OT Google Maps turned int Uber ads
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT Google Maps turned int Uber ads

Today I got into an unfamiliar part of town and attempted to locate myself with the Google map service on Consumer Cellular. It has turned into a mess that is downright dangerous to use when driving. The map was choked down into a narrow strip with Uber information above and below. You can expand it, but then you lose the "My Location" button. The former verbal instructions are also gone.

I am paying for the service, not Uber and Lyft ads. I called Consumer Cellular and was told that the map was controlled by Google and the cell phone provider had no control. Does anyone know how to get rid of the garbage?

Bill

I notice that I left the o off of "into". I wish we could edit titles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most phone platforms have "ad-blocking" software, whatever your phone is (presumably Android) you should be able to find something that will work.

As with most tech things, if you get frustrated find a five year old to give you a hand.

3. Likes fusker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm no spring chicken, but, had you put in a familiar address(home) and used the phone's maps would that have taken you out with minimal fuss?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I am paying for the service, not Uber and Lyft ads. I called Consumer Cellular and was told that the map was controlled by Google and the cell phone provider had no control. Does anyone know how to get rid of the garbage?
    Google maps is a free service that has nothing to do with your cell provider. They make money by tracking you, learning about you, and advertising. You can get an iphone and use Apple maps instead, it is getting better and there are no ads or creepy tracking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jwearing View Post
    Google maps is a free service that has nothing to do with your cell provider. They make money by tracking you, learning about you, and advertising. You can get an iphone and use Apple maps instead, it is getting better and there are no ads or creepy tracking.
    If you really believe Apple isn't doing the exact same thing with your information that Google is...

Well, I've got an endmill that you can never break, ever, and you should buy 5 of them from me.

To the OP... What phone are you using, what version of google maps, and have you installed any weird apps lately? Because that is NOT how Google maps works, the app is full screen, and voice directions still exist. Either you have some malware, maybe some bloatware from your provider (I have no idea what consumer cellular is), or something else is wrong, because what you have described is NOT the behavior of Google maps when it is functioning properly.

Can you take a screenshot and post it?

7. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    If you really believe Apple isn't doing the exact same thing with your information that Google is...

Well, I've got an endmill that you can never break, ever, and you should buy 5 of them from me.

To the OP... What phone are you using, what version of google maps, and have you installed any weird apps lately? Because that is NOT how Google maps works, the app is full screen, and voice directions still exist. Either you have some malware, maybe some bloatware from your provider (I have no idea what consumer cellular is), or something else is wrong, because what you have described is NOT the behavior of Google maps when it is functioning properly.

Can you take a screenshot and post it?
    Agree 100%. I don't use it all the time, but when I do I have no real issues, other than sometimes it wants to take you some weird route (but if you know it is weird, you probably don't really need to be using maps.. )

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    I do believe it. There is a huge difference between these two companies: Apple sells electronics, Google sells advertisements.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jwearing View Post
    I do believe it. There is a huge difference between these two companies: Apple sells GOLD apparently, based on their prices, Google sells advertisements.
    Fixed it for you.

People Are Really Upset About Apple'''s $999 Monitor Stand - IGN

11. Likes _boris_, jwearing, charlie gary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

False alarm. The task bar for travel mode is longer than the width of the screen in portrait display and the icon for standard auto travel was off the screen. It had been switched to the Uber and Lyft function and the alternative was hidden. A couple of swipes at the screen has restored the fearful symmetry of the universe.

Bill

13. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post