What's new
What's new

Ot- Has anyone set and actually use exercise machines like a rower at home?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I’m like every other idiot- get some coffee in me- drive out to the shop and drag on back home end of day.
I can’t see myself doing a run through a gym or the pool.
Problem is though I’m quite active I now need to lay in some cardio every day.

Soooo....

Get a rowing machine for home?
Anyone find themselves in same spot and what did you buy that works?
I have the normal collection of mild joint injuries so the rower looks good.

A water or air rower?

Thanks all

I have a Concept 2. It's an air rower and it's really well made but be aware that it's very long so takes up a good bit of space compared to an exercise bike. I've heard the water rowers are smoother but I've never tried one.

Ok- I am running down what seems a classic comparison.
That Concept2 vs the Waterrower.

The inertial monitoring accuracy and subsequent data logging metrics appeal to my mind in this shopping stage.
Will I give a rats ass over the long haul I can’t say

I just started walking to the grocery store. It was about a mile, mile anda half away. Saw more stuff, enjoyed it more, fresh air, and I couldn't quit after ten minutes and say I'd make up for it tomorrow :)

One good thing about a dog ... take them for a walk every day, after a week they won't let you forget your duty.

(There's an exercise bicycle in the corner. Belongs to the girlfriend. Stuff stacked three feet high on top. Lesson learned.)

I have tried about everything and it bores me to death. My wife bought a total Gym and it is years old and we still use it. Sex is best but those days have dried up like kelp on a beach at low tide. Walking is ok but doesn't do anything for me. Metal detecting is awesome. And I have to laugh at the professional housewives out running as lines of gas and diesel vehicles whiz by laying down crap that would knock a bird out of the sky as they pound their joints in oblivion.

Concept 2 is what we use in our gym. As far as space they can be stood up in end or even folded in half. I’ve tried wAter rowers at other gyms and just didn’t like the feel.

Motivation:
1. Box fan at "front end" to simulate "ocean breeze"
2. Place a 5 gallon bucket of water at the end of each "oar" to simulate the ocean
3. Beach sand underneath for proper simulation when embarking/dis-embarking.
:D

I like a stationary bike for indoor cardio. Nice ones are nice. They're also quiet, which can be important early in the morning. You want someting that is comfortable and you'll want to use. I use a regular road bike (fit is more critical as we get older), on a resistance trainer that I have had forever.

A buddy of mine is 56, and likes to drink a few in the evening. You'd never ever guess that when 4:45 AM rolls around, he has his big mug of coffee and is on his startionary bike, with the TV and DVR setup in front. He uses that time to catch up on hockey and baseball (he's pretty screwed now!). He pedals like f'n mad for a full hour. His last exercise bike rusted out from the sweat.

He also does free weights. When he doesn't do the bike, he goes out and runs. Then he bikes to work, in every weather, the worse the better. He also has a neck and lower back injury.

I hope I can get that fit and have such an intense and disciplined routine.

Old nordic tracks are also an incredible full body workout, and they're cheap.

+1 for the dog. I think the hour I spend walking her is the best part of my day. Leave the phone in your pocket and just pay attention and observe. Any time of year, any kind of weather, there's always something interesting. I'm lucky, live 4 blocks from an Olmsted designed park, what a treasure!

Oh, and women, who would otherwise clutch their purse in terror when they saw me, would come up and ask if they could say hello to my dog. Shes a gold retriever, everyone loves them,

Had an air rowing machine, never used it after the first couple of weeks, The very definition of boring!

I used a rowing machine at a gym many years ago. It was a nice break from stationary bikes. But I’ve been riding bikes for 30 plus years as an adult.

I suggest a stationary bike first, and you might like it enough to buy a bike to ride outside. The rower would be my second choice. It will do for you what you want if you will use it. Having both is not a bad idea either. Just walking an hour continuously every day works too.

Any chance you could put in the shop somewhere? You’re already there anyway.
Just build it into your daily routine.

I know I don’t have room at home without tripping over it or hanging laundry over it. Plus I could make excuses every day about why I don’t have time to use it.

pilates machine . dumb name , but really versatile and useful . the only one we've ever had in the house that didn't turn into a piece of yard art . pulleys and ropes and elastic bands.. arms,legs ,back can do low tension /hi reps , or high tension muscle workout. really good if you want to stretch your hamstrings to alleviate sciatica . $50-100 on craigslist all day long .

First I must confess that my rowing machine is currently stored in the attic.

If you have the space I highly recommend a cross trainer of the type that simulates cross country skiing. These exercise both arms and legs and are less abusive of joints than many other types of equipment, especially if the foot boards move in an arc instead of back and forth. I once worked for an exercise equipment manufacturer and they had a demo room/gym where employees could use the machines so I got to try all kinds.

