What's new
What's new

OT: Good online source for leather boot laces?

neilho

Titanium
My goto general store has only Kiwi leather laces and there's nothing else with a prayer of having them within a 1/2hr of me. The Kiwis look good, but one lace broke 4 times in the last two days. New POS is what they are.

I really like leather laces on these boots. They stay put and can last well. 1st pair came with the LaCrosse boots and were good for ten years. So suggestions as to other materials will fall on deaf ears.

Specific sites and brands and tales of direct experience are welcome, however.

My goto general store has only Kiwi leather laces and there's nothing else with a prayer of having them within a 1/2hr of me. The Kiwis look good, but one lace broke 4 times in the last two days. New POS is what they are.

I really like leather laces on these boots. They stay put and can last well. 1st pair came with the LaCrosse boots and were good for ten years. So suggestions as to other materials will fall on deaf ears.

Specific sites and brands and tales of direct experience are welcome, however.

Placing a MMC order any time soon? 5223T335

I get them at Farmer's Gin in Poth, Tx. They are a True Value Hardware store. I am not sure if that is a standard True Value item or something they carry that is separate for their farm and ranch customers. I do not think theirs are Kiwi brand.

Here's a low-key alternative. [1] Buy a wooden-handle razor knife used by leather workers for slicing lace strips. [2]Buy a good slab of cowhide from a leather supplier. [3] Practice for 10 minutes to get the width, tilt angle, and slicing feed speed right. [4] Have some fun producing enough laces to last you and your buddies for life.

Weaver leather is one supplier, Springfield is another. Lots more.

-Marty-

Yeah leather laces nowadays are junk............rotten leather or something. Not sure where I bought my last pair. I do recycle them from boot to boot. I just got a new pair of boots, scrapped the brand new laces and replaced them with the old leather ones from my worn out pair of boots.....................I slather my boots every 6 months or so in mink oil. Lay it on thick, soak over night and wipe off the excess the next day. When I do this I also pull out the leather laces and goop them up too.............last forever.

Placing a MMC order any time soon? 5223T335

Dang. Why didn't I think of that? :dopeslap: Of course, at least once a week! Their supplier is Rhode Island textile. I may just go that way.

Marty, normally I'd consider the DIY approach. Buy the tools, then obsess on it is how I work.
smile.gif
But this time, I just want to have laces for my boots.

Weaver has a 1lb bag of laces they'd like to sell me, no lengths listed. Springfield looks promising, but I'll have to wait till their website is up to order.

Thanks for the replies so far....

My wife taught head start and she tells me cloth laces are no good anymore. This is also my experience they are not pure cotton. They add enough, maybe 100%, synthetics and they slip apart and untie. I havenever seen a lace with materials listed. makes it very hard to teach kids how to tie a shoe so it does not untie.
Bill D.

I like leather boots, but much prefer braided nylon laces for my boots Leather laces stretch, shrink, swell, crack, and just generally don't last as long as nylon laces.

I like leather boots, but much prefer braided nylon laces for my boots Leather laces stretch, shrink, swell, crack, and just generally don't last as long as nylon laces.

If you take care of them they will outlast the boots. Buy a good pair, lube them up periodically and for get about them. I take the brand new nylon laces out of my boots and toss them, replacing them with leather. And try any amount of welding.................leather laces don't melt......................Plus leather laces don't wear through and break at the eyelets and hook eyelets.................

When I was in Rochester, NY, I went through about 2 sets of leather laces every three years. When I switched to nylon laces, I've never had to replace a set, although Danner does give me new ones whenever I have a pair of boots resoled. So at a minimum, I get multiple years of daily wear out of a set of nylon laces. Boots do have metal eyelets and hooks. I think after about 5 years I get a bit of "fuzzing" from the surface fibers.

I do weld on occasion, but I generally don't drop slag on my feet. That may be because I have a big belly and things bounce off my jacket before they get to the floor.

Anyway, not trying to start an argument or convince anyone to switch. Different strokes for different folks.

If your laces are coming undone, wrap it around the loop twice before passing it thru. Fixed that issue for me.

I think that weaver is open to the public now. They used to be open only to businesses with an EIN. I second what others said about Weaver, but I haven't bought with them for a number years. They had great customer service. I just called them up and told them what I wanted. They found the part numbers and sent me an invoice.

Back