OT- Gas milage estimates on 23 foot center console boat ?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT- Gas milage estimates on 23 foot center console boat ?

I'm talking moderate vee hull, not deep vee. Sort of a "bay boat" rather than "offshore" style...about 2,500 lbs without the motor. Powered by low hour 2005 vintage 150 HP Honda 4 stroke outboard. Some extra wind resistance from T Top.

Now don't gimme this "gallons per hour" and "it depends" BS cuz I'm about to specify the "it depends" part ..... calm seas, slack tide, and at cruising RPM. So, given all that...best case MPG ?

(ok, ok STATUTE miles and USA gallons ! Now, who will be the first to start yakking about prop pitch and outboard trim and how clean the bottom is and ... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    I'm talking moderate vee hull, not deep vee. Sort of a "bay boat" rather than "offshore" style...about 2,500 lbs without the motor. Powered by low hour 2005 vintage 150 HP Honda 4 stroke outboard. Some extra wind resistance from T Top.

Now don't gimme this "gallons per hour" and "it depends" BS cuz I'm about to specify the "it depends" part ..... calm seas, slack tide, and at cruising RPM. So, given all that...best case MPG ?

(ok, ok STATUTE miles and USA gallons ! Now, who will be the first to start yakking about prop pitch and outboard trim and how clean the bottom is and ... )
    You probably need to restate that to GPM (US gallons per mile).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With your money what difference does it make?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default gas miles

Oooh Milicron; the natives are getting snarky aren't they? :<) BTW, why a T-Top? Over here, a soft-top is necessary due to the moisture we receive. Wayne.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best case guesstimate based on experience with a 24ft CC/ 150hp and a
    19ft bass boat/150hp would be approx. 4 mpg. Wow, so thats a dollar a mile to ride.

On this topic. I know a 4 stroke is quieter, but is it any more efficient?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonytn36 View Post
    You probably need to restate that to GPM (US gallons per mile).
    Nope, mpg is what I want. Even my 40 footer with twin 671 Detroits could be stated in mpg...in fractions of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JL Sargent View Post
    On this topic. I know a 4 stroke is quieter, but is it any more efficient?
    Actually a 4 stroke outboard engine is not quieter...except at idle speeds. It produces a more "pleasant" sound that "seems" quieter...but if measured with decibel meter the level is about the same with either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wtrueman View Post
    BTW, why a T-Top? Over here, a soft-top is necessary due to the moisture we receive. Wayne.
    Cuz it's always "there" and zero PITA factor...plus no supports in the way of fishing rods, like a bimini has.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Milacron, your scrupulous abhorrance of complications will not simplify your sistuation. Trim, hullform, sea state, load, prop pitch etc are all vital considerations in estimating fuel economy. In fact stating fuel economy in a boat or a plane without specifying operating conditions is almost meaningless.

The Honda 4 stroke outboard is a plus as is the relatively light weight, but what is cruising speed? For about with maybe a 20 ft water line length operating in diplacement speed (not on plane) you milage may be a trifle poorer than when in moderate plane. Generally the thrust needed to drive a boat goes up exponentially with speed but there are bumps and hollows in the curve.

Yes, I know you want a simple answer but there isn't one. I doubt if three owers of identical boats will get the same fuel economy for the same trip over the same conditions. The problem as you pose it is plain indetermnate.

I would hazard a guess of 5 to 7 miles per gallon at moderate planing speeds of maybe 15 statuate MPH but you might get quite a bit more or less because of the nasty conditions you insist we neglect.

On the other hand you can row and get better rmilage than that.

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why statute miles? How about tons per day

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Addy View Post
    Sorry Milacron, your scrupulous abhorrance of complications will not simplify your sistuation. Trim, hullform, sea state, load, prop pitch etc are all vital considerations in estimating fuel economy. In fact stating fuel economy in a boat or a plane without specifying operating conditions is almost meaningless.

The Honda 4 stroke outboard is a plus as is the relatively light weight, but what is cruising speed? For about with maybe a 20 ft water line length operating in diplacement speed (not on plane) you milage may be a trifle poorer than when in moderate plane. Generally the thrust needed to drive a boat goes up exponentially with speed but there are bumps and hollows in the curve.

