What's new
What's new

OT. heads up 1000km/h achieved, mph to follow next year

woohoo! that is bloody fantastic. Gave me goosebumps watching that and it's not even close to its potential yet. Really cool to see this, thanks Billtodd. Last I read a while back was that they'd run out of funding and mothballed the project before they could get to SA.

Surprising to see how much the nose of the car oscillated around the guide line. Things must get squirrelly once you get above 500mph I guess?!

BTW, I once read that Andy Green was picked to pilot the original car way back when because he displayed next to no change in his biometrics whatever they through at him in simulations. Stone cold chap under pressure.

What's the big deal? It's not overall the fastest (Thrust with Greene). It didn't even break Sound.

But the sound effects were very dramatic.

R

What's the big deal? It's not overall the fastest (Thrust with Greene). It didn't even break Sound.

But the sound effects were very dramatic.

R

The big deal is that it is back on track after funding problems. Their plan ,this year, was to test to 600mph to check and confirm fluid dynamics (I'm guessing that is part of their new funding) . Next year they are due to get the hybrid rocket motor that will accelerate the machine past Mach 1 .

Interestingly the delay has enabled them to dump the IC engine (first F1 then Jag) that was to power the oxidiser pump, and instead use an electric motor , much simpler , the batteries will store enough charge for the second return run.

In Perth the Aussie invader is being built using a liquid propellant rocket engine.YouTube

Yes, I watched it.

It looks good , but with fuming nitric acid oxidiser that is one scarry machine! He is a brave man to sit behind a few tonnes of that stuff! I wish him all the best.

In the past rocket's have lacked the endurance (or rather fuel) to get good average speeds , this one seems much better thought out .

I wondered if it was built with the mach1 record in mind and later adapted to try 1000mph , it's been a while in construction.

BTW, I once read that Andy Green was picked to pilot the original car way back when because he displayed next to no change in his biometrics whatever they through at him in simulations. Stone cold chap under pressure.

Oh he's cool alright.

On a BBC radio prog (can't remember which one) a guy on the team said of Andy Green (I believe an ex fighter pilot) that after a ''good run'' at some ungodly velocity, (and no doubt a few hairy moments) while everybody was whooping and back slapping, Andy Green - who is above all a mathematician - who should really be a ''washed out jelly'' would be deep in to the run data analysing it for his mistakes.

Yet OTOH look at him in the video, he's chatting away - just like the guy in the pub, explaining things in a way us mere mortals can understand.

When we build em - we build em good.

Back