    10,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    41
    Likes (Received)
    4335

    Default

    Sorry Milacron, your scrupulous abhorrance of complications will not simplify your sistuation. Trim, hullform, sea state, load, prop pitch etc are all vital considerations in estimating fuel economy. In fact stating fuel economy in a boat or a plane without specifying operating conditions is almost meaningless.

    The Honda 4 stroke outboard is a plus as is the relatively light weight, but what is cruising speed? For about with maybe a 20 ft water line length operating in diplacement speed (not on plane) you milage may be a trifle poorer than when in moderate plane. Generally the thrust needed to drive a boat goes up exponentially with speed but there are bumps and hollows in the curve.

    Yes, I know you want a simple answer but there isn't one. I doubt if three owers of identical boats will get the same fuel economy for the same trip over the same conditions. The problem as you pose it is plain indetermnate.

    I would hazard a guess of 5 to 7 miles per gallon at moderate planing speeds of maybe 15 statuate MPH but you might get quite a bit more or less because of the nasty conditions you insist we neglect.

    On the other hand you can row and get better rmilage than that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Posts
    2,324
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    589

    Default

    Why statute miles? How about tons per day

    Steve

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    51,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2881
    Likes (Received)
    5715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Addy View Post
    Sorry Milacron, your scrupulous abhorrance of complications will not simplify your sistuation. Trim, hullform, sea state, load, prop pitch etc are all vital considerations in estimating fuel economy. In fact stating fuel economy in a boat or a plane without specifying operating conditions is almost meaningless.

    The Honda 4 stroke outboard is a plus as is the relatively light weight, but what is cruising speed? For about with maybe a 20 ft water line length operating in diplacement speed (not on plane) you milage may be a trifle poorer than when in moderate plane. Generally the thrust needed to drive a boat goes up exponentially with speed but there are bumps and hollows in the curve.

    Yes, I know you want a simple answer but there isn't one. I doubt if three owers of identical boats will get the same fuel economy for the same trip over the same conditions. The problem as you pose it is plain indetermnate.
    As there are thousands of boats out there identical, or nearly so, to the one I described, there actually is a simple answer to this question. And having owned many boats over the years from 17 to 40 feet, I've experienced relatively stable mpg figures, so it its an easily "known" figure if you happen to have a boat like that already. Which is what I'm after..not "theoretical" MPG but simply what some others with similar boats/outboards have actually experienced.

    Cruising speed does not need to be precisely defined, as it is simply the most efficient speed when you are on plane (assuming a planing hull of course)...whatever that turns out to be.

    But I've never owned a moderate Vee this length with 4 stroke outboard, so just curious how much better on gas it might be than previous 23 deep vee with 2 stroke outboard. (Which got 2.4 mpg under conditions described) But of course you couldn't resist the opportunity to "show us what you know" even if it's of zero informative help in this case

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    19,240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    14706
    Likes (Received)
    14839

    Wink

    Almost the Naked Truth
    By JAMES S. COLLINS. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Mar 6, 1929. p. 15 (1 page):
    His attitude recalls the advice of J. Pierpont Morgan, the elder, once gave a friend who told him he was thinking of buying a yacht.
    "I am wondering if I can afford a yacht," he told Morgan. "How much would it cost to maintain one?"
    "No man who asks himself that question can afford to own a yacht," replied the master of the Corsair.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brookfield, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    241
    Likes (Received)
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    (ok, ok STATUTE miles and USA gallons ! Now, who will be the first to start yakking about prop pitch and outboard trim and how clean the bottom is and ... )
    Well does the hull have a lot of barnacles

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dickson, TN
    Posts
    1,719
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    45
    Likes (Received)
    74

    Default

    Milacron:
    The Honda engine will get you 6-7 MPG on the boat you described - at the rpms you intend to cruise. I worked at a marina two summers and the Honda engines won my vote as the most economical and most reliable.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1133
    Likes (Received)
    1889

    Default

    3-4 Mpg. Maybe more. Maybe less.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Bremerton WA USA
    Posts
    10,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    41
    Likes (Received)
    4335

    Default

    "As there are thousands of boats out there identical, or nearly so, to the one I described, there actually is a simple answer to this question. And having owned many boats over the years from 17 to 40 feet, I've experienced relatively stable mpg figures, so it its an easily "known" figure if you happen to have a boat like that already. Which is what I'm after..not "theoretical" MPG but simply what some others with similar boats/outboards have actually experienced.

    Cruising speed does not need to be precisely defined, as it is simply the most efficient speed when you are on plane (assuming a planing hull of course)...whatever that turns out to be.

    But I've never owned a moderate Vee this length with 4 stroke outboard, so just curious how much better on gas it might be than previous 23 deep vee with 2 stroke outboard. (Which got 2.4 mpg under conditions described) But of course you couldn't resist the opportunity to "show us what you know" even if it's of zero informative help in this case "

    So why did you even post if you already knew the answer? It's well known that four cycle engines have better fuel economy than two cycle other things being equal so that should tell you something. Also, there's not that much difference in hydrodynamic drag and windage between deep V and shallow V hull forms so fuel economy of one would would be withn a close order of magnitude of the other. Surely a man of your confidence could extrapolate the needed data from his experence without setting epistomoplogical traps for those who desire only to be helpful .

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    51,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2881
    Likes (Received)
    5715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Addy View Post
    " So why did you even post if you already knew the answer? It's well known that four cycle engines have better fuel economy than two cycle other things being equal so that should tell you something. Also, there's not that much difference in hydrodynamic drag and windage between deep V and shallow V hull forms so fuel economy of one would would be withn a close order of magnitude of the other. Surely a man of your confidence could extrapolate the needed data from his experence without setting epistomoplogical traps for those who desire only to be helpful
    1. I posted because, while I had some idea of what the mpg might be, I wanted to hear from those with actual experience to see what their figure actually was in the real world. FWIW, before I posted I would have guessed about 4-5 mpg, close to what Sea Farmer predicted. But I'm now hoping stuball is correct !

    2. Re "well known 4 cycles better fuel econmony"...uh, yes of course...which is why I want to know what it is ! Can't believe the advertising hype ya know.

    3. Re deep V vs shallow V getting simiilar mpg.... well, that's just flat out wrong in my experience.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1133
    Likes (Received)
    1889

    Default

    I'd be interested in your data as the season progresses and you get a few trips under your belt.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    51,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2881
    Likes (Received)
    5715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Farmer View Post
    I'd be interested in your data as the season progresses and you get a few trips under your belt.
    "your" = ?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1133
    Likes (Received)
    1889

    Default

    "your" = Milacron, the original poster, owner of the 23' center-console moderate-vee hull powered by a 150 hp Honda 4-stroke boat in question


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •