What's new
What's new

OT: Have these pole climbing shoes been done before?

What kind of pole are you going to climb with that? Can't think of any that would need climbed that don't taper from bottom to top.

What kind of pole are you going to climb with that? Can't think of any that would need climbed that don't taper from bottom to top.
I ain't climbing, was just wondering if it had been done before,which seemed extremely likely but I didn't know what they are specifically called. Limy Sami has answered .

Concrete poles like in the video are very popular in SE Asia. Imma guessing "Spike" shoes wont work that well on concrete poles.

No ankle support with these, that I can see. Also, how often does one climb something that is the same size from the bottom to the top? JMO, YMMV....

Yup. Insect and fungus resistant.

OTOH, they have SNAILS that eat concrete to build their shells, so not quite impervious...

They were installing this Hi-line when I was there, interesting molded pieces,
I have to assume there is a long threaded rod thru the center ?

As I saw some arms clocked at different angles.

All concrete, I noticed a very fine surface to the stuff.

Hoy y manana habra cortes de luz en el norte de la provincia | Energia, Electricidad, actividades, andacollo, Barrancas, Chos Malal, epen

Last edited:
To some extent the basic idea is the same as climbing tree stands.

One big issue for linemen is not only the taper but also various obstructions that could snag such a tightly fitted strap while climbing. That includes poles which still have installed climbing spikes starting at some distance above the ground and a man wearing spiked boots can easily use them to climb higher.

Also, how often does one climb something that is the same size from the bottom to the top? JMO, YMMV....

I don't think a small taper would present a problem. The angle of the clamp will change as the pole gets smaller near the top, but the 'shoe' where you place your foot could be fitted with a pivot to compensate.

Look up "column climbers". We looked at them to work on W-beam legged signs on the interstate before we got a bucket truck. As an aside, highway signs are made to break away at the bottom if hit so nobody felt comfortable tying themselves to the post and climbing up to the top to make the connection to the craned in sign. If I was back doing ironwork they would be the cats ass.Not spamming, just pointing out the similarities

Back