What's new
What's new

OT:Help with plumbing leak, best fix for this fitting, W/pic

Cuda

Hot Rolled
I've only messed with copper and PVC plumbing before, I just found a spewing leak in my crawlspace, what kind of plumbing is this and whats the best way to fix it? The tubing has a marking inside a rectangle box that says NSF-pw. The house was built at the end of 1996. The big tubing is about .860 O.D. and the small top tube is .625 O.D.,the leak is on the left side in the picture and is spewing straight up against the floor, any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Attachments

• leak 2.jpg
    leak 2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3,590
Cuda,

I believe that is a PEX fitting. It takes a special installation tool to attach the plastic tube to the fitting but I think other than that, it's a real easy repair. I would call a plumber for sure.

Stuart

Hard to tell from the picture but if that pipe is gray colored it is possibly part of a class action recall/lawsuit, you likely have other leaks as well. Definitely get a real plumber involved.

Yep it is PEX, most of the time good stuff never seen one leak, I made a good crimper out of a pair of old 24" bolt cutters to crimp the copper rings.

Hard to tell from the picture but if that pipe is gray colored it is possibly part of a class action recall/lawsuit, you likely have other leaks as well. Definitely get a real plumber involved.

It's white tubing, not the bad polybutylene stuff "I think" I really don't want to call a plumber even though I know a plumber, I'd rather fix it myself. I'll even buy a tool if needed.

You may be dealing with bum brass. There are recalls and class actions afoot. The issue for at least some of those cases is that the zinc leaches out - "dezincification".

I would get a new T and some crimp rings, rent or borrow the crimper, and replace that one. If there is enough slack to cut off the connector and crimp on to the uncrimped PEX, that would be best. If you can't, cut the crimp rings off with a Dremel tool without cutting the PEX (yeah, right) clean out the inside with a rolled up rag or bottle brush and crimp on the new T. You might check your water pressure to see that it is only around 50 pounds. If it is above that check / replace the pressure reducing valve if city water or your pump shut off switch. Our city water pressure can be as high as 200 pounds.

My local Home De Pot has crimpers for rent, or for sale.

I have seen push on fittings that are supposed to work on copper or PEX. I'm skeptical, maybe someone here has experience with them.

While you are down there crawling around like a snake, check all the other ones you can see. If most of them are leaking you may have a recall, or sue somebody situation.

If the ones you can see are leaking, the ones in the walls are probably leaking.

Hopefully you have just one Friday-going-home-time connection.

Paul

Last edited:
Could be a poor/bad crimp,leak started, got worse etc.

it is critical that the band be crushed to a specific size.

If you rent,buy a tool, test the crimp size,(uses a gauge) before you crimp your actual line.
Good crimpers have an adjustment.

I have used the shark bite fittings to install a water line for an ice maker just make sure you have some slack and you need to cut the line back to an area where it has'nt been flared out they work pretty good

i would use shark bite fittings instead of PEX. i hate that pex stuff. i talked to a real plumber and he only uses copper pipe never pex, copper is cheaper in the long run and wont leak like that.

It looks like you have a corrosion issue as well. You might want to check and mabey replace the brass as well. Looks like it has been electrically reacting with the steel bands.

I think I know why plumbers don't like that stuff. I can completely replumb an old house in a days time. All my connections are at the hot and cold manifolds and the other connections are at the point of use. A separate line for everything including a shut off valve for each line. I have the grey line that was recalled. It has been in for 18 years and never a leak. The crimp rings are copper. My advise would buy the crimper and a few rings and fittings in case you need to change something in the future. Kenny

the crimp rings are copper. they do not look like any of then got crimped down tight enough. They also make stainless crimp rings(different design) that use the same tool for all common sizes. Make sure you buy pex fittings not hose barb stuff. for a small job like this it may be cheaper to use sharkbite rather then buy thew crimper tool.
Lowes and Home depot are getting rid of the crimp rings, crimper and fittings and switching to only sharkbite. The shark bites for this job will probably cost over $50. with true pex fitting and rings might be $10 plus crimper cost around $50 They do sel lthe pex in 20 foot pieces, keep it out of direct sun.
Bill D.

I think you will need a new tee and three nipples

Call a plumber. lol.

You can fix that as suggested for little time and trouble...who calls a freakin' plumber? Women, that's who.

Back