What's new
What's new

ot: The handshake.

CarbideBob

Diamond
Who feels weird about this now?
Gut instinct is to hold out my hand and a certain decorum rules the whats and type of such.
Now elbow bump, not the same in my world.
Talking with a neighbor on drain problems which we agreed on but no to shaking hands. Turned down with the virus thing which I can understand but left me wondering where we are.
What can take its place? It is so way ingrained into me as a reading of yes/no respect or other unspoken.
Recently on the more alpha males I have run into the shoulder bump. That interesting.
Bob

It is what it is, I agree its not the same but the world has changed and so we have to also.
I dont offer my hand and if someone does I just offer the fist bump.
I dont think anything has to take its place because hopefully everyone understands and if they dont, well to bad.

Hadn’t thought of it before last week. Appt at u of m for injury to my wrist.

Many signs up that hand shakes will not be offered.

So deeply ingrained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gut instinct is to hold out my hand and a certain decorum rules the whats and type of such.
Talking with a neighbor on drain problems which we agreed on but no to shaking hands. Turned down with the virus thing which I can understand but left me wondering where we are.
What can take its place? It is so way ingrained into me as a reading of yes/no respect or other unspoken.\
Recently on the more alpha males I have run into the shoulder bump. That interesting.
Bob

I'll shake your hand. Nothing has changed one bit for me other than having more work. I go about my life in what used to be considered a normal way and if somewhere has a problem with that I take my business elsewhere.

I taught Sam Beto of NTK how to shake hands. Fresh here from japan he shook like a limp noodle.

He came back after my lesson with a big smile so proud of how he became treated by customers when he started shaking like a man. Re: stand up full tall, look straight in the eyes like you are talking to a favored friend, and grasp just short of hurting.

NTK likely had the best ceramic inserts at that time and I gave him orders for thousands+ lots for finish skim machining g hard steel parts.

Sam if you are on PM give me a private msg.
Buck

Yeah well, who do you believe? Masks are good. No wait, masks are bad. Oh, masks are good. Virus lives a long time on surfaces. Oops, no it doesn't. Sun light kills it in 1 second. No it's 10 minutes. No wait, we don't know.
The experts don't know their holes from an ass in the ground.
I'm with hard plate..........Bob

I'm moving on to the fist bump with fadeaway sparkle and sound effects personally.

Could never really get in to the elbow, or the fist bump prior to the fadeaway sparkle.

Those that insist upon handshake will end up with the euro hug.

and grasp just short of hurting.

Nope. No.. There is limp wristed, please kiss the back of my hand, and there
is what I would consider a light but firm grasp, which I feel is respectful, and
in my life experience indicates what kind of person you are. Of course there is
the ramping up, but there is a point where you both stop, and that's fine.

The asshole that squeezes early, and intentionally tries to get you about
an inch and a half short of your thumb crotch so they actually try and hurt
you by trying to fold your hand in half. I have never in my entire life met
a person that shakes like this that I would trust in any way shape or form.
They have tiny penises and are trying to assert dominance.

The idiot that actually lets your thumb crotch meet, and then squeezes like
your hand has that last drop in a tube of toothpaste. Young kids do this
because it makes them manly and they just got their first hair on their left ball.

I'm always gentle, and then we can ramp it up. Older folks may have arthritis
in their hands. I'm not going to aggravate that by squeezing the hell out of
them for no reason. I've had torn cartilage in a finger and had it aggravated
by assholes trying to squish the hell out of my hand(YAY!! another 6 months of
pain).

A hand shake is a sign of respect, if you have to turn it into a sign of
dominance, then you are somebody that I do not want to deal with.

As for right now, hand to hand transfer of the virus, probably not a huge risk, but I still
try and avoid, and wash or sanitize as soon as possible. Right hand in the pocket,
slight turn to the right and head to the left usually avoids the hand shake.

Yeah well, who do you believe? Masks are good. No wait, masks are bad. Oh, masks are good. Virus lives a long time on surfaces. Oops, no it doesn't. Sun light kills it in 1 second. No it's 10 minutes. No wait, we don't know.

I suggest that you let your surgeon know this the next time you need a organ fiddled with...

LOL! Good 'un! Surely seems so.

Good friend and I made sort of a laugh-it-off "thing' out of the then-new-fad of elbow-bumps, just for the novelty in it, but that was early, early.
No-touchy is not uncommon, globally.

We could see more use of the Japanese formalish bowing?

Done "properly" one does NOT cast eyes down, but rather maintains eye to eye contact through the whole range of movement.

Which is duecedly hard on the neck. Unless one abbreviates the depth of the bow, to not much more than a head-bob.

Not uncommon in Hong Kong, etc. but .. just doesn't seem "American". At all. The bowing of one's head.

Much the reverse, rather!

Ditto.

COVID is at least at the point where IF yah get it at all, and IF THEN it even hits yah hard, at least the odds are rather good yah can be hauled through it.

I dont think we've lost the handshake. It expect it to bounce right back.

I can remember, Eisenhower years, the constant schoolroom drills, and how B***dy serious indeed they were...

...wherein all hands would dive under our open-sided tube-framed "Grand Rapids" made schooldesks.... sure in the knowledge that our diligence at not making noise ..... would carry us safely though the Russians whacking our city... with a massive Mike-Foxtrot hydrogen bomb!

Well. It seemed an unchallenged TRUTH At THE TIME?

To this day, I have enormous respect for the incredibly strong furniture that Grand Rapids produced "back in the day". Nobody builds s**t that good these days.

Eventually?

"Fuckit, whatever it is, is whatever it is. Got other s**t to do!"

...time cometh.

A lot you can tell about a man in the brief time of a hand shake. Important stuff.

A only shake hands with friends and strangers I've just met.

A lot you can tell about a man in the brief time of a hand shake. Important stuff.

A only shake hands with friends and strangers I've just met.

Or is it strange friends you will never meet?

:D

Face it, even you young guys are premature Old Farts to be going on about handshakes.

Younger generation(s) must have had advance warning COVID or some OTHER Zombie affliction was coming?

They had already moved-on to exchanging full-motion video crotch-shots, tit-bounces, or bootie-shakes over the networks.

:(

"Chairman,Xi, The Ministry for State Security has completed surreptitious collection of recognition images to match to the identity of all the peoples of the world!"

"So we have over 7 billion FACES now on file?"

"Uh.. not exactly "faces", Chairman Xi."

"There are indications the damned Americans have somehow f**ked us again!"

When I visited South America, I noticed that they kiss....:popcorn:
I walked into a dealership and the woman sales person was a bit taken aback when
I declined.

X is the unknown quantity, spert is a drip under pressure.

What can take its place? It is so way ingrained into me as a reading of yes/no respect or other unspoken.
Bob

Back