OT- Hot Tank Solution - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    I suspect that Gary was well aware of what the minus sign is. However, he meant PLUS 68°F. Lookey here.
    Yes I meant PLUS 68F and yes it freezes. Pain in the ass putting heat tracing on lines and pumps and storing drums with a heat blanket

2. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did a search and came up with this:

Hot Tank Solution - SmokStak

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Smokestack site is almost a hobby homeowner site. I buy DRUMS of the powder for my hot tank, NOT one or two pounds. People that think hot tanks are mostly used for engine parts, are missing the boat. For machine tool rebuilding, they can't be beat. Scummy gear boxes with layers of paint just dissolve saving hours of labor.Once a person has a large hot tank and a steam cleaner, and the place to run them, life is simple. The hot tank removes all of the oil, so once the part is steam cleaned, it can go right into a glass bead cabinet. In less than one day, a gross machine is ready for paint. I have one hot tank that's two feet by three feet, by maybe two feet tall. Uses ONE hot water heater element to get the solution to boiling. I don't even use a thermostat any more. Turn it on, let the solution warm up with my parts inside, and when it's boiling, they're CLEAN. I have another that's eight feet long and NOT very tall, I use for long slides and tables.

So anyone that thinks a hot tank is only good for engines, is really spending too much time cleaning. Anything that can fit in a hot tank, saves a LOT of time if you're going to sand blast or glass bead. The paint just FLYS off the castings, instead of having to spend unnecessary time getting PAINT off.

I SHOULDN'T have needed to go on a search for hot tank chemicals, but I have THREE shop cats. I had my cardboard drum of soda in a plastic tub, protecting the drum from getting wet. WAY in the back corner of my shop. Turns out the cats figured this is where they needed to PEE. What a mess. I don't know how they could do it without burning their feet.STANDING in pure sodium hydroxide. This occurred over a period of a year. Ruined at least fifteen to twenty pounds of powder.