What's new
What's new

OT, Hopefully A Bit Of Fun: Most Hated Words & Phrases

EPAIII

Diamond
In another post Marty Feldman said,

"'Maker' is my new most hated word. Seems to be used by people who can't make anything."

-Marty-

That started me thinking. We must all have words and phrases that we do not like using or hearing.
I'll start it off with a couple more that I don't care for.

"Needs fixed" instead of "needs to be fixed" or just plain "broken", which would be both correct usage and shorter.

Well, I had two examples but can't remember the other one now. Perhaps later.

Artisanal, as in artisanal bread and the like. Bread made by anal artists - must be good...

And its older brother, Foodie. Foodie is a hip word for "likes to eat". Thanks, I'm heavy enough...

And yes, I'm not a fan of "maker" either. Like the idea of the type of workspace, not the cutesy name.

Situation
moving/going forward
eyes in the sky
boots on the ground
decimate (almost always used incorrectly)
very unique
surrounded on three sides

To move on to a slightly different topic, there are a number of TV programs that employ a disembodied voice to tell us what we can plainly see: Joe picks up a cup; so and so folds her arms; etc. Not voice overs ala Mike Rowe just added on bs.

Karl

INFUSED Don't want to put in writing my feelings about those responsible for infusing our lives with that word.

TEXTED Just hits my ears sideways.

"No Problem" (usually the biggest problem), "Trust me" (uggh), foodies saying "paired with", any product with 'easy' in the name or 'new and improved' seldom is....

"You can't miss it" is my all time favorite. Meaning my "I know my directions to your grandmother's funeral are sure to get you lost so I'll add cruel optimism."

"Maker" one who makes - presumably useful items from raw materaias. Financing, investing,,banking, managing, etc is not "making" it's "enabling"

"Taker" one who takes. If the taking occurs without equity "taker" is another word for "thief."

Noun suddenly used as verbs and vice versa. "Impact" in lieu of "affect,". for example.

Emoticons - "emoji" replacing words in text where meaning needs to be clear. Same with whatever you call "LOL" "IMO" etc. The world is not an extended peer group familiar with the favored fads of the core. Contrta proferentum should probably extend to communication in general..

Last edited:
A couple that bug me are "give back" and "deserve"

Anything given back must necessarily be returned to the person or organization that gave it to the one that currently posesses it, and anything deserved must in some extraordinary way be earned by the one who deserves it. I give to charitible organizations and individuals in need, and I've wanted things enough to spend money I've earned to buy them.

Put that cigarette out / smoking's bad for you

I love you

The cheques in the post

It's alright I won't get pregnant

That's the one you want ( how the F do you know what I want)

I'm a bit short until payday

You can say that, its racist / sexist / something phobic / etc etc etc (you get the idea)

It won't take you long

My mother etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Does my ass look big in this

WHY have you brought me flowers?

ATM machine (Expanded: Automated teller machine machine)

Interact (Incorrectly referring to "Interac", the debit card processing company)

Any references to banking "products" (as though they are tangible items)

And more related to machining:

I didn't have a problem with it last time (inferring that doing it the same way is undoubtedly the best way to do it this time)

Do your best (inferring that there's no measurable criteria by which your work can be judged right or wrong, so you're screwed either way)

"Pay their fair share" Used by politicians and other morons, to say I want someone elses money to be used for whatever, But I don't want to pay anything.
Fair is in the eyes of the beholder, not the folks who pay.

Customer asks "what's the price point?"

-Price point :dopeslap:

-Fan base :skep:

-Unprecedented :Yawn:

-Transparency :rolleyes5:

-Eco... anything! :rolleyes5: Sales pitch. (And I do care about the environment.)

-Founding Fathers :skep: :rolleyes5: Used to support/justify just about anything here in Utah. (Yes, I respect them. Just tired of hearing that phrase OVER and over and o v e r.

-Constitution :rolleyes5: Another boiler plate word used to justify many people's agendas. (Yes, I'm thankful for the US constitution.)

the one that is driving me crazy is "go ahead and" Seems like 75% the utube video making idiots are fixated with it. As in....."I'm going to "go ahead and" put the nut on the bolt. ARG!!!!!!! just say "I'm going to put the nut on the bolt" like a normal person.

they do it over and over, Its as bad as listening to our idiot PM who says "um" every three words.

From the responses I don't understand the question. I never want to hear "billet" , "aircraft aluminum" or "military grade" in front of a type of material ever again.

Back