Yes, I know you want a simple answer but there isn't one. I doubt if three owers of identical boats will get the same fuel economy for the same trip over the same conditions. The problem as you pose it is plain indetermnate.
    As there are thousands of boats out there identical, or nearly so, to the one I described, there actually is a simple answer to this question. And having owned many boats over the years from 17 to 40 feet, I've experienced relatively stable mpg figures, so it its an easily "known" figure if you happen to have a boat like that already. Which is what I'm after..not "theoretical" MPG but simply what some others with similar boats/outboards have actually experienced.

Cruising speed does not need to be precisely defined, as it is simply the most efficient speed when you are on plane (assuming a planing hull of course)...whatever that turns out to be.

But I've never owned a moderate Vee this length with 4 stroke outboard, so just curious how much better on gas it might be than previous 23 deep vee with 2 stroke outboard. (Which got 2.4 mpg under conditions described) But of course you couldn't resist the opportunity to "show us what you know" even if it's of zero informative help in this case

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink

Almost the Naked Truth
    By JAMES S. COLLINS. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Mar 6, 1929. p. 15 (1 page):
    His attitude recalls the advice of J. Pierpont Morgan, the elder, once gave a friend who told him he was thinking of buying a yacht.
    "I am wondering if I can afford a yacht," he told Morgan. "How much would it cost to maintain one?"
    "No man who asks himself that question can afford to own a yacht," replied the master of the Corsair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Well does the hull have a lot of barnacles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milacron:
    The Honda engine will get you 6-7 MPG on the boat you described - at the rpms you intend to cruise. I worked at a marina two summers and the Honda engines won my vote as the most economical and most reliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3-4 Mpg. Maybe more. Maybe less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"As there are thousands of boats out there identical, or nearly so, to the one I described, there actually is a simple answer to this question. And having owned many boats over the years from 17 to 40 feet, I've experienced relatively stable mpg figures, so it its an easily "known" figure if you happen to have a boat like that already. Which is what I'm after..not "theoretical" MPG but simply what some others with similar boats/outboards have actually experienced.

Cruising speed does not need to be precisely defined, as it is simply the most efficient speed when you are on plane (assuming a planing hull of course)...whatever that turns out to be.

But I've never owned a moderate Vee this length with 4 stroke outboard, so just curious how much better on gas it might be than previous 23 deep vee with 2 stroke outboard. (Which got 2.4 mpg under conditions described) But of course you couldn't resist the opportunity to "show us what you know" even if it's of zero informative help in this case "

So why did you even post if you already knew the answer? It's well known that four cycle engines have better fuel economy than two cycle other things being equal so that should tell you something. Also, there's not that much difference in hydrodynamic drag and windage between deep V and shallow V hull forms so fuel economy of one would would be withn a close order of magnitude of the other. Surely a man of your confidence could extrapolate the needed data from his experence without setting epistomoplogical traps for those who desire only to be helpful .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Addy View Post
    " So why did you even post if you already knew the answer? It's well known that four cycle engines have better fuel economy than two cycle other things being equal so that should tell you something. Also, there's not that much difference in hydrodynamic drag and windage between deep V and shallow V hull forms so fuel economy of one would would be withn a close order of magnitude of the other. Surely a man of your confidence could extrapolate the needed data from his experence without setting epistomoplogical traps for those who desire only to be helpful
    1. I posted because, while I had some idea of what the mpg might be, I wanted to hear from those with actual experience to see what their figure actually was in the real world. FWIW, before I posted I would have guessed about 4-5 mpg, close to what Sea Farmer predicted. But I'm now hoping stuball is correct !

2. Re "well known 4 cycles better fuel econmony"...uh, yes of course...which is why I want to know what it is ! Can't believe the advertising hype ya know.

3. Re deep V vs shallow V getting simiilar mpg.... well, that's just flat out wrong in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd be interested in your data as the season progresses and you get a few trips under your belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Farmer View Post
    I'd be interested in your data as the season progresses and you get a few trips under your belt.
    "your" = ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"your" = Milacron, the original poster, owner of the 23' center-console moderate-vee hull powered by a 150 hp Honda 4-stroke boat in question