Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Call a plumber. lol.

You can fix that as suggested for little time and trouble...who calls a freakin' plumber? Women, that's who.
    if it's been leaking for 11 years, I don't think the bad joint is a real problem anymore

2. Likes muckalee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Call a plumber. lol.

You can fix that as suggested for little time and trouble...who calls a freakin' plumber? Women, that's who.
    OR... There is a sewer/septic problem.. "Sorry Honey, I don't know anything about that better call roto rooter".

4. Likes Rudd liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    It's white tubing, not the bad polybutylene stuff "I think" I really don't want to call a plumber even though I know a plumber, I'd rather fix it myself. I'll even buy a tool if needed.
    What you have is low-end slam-bam-on-to-the next quick-and dirty, so most anything will be an improvement.

Faster, better, long-term CHEAPER to cut it out and do it over with "Shark-Bite" for that tee and other couplings.

Description of the leak and the look of it in the photo sez you'll have to cut it back to shed a failed end, and it prolly wont stretch!

The fewer joints and couplings, the better, so just run clear to where you'll find another of it's tribe plotting and scheming the NEXT leak.

Mind - my only use for PEX is a temporary line whilst I'm doing proper-Copper, and even then I use the red stuff - HW rated.

Neat thing about Shark-Bites is the release "C" tool and that you can open and close a joint, swivel it, mix PEX one side, proper-Copper the other so as to progressively clean up the plastic shite, one run at a time or simply change yer mind about where and how to run it.

Then yer done.

For a national average of about 80 years for Copper. Prolly be longer-yet they didn't demo the whole house for wider roads, shopping centers and such and stop the clock now and then.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    "Sorry Honey, I don't know anything about that ...".
    I’ve been remodeling/rehabbing houses as a hobby for 30+ yrs.

My friends, family and wife know better
    It sucks to be me.

7. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And for the person 11 years ago bad mouthing Pex and promoting copper it depends. The well water in my area will corrode copper pipes. I should know I am going to redo the house with Pex. The worst pipe in the world is Orangeburg pipe. Somehow even though it should have been phased out by the late 70's the line coming in from my well runs through that crap and this house was built in the early 80's. That was a joy to patch when it sprung a leak.

9. Likes steve45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    And for the person 11 years ago bad mouthing Pex and promoting copper it depends. The well water in my area will corrode copper pipes. I should know I am going to redo the house with Pex. The worst pipe in the world is Orangeburg pipe. Somehow even though it should have been phased out by the late 70's the line coming in from my well runs through that crap and this house was built in the early 80's. That was a joy to patch when it sprung a leak.
    Agreed, had to replumb a house for that very reason. I'm still a fan of PVC myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think Orangburg was in competition with the other worst pipe company. Orangburg won out. In the 50's and 60's they made drainage and sewage pipe. All it was, was a bunch of tar wrapped cardboard shit spun on a mandrel. But it was cheap, so the builders wanted it. We never put any in, but sure took a lot out. Some collapsed within a year because water soaked within the pipe and weakened it. Fancy that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And for the person 11 years ago bad mouthing Pex and promoting copper it depends. The well water in my area will corrode copper pipes. I should know I am going to redo the house with Pex.
    Better-off to re-LOCATE the house to where yah can get less aggressive WATER, mate!

I once had a well with mineral salts as would permeate the molecular structure of the poly, stain then embrittle it. About three to four year life.

More than 80 years, the "old" family farm had Iron stain pretty bad. Tuberculated pipe rather than corrode it. G'Mum had rain barrels for laundry.

Whole two generation still had their natural teeth into the mid and late 90 years of age though. Had natural Fluorides as well as Iron.

Here (Loudoun County) after MANY years as "fastest growing County in America", Loudoun Water has had to bring new sources online. NOW it limes-up a cawfee pot in very short order and reeks of far more Chlorine than 30-plus years back.

