What's new
What's new

OT German translation needed

Diamond
Some friends came up with a German box labeled "feldschlagerohren". The O is supposed to be umlaut but I don't know how to do it here. I make a literal translation of "field striking tubes". Is that the term for field artillery shells?

Bill

Some friends came up with a German box labeled "feldschlagerohren". The O is supposed to be umlaut but I don't know how to do it here. I make a literal translation of "field striking tubes". Is that the term for field artillery shells?

Bill

There is a multi-key way to make lots of characters. Don't need it often enough to be bothered remembering it.

What works more easily is to bring up enough of the target language to get them on-screen. Highlight. Copy. Paste.

Meanwhile...

Is there a space after "schlager" ?

And none of the common Artillerie, explosives, fuze, detonator, blasting cap, etc. word components are evident to me.

Could be tubular tent-pegs or a field repair kit for canvas tarp eyelets for all I know.

When presented thusly: feld schlage röhren
schlage is translated as striking.

These guys seem to have lots of purchasable information:
german for sale - iOffer

This looks promising: search Google for "feld schlage röhren" for context. Many hits, which I didn't go thru.

Site unhelpfully obsucres that link: it is www dot google dot de

When presented thusly: feld schlage röhren
schlage is translated as striking.

These guys seem to have lots of purchasable information:
german for sale - iOffer

This looks promising: search Google for "feld schlage röhren" for context. Many hits, which I didn't go thru.

Site unhelpfully obsucres that link: it is www dot google dot de

Dunno about you guys some days.. "obsucres" turns up as Catalan for "obsolete" but at least doesn't involve sugar coating one's backside.

I'll leave the room about now..

:D

The words are run together in the normal German propensity for creating monstrous words. I read it as "feld schlage röhren". These are all common German words. "Röhren" also means "radio tube", but I don't know how one would strike a field with one. If I remember correctly, the n on the end of röhren makes it a weak German plural, so the case must have held a number of them, whatever they were.

Tomorrow I will look for other copy and possibly post a picture.

Bill

"feld" is a rare expression for the high part of rifling. so pipes to "beat in" rifling?

The words are run together in the normal German propensity for creating monstrous words. I read it as "feld schlage röhren". These are all common German words. "Röhren" also means "radio tube", but I don't know how one would strike a field with one. If I remember correctly, the n on the end of röhren makes it a weak German plural, so the case must have held a number of them, whatever they were.

Tomorrow I will look for other copy and possibly post a picture.

Bill

The "monstrous word" concatenation USUALLY reduces confusion in technical terms. This case is an uncommon exception.

Chinese is the diametric opposite, and far, far, weaker, accordingly. To the point that if an overlord wished to cripple the country intellectually and as to effective communication about anything more complicated than agriculture and trade in its produce?

Inventing written Chinese and spoken Mandarin would be an excellent start. Which is no accident. It WAS created by invaders who dominated China at the time.

mongols perhaps?

Surely wudda been easier to grok had they but been Italians...

:)

Funniest part? A modern spoken Mandarin sentence is structured and diagrammed exactly the same as Latin's least fubar'ed living descendant. Spanish.

FWIW-not-much, their written language does not necessarily relate to a spoken language of any kind. Pragmatic needs of a different spoken dialect in every village, not just province, drove that.

Much like "Arabic" numbering, warnings, or highway signs. Doesn't matter what name you call it or how that sounds.

So long as you convey the difference between 1 and 2, left and right, "stand clear of the doors", or STOP and YIELD, it is fit for the purpose.

feldschlageöhren

Its a Specialized German specific term..

Surely Feld = Field.Whilst its a farm, park, joint with acreage. It can mean virgin field or scope.
Schalge = to hit / slap or otherwise impact

öhren. Surely that means something to do with the Ear?

Any chance this is some sort of medical shit you could poke in your ear?

feldschlageöhren

Its a Specialized German specific term..

Surely Feld = Field.Whilst its a farm, park, joint with acreage. It can mean virgin field or scope.
Schalge = to hit / slap or otherwise impact

öhren. Surely that means something to do with the Ear?

Yes, it would do if absent the umlaut. Also oars, as on a row boat or even multi-oared galley.

My first shot, until I manually inserted the umlaut, I was thinking teeth for a roto-tiller or harrow, inserts for a brush-hog chopper blade, flail chains for a landmine-clearing plow, or the attachment links for some sort of post-hole digging, fence post setting, plowing, soil prep, or cultivating machinery.

Where are our native German speakers when we need them? Will even that help us if that term is industry-specific and "not my job"?

A picture of the actual box with interior view and dimensions might be an easier stretch. I could probably still ID a War Two Wehrmacht blasting cap tote box, for example. Dad kept our caps in one he brought home from the war.

My heritage is German. 4 dozen of the downunder blokes that have personally met me will a testify to that. Its my first language.

Your just fucking up yet another thread.

My heritage is German. 4 dozen of the downunder blokes that have personally met me will a testify to that. Its my first language.

Your just fucking up yet another thread.

Surprised you let that many who've met you personally remain alive, but that last line proves the German DNA claim an honest one. Even if you missed the significance of the umlaut.

I'd guess norddeutsch, too. Prussian, from your sporadic posturing and braying.

Some of mine is Bayerisch. That's easy-going. Hackerbrau or Hofbrau is in the fridge. Welcome if your arms are long enough. Prefer the good life to grudge matches.

Some is Swiss-German. Just Deal with that.

It's the Irish side that's hard, the English side that's devious.

:D

Back