We have a concept 2 at the gym and I used to have a water rower. Turned out I didn’t have the discipline to excercise at home. Go to the gym twice a week and cycle short distances in town and around. On the water rower: quite expensive, but very smooth and well made. The water container started leaking at the seam after 10 years or so. Fixed it with epoxy. My mother uses it daily. It is only possible to change the resistance bij adding or pumping out water. If you estimate that there is a likely chance it will end up in storage I would advise a cheaper model.��

I'm going to guess that a rowing machine is very poor for laundry. Treadmill is much better, hanging space on the rails. Wife had to have so busted my butt getting it in the basement. She used it once. Hated the stairs so I put a hand rail up. Nope.
Last fall she had to have an exercise bike. NO! It is not going in the basement. Put it on the first floor and she got on it and did 15 min. Her butt was sore for weeks so she bought a padded seat. Nope, still not using it. But I do 10-15 3 times a week and it is boring at first. But now only boring for first 5 min. I have weights in the handlebar basket and after 5 pedaling with arm stuff I forget what I am doing and look down and HEY! 15 min. Shower time.

Used to do 30 mins on the treadmill, then another 30 mins on a bike and 30-45 more mins on a rower 5 days a week before I was married. Did weights the other two days. I generally read books while on the bike. Looking to order a Concept2 for the house now, and will probably put a monitor up for it and watch a little netflix while rowing. I need to work on getting back into much better shape than I'm in now. The Concept is quiet enough that I don't have to worry about waking people up in the house when I'm up at 3 am on my days off.

I'm going to guess that a rowing machine is very poor for laundry. Treadmill is much better, hanging space on the rails. Wife had to have so busted my butt getting it in the basement. She used it once. Hated the stairs so I put a hand rail up. Nope.
Last fall she had to have an exercise bike. NO! It is not going in the basement. Put it on the first floor and she got on it and did 15 min. Her butt was sore for weeks so she bought a padded seat. Nope, still not using it. But I do 10-15 3 times a week and it is boring at first. But now only boring for first 5 min. I have weights in the handlebar basket and after 5 pedaling with arm stuff I forget what I am doing and look down and HEY! 15 min. Shower time.

Hook a car alternator to it, with an inverter for 120 vac.....

I guess I am the opposite of others here. We did buy an exercise bike for here at home. And some weights. And I made an exercise bench for my wife which she says she uses.

attachment.php

But I found that the exercise bike that I could afford was really not adequate. And it was quite uncomfortable and had few adjustments to help that. Well yes, it was a cheap one. After a series of physical therapy sessions following bypass surgery, I was told about an exercise facility run by the same hospital where I could continue my therapy at low cost, so I checked it out. I had been a member of a facility in Iowa which I thought was quite good and it cost several hundred a year, even with a discount due to my employer. But this facility blew them away. They easily had twice the new equipment, two nice swimming pools, various ball courts, and two tracks, indoor and outdoor. And for seniors the cost was only $41 a month. I had my credit card out before you could count to a one-thousandth.

I have been a member ever since. And my home exercise bike is just gathering dust. By now I have probably spent enough to buy two real nice exercise bikes, but I have my choice of dozens of various exercise machines, weight machines, and just plain weights. I can swim after exercising - I love swimming and it is great exercise. And then there is the hot tub. Ahhhhhhhhh!!

Yes, my home exercise bike is gathering dust. Anyone want it?

Motivation seems to be the hard part, at least for me.

Best thing I did was find a few friends and start the OAFS (Old Aging Fellows Sports) - most of us early 70's. We started out doing something different each week (disc golf, basketball, badminton . . .). The idea was that if we kept at it we could be become OAFS 2.0 - the Old Agile Fellows Sports group. We settled on hikes and tennis twice a week -- it's what worked for most of us. We aim to get elevation on the hikes, a bit winded in tennis. Then replace electrolytes with a beer at one of the local brew pubs after.

I was coming off "6 months to live" with cancer and the hikes helped a lot. The tennis has helped all of us on the agility part. Each us took a tumble or two in the beginning - I cracked my wrist. One guy dropped out. But the rest of us look forward to it three continuous years later.

For a while we also hired a "Therapilates" instructor once a week - a friend had a big enough space. Wives joined in and $10 a head covered it. This was terrific, and the wives had great fun at our expense. But, sadly the instructor and her husband moved away. We'd do it again, but haven't found another instructor willing to put up with mostly incorrect old dudes.

Dog works as a best buddy, too.

Back