OTOH, what you said, I'm glad I installed the new Type K Mueller Plumb Sheild 4 foot down under the driveway within a curved MD poly pull conduit with 1200/1500 lb pulling anchors each end! Should outlast ME, but if not? It's already set up for pulling, tested to insure that WORKS, too.. not digging and re-paving!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    I think Orangburg was in competition with the other worst pipe company. Orangburg won out. In the 50's and 60's they made drainage and sewage pipe. All it was, was a bunch of tar wrapped cardboard shit spun on a mandrel. But it was cheap, so the builders wanted it. We never put any in, but sure took a lot out. Some collapsed within a year because water soaked within the pipe and weakened it. Fancy that.
    I made custom sleeves to repair my Orangeburg pipe leak. The crap had turned oval. I was like WTF is this? I had never seen it before. Repairing the damn pipe to the well took me the better part of a day. I also slopped everything real good with resin and made a mold to fit around the outside. I wonder what a plumber would have done? Probably said "screw fixing that crap" and quoted replacing the whole line with PVC.

14. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Better-off to re-LOCATE the house to where yah can get less aggressive WATER, mate!

I once had a well with mineral salts as would permeate the molecular structure of the poly, stain then embrittle it. About three to four year life.
    I think there are inline treatment systems you can install for a couple thousand dollars, but it is too late for that. I will just keep patching leaks till I have time to do most of the repipe. Going to try to do everything but the attic myself. My broken down ass doesn't belong crawling around in an attic.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

11 year old necro post brought back from the dead by a SPAMMER....jeesh.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think there are inline treatment systems you can install for a couple thousand dollars, but it is too late for that. I will just keep patching leaks till I have time to do most of the repipe. Going to try to do everything but the attic myself. My broken down ass doesn't belong crawling around in an attic.
    Presently working on over-ceiling insulation replacement, inpection and prep for a new roof from the INSIDE, and I'll STILL take the damned attics-over vs crawl-spaces-under four times out of five.

Fumigate/bug-fog, run the fans, go in a day later, any "tenants" have de-camped or just died.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Presently working on over-ceiling insulation replacement, inpection and prep for a new roof from the INSIDE, and I'll STILL take the damned attics-over vs crawl-spaces-under four times out of five.

Fumigate/bug-fog, run the fans, go in a day later, any "tenants" have de-camped or just died.
    Non issue for me. I have never owned a house with a crawl space. I would pick attic over that also.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Non issue for me. I have never owned a house with a crawl space. I would pick attic over that also.
    We didn't for long. Ran timbers under it. Jacked it up, built stairs, lived in it all summer while a krew hand-dug drains, a basement & root-cellar, poured footers & slab, built walls, set 'er back down, built new stairs, nicer and SHORTER!.

Wuddn't yah know it, displaced Copperhead snakes didn't want to leave home, took up residence under the new stairs!

"Temporarily". You'd have to know bored Hillbilly kids and a common cultivating hoe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We didn't for long. Ran timbers under it. Jacked it up, built stairs, lived in it all summer while a krew hand-dug drains, a basement & root-cellar, poured footers & slab, built walls, set 'er back down, built new stairs, nicer and SHORTER!.

Wuddn't yah know it, displaced Copperhead snakes didn't want to leave home, took up residence under the new stairs!

"Temporarily". You'd have to know bored Hillbilly kids and a common cultivating hoe.
    I have yet to see a copperhead other than two road killed ones. The black snakes are pretty common, racers, rats, and ring necks. I actually have had two black racers invite themselves into my shop. You would think the noise would keep them away. I often get toads and lizards coming in, maybe the snakes were looking for dinner.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have yet to see a copperhead other than two road killed ones. The black snakes are pretty common, racers, rats, and ring necks. I actually have had two black racers invite themselves into my shop. You would think the noise would keep them away. I often get toads and lizards coming in, maybe the snakes were looking for dinner.
    More Copper snakes see YOU than you ever see of THEM. Cautious as snakes go, and wisely so. Lot more things in this world can put-paid to a small snake with a nasty venom, but not a huge amount OF it than the reverse.

Dinner, warmth, safe place to molt ... or bear young' uns - Blacksnake being ovoviviparous as they are - Coppersnakes NOT.

They love to steal eggs outta the chicken house. Not ordinarily the stoopidest of snakes, but still.. Swallowing the old glass and porcelain doornobs G'Mum used to keep hens on a nest was ever' bit as foolish as goin' inta Politics.

Problematic to steal and swallow more fake stuff than yah can manage to s**t back OUT before it f**ks up yer game!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    11 year old necro post brought back from the dead by a SPAMMER....jeesh.
    Yep, oh, well.

While I'm here I might as well add my two cents.

We just recently had two bathrooms remodeled and had the plumber run PEX extensions to the attic so I can convert the entire house eventually. Our original copper pipe is lousy. They don't make it like they did 70 years ago. We've had FIVE leaks in walls and slabs with copper.

