What's new
What's new

OT, how can I eliminate the password requirement to use my computer?

When I turn my computer on the first thing that comes up is a screen that requires a password. I have never had this until microsoft "updated" my computer to windows 10 without my permission. This has caused me no end of trouble. I got the printer working again but I hate the password requirement. No one else is here to use this computer anyway. How can I fix this?

Assuming that you care somewhat about security:

Even though it might be 'just you' using your computer, it's never really 'just you' if you're on the internet, because there is malware that attempts to take 'root privilege' as administrator. So you need to control that account, but should not be running as administrator, in day to day usage. The only way to not run as admin is to have a second account as a standard user, and I think you need passwords (or pins are more convenient) when there is more than one account on the machine.

You can lessen the need to sign in so frequently with password or pin by changing the time out before your screen goes into standby etc. You might consider getting a fingerprint reader, too, as a less intrusive way to sign back in, although a 4 digit pin is pretty quick and always works, whereas scanners are often subject to delays.

Security? Crackers!

What they want is for you to put all your files "in the cloud" so they can rifle through them and sell all your personal data to advertisers. Why would I want to cooperate with them in this?

I have "upgraded" to Windows 10 and that Log In window pops up every day when I start my computer. I just hit the big X and it goes away. So far, I have been able to do everything that I want without logging on to their CLOUD. And my files are on MY hard drive, not Microsoft's.

They also want me to log in to play Microsoft's games. They designed Windows 10 so that any previous games that I had will not work any longer. I wonder why. Now I want to play Solitaire or one of the other Microsoft games and they want me to log in. WHY should I have to log in to play a card game? Again, I just hit the X. I have to do it a couple of times before they give me the option of playing as a guest. So I pick that. But even so, my game is slowed down by requiring the use of the internet. Before Windows 10 the game program resided in your computer and the action was almost instant. Now I have to wait for slow internet traffic for a card to move. WHY?????????

All I can figure out is the computer geeks live in the ivory towers of the computer world. They have lightning fast internet service so they never see the problems. They must actually think that this is an improvement. In their minds, there is no problem. And I guess they would advise me to shell out hundreds or even thousands of dollars a month to get that same, lightning fast internet speed that they enjoy paid for by their employers (us actually). Microsoft can afford this. I can't. Wake up people, you are destroying your very product.

I will be checking out the suggestions above.

I had 7 and was perfectly happy with it, It did everything I needed, every thing worked. I was ready to go postal before I got the printer to print and scan again after the "update".
The very first thing I do on a Windows computer is turn off their stinking "updates". The next is to go into the hosts file and block off all the mickeysoft and adobe and google addresses I can find.

On Apple, there is a program called Little Snitch that makes it really easy to block all their phone-home behavior, which is equally disgusting. It's also a shock to see just how much spying is going on. No wonder the internet is slow, these assholes are checking on the color of our socks every five minutes.

On many Unixes you can just use a blank password, so all you have to do is hit "enter" and away ya go.

Or you could use OS/2. It's still alive, it's still single-user, and there's current versions of the common browsers available. It doesn't have any of this behavior. If'n I wuz stuck on x86 that's what I'd do. It's a nice system.

They must actually think that this is an improvement. In their minds, there is no problem.
It's not the ivory tower, it's that they make money off you. Not as an individual but as part of the 300 million people they monitor.

Worse yet, it's bad enough that they make money off you by selling your info : the point is to manipulate your life by the use of Big Data. What you see on teevee, what you can buy in the stores, what news goes into your brain, everything is decided by numbers now.

And they get those numbers by putting little spies in your underwear drawer. We live in a brave new world ...

On Apple, there is a program called Little Snitch that makes it really easy to block all their phone-home behavior, which is equally disgusting. It's also a shock to see just how much spying is going on. No wonder the internet is slow, these assholes are checking on the color of our socks every five minutes.

Yeah, that's what I run to block the 'tattle home' behaviour. Works fine.

PDW

The very first thing I do on a Windows computer is turn off their stinking "updates". The next is to go into the hosts file and block off all the mickeysoft and adobe and google addresses I can find.

On many Unixes you can just use a blank password, so all you have to do is hit "enter" and away ya go.

Or you could use OS/2. It's still alive, it's still single-user, and there's current versions of the common browsers available. It doesn't have any of this behavior. If'n I wuz stuck on x86 that's what I'd do. It's a nice system.

It's not the ivory tower, it's that they make money off you. Not as an individual but as part of the 300 million people they monitor.

Worse yet, it's bad enough that they make money off you by selling your info : the point is to manipulate your life by the use of Big Data. What you see on teevee, what you can buy in the stores, what news goes into your brain, everything is decided by numbers now.

And they get those numbers by putting little spies in your underwear drawer. We live in a brave new world ...

So is there a little snitch in windows 10?

If you are worried about such stuff (I'm not) don't use a smart phone, either Android (Google) or I-phone. And if you care about "them" reading though your emails, don't use Gmail... Google tells you upfront they will to target you with advertising etc.

If you are worried about such stuff (I'm not) don't use a smart phone, either Android (Google) or I-phone. And if you care about "them" reading though your emails, don't use Gmail... Google tells you upfront they will to target you with advertising etc.

I don't use any of those either or any of the other social media.

Tom

I have Windows 7. After watching the video, I want 10 even less.

Tom

I also have Windows 7, and after reading early complaints about forced upgrades to Windows 10 I installed the registry hacks that prevent forced upgrades.

When I was researching this I think I remember reading that there is a path to undo the upgrade and return to a previous OS but I can't remember the details. If I find them I will post an update.

I'm not sure if my phone qualifies as a smart one, but it does have a screen. I only use it for phone calls and infrequently for road directions. If Microsoft or others want to listen to my wife telling what to get at the grocery or asking when I will be back home, let them listen. I don't use GMail but wouldn't be surprised if mt provider was mining data from my e-mails. Sometimes it can be fun to throw in a word or two and see how long it takes to start getting "directed" ads for that item.

I wonder who monitors these BBs? Here is a random word: violin. I will report on ads I get for violins.

Cloud services and data harvesting under the guise of 'improving user experience' really run counter to the terms of the various NDAs I'm under. So cloud-free for me, unless it's the client's cloud under remote log-in to their system.

The way to stop auto-upgrade from 7 to 10 was to disagree to 10's terms and conditions. Poof, back to 7. But in moonlight's case, I think that ship has sailed. Even 7s updates installed the data harvesting telemetry back to MS, I believe.

Remember, if the 'service' is free, you're the product.

Chip

I also have Windows 7, and after reading early complaints about forced upgrades to Windows 10 I installed the registry hacks that prevent forced upgrades.

When I was researching this I think I remember reading that there is a path to undo the upgrade and return to a previous OS but I can't remember the details. If I find them I will post an update.

I came in one morning and I had been 'upgraded'

There was a little box that allowed me to undo it,and I did

Not sure what happens if you continue on.

Back