What's new
What's new

OT Google Maps turned int Uber ads

Diamond
Today I got into an unfamiliar part of town and attempted to locate myself with the Google map service on Consumer Cellular. It has turned into a mess that is downright dangerous to use when driving. The map was choked down into a narrow strip with Uber information above and below. You can expand it, but then you lose the "My Location" button. The former verbal instructions are also gone.

I am paying for the service, not Uber and Lyft ads. I called Consumer Cellular and was told that the map was controlled by Google and the cell phone provider had no control. Does anyone know how to get rid of the garbage?

Bill

I notice that I left the o off of "into". I wish we could edit titles.

Most phone platforms have "ad-blocking" software, whatever your phone is (presumably Android) you should be able to find something that will work.

As with most tech things, if you get frustrated find a five year old to give you a hand. :D

I'm no spring chicken, but, had you put in a familiar address(home) and used the phone's maps would that have taken you out with minimal fuss?

I am paying for the service, not Uber and Lyft ads. I called Consumer Cellular and was told that the map was controlled by Google and the cell phone provider had no control. Does anyone know how to get rid of the garbage?

Google maps is a free service that has nothing to do with your cell provider. They make money by tracking you, learning about you, and advertising. You can get an iphone and use Apple maps instead, it is getting better and there are no ads or creepy tracking.

Google maps is a free service that has nothing to do with your cell provider. They make money by tracking you, learning about you, and advertising. You can get an iphone and use Apple maps instead, it is getting better and there are no ads or creepy tracking.

If you really believe Apple isn't doing the exact same thing with your information that Google is...

Well, I've got an endmill that you can never break, ever, and you should buy 5 of them from me.

To the OP... What phone are you using, what version of google maps, and have you installed any weird apps lately? Because that is NOT how Google maps works, the app is full screen, and voice directions still exist. Either you have some malware, maybe some bloatware from your provider (I have no idea what consumer cellular is), or something else is wrong, because what you have described is NOT the behavior of Google maps when it is functioning properly.

Can you take a screenshot and post it?

If you really believe Apple isn't doing the exact same thing with your information that Google is...

Well, I've got an endmill that you can never break, ever, and you should buy 5 of them from me.

To the OP... What phone are you using, what version of google maps, and have you installed any weird apps lately? Because that is NOT how Google maps works, the app is full screen, and voice directions still exist. Either you have some malware, maybe some bloatware from your provider (I have no idea what consumer cellular is), or something else is wrong, because what you have described is NOT the behavior of Google maps when it is functioning properly.

Can you take a screenshot and post it?

Agree 100%. I don't use it all the time, but when I do I have no real issues, other than sometimes it wants to take you some weird route (but if you know it is weird, you probably don't really need to be using maps.. :leaving:)

False alarm. The task bar for travel mode is longer than the width of the screen in portrait display and the icon for standard auto travel was off the screen. It had been switched to the Uber and Lyft function and the alternative was hidden. A couple of swipes at the screen has restored the fearful symmetry of the universe.

Bill

Back