Oh, yea, the plumber used Shark Bite connectors. Two of them leaked the day after he left. NO Shark Bite connectors for me!

I've also got a 1980s vintage mobile home at the lake. It has polybutylene piping that has leaked. I've got to replace it with PEX. I HOPE I can crimp polybutylene-to-PEX fittings on and pull it through the structure, but I doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Yep, oh, well.

We just recently had two bathrooms remodeled and had the plumber run PEX extensions to the attic so I can convert the entire house eventually. Our original copper pipe is lousy. They don't make it like they did 70 years ago. We've had FIVE leaks in walls and slabs with copper.

Oh, yea, the plumber used Shark Bite connectors. Two of them leaked the day after he left. NO Shark Bite connectors for me!

I've also got a 1980s vintage mobile home at the lake. It has polybutylene piping that has leaked. I've got to replace it with PEX. I HOPE I can crimp polybutylene-to-PEX fittings on and pull it through the structure, but I doubt it.
    This is easy...

Silly but works...

Get a fishtape and run it through the pipe to the other side.

Now wrap electrical tape on fishtape and pull until it comes out other side.

Now add a few feet.

Slide a union on and press it into old pipe.

Slide new pex over fishtape until it touches old pipe and trim just short of fishtape.

Slide other end on the union and wrap with tape.

Place hook on fishtape and tape to pex.

Wrap this end.

Now pull old pipe with fishtape being pulled too.

Helper to guide other end.

Fishtape prevents separation.

After finished shock to clean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Yep, oh, well.

Several years ago, now. I went and had a chat with our County Head of "Enforcement" - the guy the Inspectors answer to.

Handed him a great fat printout about Copper under-slab leaks all over Florida.

Idiots had been spec'ing the Copper be "protected' by ribbed poly where they USED to use Armaflex foam - same as HVAC.

Naturally, the ribs rubbed and exposed fresh Copper due to thermal and vibration movement. Naturally the Copper formed a new protective layer. Naturally this could only continue until the Copper was "used up". Then there was an under-slab leak. All OVER Florida.

Guess whom ELSE was doing the same thing, "right here, in Northern Virginia", and why I carried in a sample of what I wanted to do instead:

- Type K, Meuller "Plumbshield". Has a polyethylene jacket shrunk-on at the factory. No ribs. No rubbing.

- Polyethylene foam - same family of plastic.

- Medium-density linear polyethylene well piping - same family of plastic.

He had HEARD of the study, been unable to find a copy, was delighted to have it, and happy to green-light my alternative.

As to WHICH Copper? Yazz. They are NOT all the same.

Hong Kong we have three grades.

Imported Chinese made=risky.

Imported Australian made=safe

And Imported Mueller plumbshield. Near-as- dammit "forever".

Poured right into the concrete, our block of flats. Not a thing wrong with it when I demoed the wall 30+ years after it was initially done.

NB: if a Shark-Bite, or even the cheap copies leaks? The joint wasn't properly seated and/or the tubing was more out-of-round than average. And/or they cheated and used Type "M" when "L" wudda been right and "K overkill except for burial. Type "K" will stand seven cycles of hard freeze/thaw. Or more.

Simply open it up, apply yer rounding tool, re-seat it. Done.

Worse case, it has been damaged by trying to seat Copper with raggedy-ass cuts, scars, or burrs. Just release all legs, clean-up the tubing, swap in a new one. No torch, no fire hazard, no need to swing wrench or crimping tool.

PEX? Cross-linked. But it is still plastic. At the molecular level? BIG molecules. Lot of open spaces. Slower time-bomb than Polybutadiene, surely.

But still a time-bomb, nonetheless. At the nano-level? It's a f*****g SPONGE!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check out our plumbing services and well drilling services, as we provide the cheapest and best well drilling and plumbing services. To check all our services visit our online website to get a free consultation. Click Well Drilling to visit our website now...
    Also, check our other website according to your locations:-
    Cornelius Well Drilling - Well Drilling | Well Service | Cornelius Well Drilling
    Mooresville Well Drilling - Well Drilling | Well Repair | Well Drilling Mooresville
    Well Drilling Davidson - Well Drilling | Well Drilling | Well Drilling Davidson
    Huntersville Well Drilling - Well Drilling| Well Service| Huntersville Well Drilling