What's new
What's new

OT- HGR Surplus... know anyone that goes there almost every day ? Reason I ask...

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
was curious if there are dealers that live nearby going there quite often to see what they have got in before it hits the regular floor ?

I ask because I've been there perhaps eight times over the years and some times I see some frustrating deals I missed in the "sold" area and wondering if whoever bought the stuff had an inside track on it ?

OTOH, I usually don't follow their listings all that closely and I could easily have just missed machines that did indeed go on their website for a day or two first. Speaking of which recently bought an Emco FB4 mill from them where it's a good thing I wasn't following so closely as I would have paid $1,400 more for it if I had seen two weeks earlier it when they got it in !

Still, curious about my first question if anyone knows...

While I don't go every day, There are people that I see every time I go. They seem to be buying things that will go in a shopping cart to sell on eBay. As for the machine tools it would be pretty naive to think that the salesmen don't have dealers or shop owners that slip them a C note now and again to let them know when something good hits the floor.

I haven't dealt with them. The first problem is distance. The second is that I am reluctant to buy anything I can't test run. They seem to have low prices, though.

You don't seem to like my suggestions so I will keep them to myself. But I do want to thank you for posting their name: I have added them to my search list.

was curious if there are dealers that live nearby going there quite often to see what they have got in before it hits the regular floor ?

I ask because I've been there perhaps eight times over the years and some times I see some frustrating deals I missed in the "sold" area and wondering if whoever bought the stuff had an inside track on it ?

OTOH, I usually don't follow their listings all that closely and I could easily have just missed machines that did indeed go on their website for a day or two first. Speaking of which recently bought an Emco FB4 mill from them where it's a good thing I wasn't following so closely as I would have paid $1,400 more for it if I had seen two weeks earlier it when they got it in !

Still, curious about my first question if anyone knows...

I do see a number of items sell within a day of posting. I saw eight lots posted yesterday that I found interesting and four of them sold before 8AM this morning. But far more get discounted at least once before selling.

I try to go once a month and always use the same salesman so we get to know each other and what I’m looking for. Most of the salesman still don’t know anything about machine tools, but the good ones are willing to go back and forth with you and get better pictures of things and serial numbers for you. Can get a little frustrating when they say things like “what’s a Morse taper?”

It took a while- I'm not a high volume buyer, but after working with one salesman a bit, I expressed frustration that I always missed out on nice looking machines (I was looking for a decent Bridgeport at the time). I asked him to email me when he saw one come in, and after a bit he did. I ended up with a nice looking nice running machine for a decent price.

I despise doing business with any place where 'you have to know someone'.

That's largely because I don't know anyone. But also because it's just one more obstacle in achieving a goal.

I do not know.
However, McKean Machinery used to post a "coming in" list.

I noticed some items never made it in.

I assume to pre-sell the item before shipping it in, maybe save the freight
cost's, and drop ship it directly.

I'm new. Looking for a Hi Cell 23B II like the one we have in our UK facility. Milacron, thanks for info in post from 2008 or so. If anyone can help, I have more specific details but don't want to waste your time. Thanks in advance.

Back