What's new
What's new

OT - Helmet Visor Tinting

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
OT to be sure. Posted due to the vast cross section that the forum enjoys, and hoping someone in the field will have some relevant, factual input/options.

I have a helmet that the OEM does not offer a visor in the tint/color that I am seeking, but does offer clear visors that are modest enough of cost to try murderfying one if a known method might work. However, I've seen so many admonitions against using the window tint films that I'm not sure I want to risk throwing away the money, ( and nearly more importantly ) time and effort. If I knew that I could reasonably expect some manner of success, I would not mind nearly as much.

Can anyone relate either actual personal experience or professional experience that would allow one to apply a metallic tint to a clear visor?

OEM of my helmet does not offer what I am seeking.

I'm looking for this result -
image_5ea0d0a0-e28d-40a8-829c-27d328d239dc.jpg

Check out stained glass spray paint. I tinted the headlights on my truck Yellow. I put a thin tint on them so I don't know how dark I could have gone. Krylon makes it.

We got polycarbonate visors gold plated to use around molten metal, looking in moulds, ladles etc, really good visors, wish I had them sooner, perhaps my eyes would be better, anyhow I think it was vapour deposition, they sent some really funky looking visors with a smattering of osmium or palladium
So I know it’s done
Mark
gold hot metal visor - Google Search

OP not a normal human.
It is not the look so much but a block of wavelengths that may be the deal?
The tint coverings slabs may work but not so great due to distortion.
I will guess that you seek a reasonable price and or easy to apply.

Why the gold tint/color? How does this blocking help in use?
Bob

There is a problem with "pictures".

Unless you know which parts of the spectrum are being transmitted, and which wavelengths are being absorbed or reflected. The "coating" required to achieve a "look" is very difficult to "imagineer". ;-)

Gold has just about the best Infra red reflection of any metallic coating. Perfect for hot metal enviornments. And such a classy look.
Not to bad as a static dissipation film either.

OP not a normal human.

Bob, I laughed FAR too much and too long after reading that. I'll take that as a compliment, though admittedly do not know what I've done to deserve it. Thank you, Sir.

I will guess that you seek a reasonable price and or easy to apply.

Why the gold tint/color? How does this blocking help in use?
Bob

Scouting Real Estate from alternative perspectives.

Login • Instagram

127697767_404844597327606_7657099355903838584_n.jpg

So, this is what it is now. Part of this is being able to have fun with your friends, and some times communications would be better/easier if face was even mildly visible to others. I can swap that out for a clear one, but that does nothing to shield my eyes so need sunglasses. ( Although, that would admittedly not be nearly as cool looking. ) OEM makes three styles. This one, clear, and "Bronze". I've seen another brand's metallic Orange version and I liked it, but brands don't interchange. I can get a spare clear visor for ~$35 and wondered if I could get reasonably close to what I want with some process I am not aware of.

Many motorcycle visors feature a pinlock system which then allows you to fit any pinlock insert. There might be something similar for your application.

F that, looks like a couple of minutes waiting to die and failing, biggest problem wouldn’t be a visor, incontinence seems a more pressing issue, I’d need a visor made of 1/8th plate so I couldn’t see
Mark

There is a technique for spray slivering telescope mirrors. You can find it here:

A: Step-by-step instructions - Spray Silvering Telescope Mirrors

It deposits a real silver coating. You will need to figure out how to deposit just enough, that may be tricky. The telescope people want very high reflection so if it almost opaque it doesn’t matter to them. It could be hard to get it both thin and even. Also it is silver, so it will tarnish. That won’t look cool. You maybe able to overcoat it with clear coat.

But half the fun is in the experimenting.

Or you could find someone with a big enough vacuum chamber to aluminize it.

Used MonoKote on model planes before.
A plastic film that is applied with a iron and shrinks to fit.
Some model builders like the look of wing spares that are visible.
This type of covering can be replaced when scratched.
Not convinced that it is worth a big expense to get the visor coated professionally.

Been available for decades.

F that, looks like a couple of minutes waiting to die and failing, ...

We're just different.
icon14.png
It's definitely not for everyone. To me, it's quite the opposite. Not just waiting to die, and flying one's body instead of simply falling. There are actually a fair number of people here that also do it. I was surprised how many. As the saying goes, "Get busy living, or get busy busy dying."

Yeah really though look up tint film. I’m positive you can find anything you need From a supplier

This was actually my first and immediate thought. Having tinted an innumerable number of vehicle and household windows in my lifetime, it seemed a no-brainer. However, while searching Gore's Interwebs, google says that it rarely works well, due to the compound curvature issues. Admittedly, this was from largely what could be categorized as Harry Hamfist users, and relating to murdercycle visors. Still... they're similar enough I would think. I may still try it. I was simply thinking that there may be someone here that has worked in this type of ( optical related ) industry before, or has relevant experience doing similar, or by alternative means.

To me jumping out of a plane definitely fits getting busy dying, my respect to your tungsten testicular appendage, I’ve never tried it, perhaps I’m a late developer like my teacher said!
I’ll come over and you can throw me out of a plane, I’m not scared of heights at all
Mark

IMO you would probably get the best results by doing a "Franknenvisor" transplant.

Find a suitably tinted visor with the right size and contour and graft it onto your mounting brackets.

I don't think any DIY tints/films would give suitable results.

PS: A friend used to fly for the Marines and he said a gold-flashed visor was about a $500 option on a flight helmet. Apparently some pilots spent the money because in a dogfight that would let you look into the sun and see an enemy that otherwise would have you cold.

Astronaut visors are gold-flashed for similar reasons because without atmosphere it is vital for EVA operations due to the intense sunlight.

Bob, I laughed FAR too much and too long after reading that. I'll take that as a compliment, though admittedly do not know what I've done to deserve it. Thank you, Sir.

Jumping out of a perfectly functioning air plane is the definition of not normal.
I somehow knew you where a LSD addict. Let's Sky Dive.
Not for me, no way. I get troubled on a Ferris wheel.
Tint sheet and the double contour, I wonder if some heat (hair dryer) during application or slits outside field of view would help.
I sure do see a wrinkle problem here.
On glass this optical coating easy (but not cheap), not so easy for plastics a face shield would be made of.
Life is not easy for the crazy. If it not a challenge it would not be fun.
Bob

Back