OT. How do you read your tools when the eyes are old? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I purchase a pair of these from eBay a few years ago. It sits in front of your existing glasses. And the focal length is a half a meter, with 3.5x magnification. The cheep plastic headset magnifiers have a problem where the focal length is about 6-8 inches from your face, and the depth of view is very short.
    Headband Dental Surgical Binocular Loupes 3.5X/5mm | eBay

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i gave up on the optivisor and just use a second pair of reading glasses. My regular readers are 2.5 diopter, when I need to see close I slip a pair of 1.0 or 1.25 on top of the 2.5s and it's perfect for reading a 100s scale or a mic. without the restricted field of vision of a magnifier.
    The surgeon's magnifiers are great, but good ones are expensive and cheap ones are super heavy and slide off my face.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Another for light, you said sunlight did the job, IMO fluorescent strip lighting isn't much good for fine work, ok for general lighting.
    As for machine lighting etc I find the old fashioned tungsten or halogen bulbs are best - and don't be mean on the watts, ........maybe it's just me but I'm not a lover of most LED lamps - the light colour is all wrong.
    You just need enough and you need the daylight bulbs, got 4 twin 54Watt H5 fixtures running daylight bulbs in a 10x20' space. The daylight bulbs are what makes the real difference though, anything you see in my shop looks exactly like it does outside the shop, takes a really bright day to be brighter than inside and that makes life so much easier.

With the LED's Sami you need the better ones and you need to chose the correct colour temperature for what you like. Me i like the brightest coolest white i can find which is very much a halogen like light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    You just need enough and you need the daylight bulbs, got 4 twin 54Watt H5 fixtures running daylight bulbs in a 10x20' space. The daylight bulbs are what makes the real difference though, anything you see in my shop looks exactly like it does outside the shop, takes a really bright day to be brighter than inside and that makes life so much easier.

With the LED's Sami you need the better ones and you need to chose the correct colour temperature for what you like. Me i like the brightest coolest white i can find which is very much a halogen like light.
    I have 8 four foot double fluorescent fixtures (40 watt bulbs), that were driving me up the wall--not bright, bulbs always going out, bad color temp, cool indoor temp even worse. I have a whole stack of bad bulbs. The cheap bigbox electronic ballasts aren't worth a crap. I swore I was not going to replace another one of those tubes, forcing me to do something else. So, some time ago, I was in Home Despot, and they had 11 watt, warm-white 2800'K color temp can-light replacement fixtures (normally approx $23), on firesale for $3.00. They have a bezel, clips and pigtail for the edison socket, and a nice modular LED source and reflector/heatsink. So I bought 36 of em, threw away the bezel, added a piece of metal strap to the module, screwed 4 of them to each of the shells of the fluroscent fixtures (bulbs removed, ballast and connectors removed), drilled a hole for the wires, wired them in parallel in each fixture shell . It's like daylight on a sunny day in there, very bright, warm (halogen like) color, what a difference, and each light can be rotated and tilted if desired. Getting MUCH more light, better color, and HALF the wattage(640 vs 350 watts) than the stinking fluorescents, and they come on immediately. I think I may open it as a clinic for Sunlight-Affected-Depression-Disorder treatment... Anyway, if you want a warm daylight/halogen color, just look for 2700-3000K color temp bulbs... Cheers.

5. Likes ferretlegger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I began noticing age-related difficulties in reading things like micrometer verniers about a year ago. Played around, unsuccessfully, with a lot of what is mentioned above. The solution, and for me it was a complete solution at least for the present, came with a visit to the ophthalmologist. I got a prescription for glasses that accounted for the differential loss of vision in my L & R eyes, a problem that could not be satisfactorily addressed by optivisors, drugstore-type readers, and so on. It was a problem that escaped my attention because its onset and progression were gradual. It was reminiscent of not having paid particular attention to my kid's growing up process until being startled one day when he asked about borrowing the car.

-Marty-
    Last edited by Marty Feldman; 03-14-2018 at 08:20 AM.

7. Likes ferretlegger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by car2 View Post
    I have 8 four foot double fluorescent fixtures (40 watt bulbs), that were driving me up the wall--not bright, bulbs always going out, bad color temp, cool indoor temp even worse. I have a whole stack of bad bulbs. The cheap bigbox electronic ballasts aren't worth a crap. I swore I was not going to replace another one of those tubes, forcing me to do something else. So, some time ago, I was in Home Despot, and they had 11 watt, warm-white 2800'K color temp can-light replacement fixtures (normally approx $23), on firesale for $3.00. They have a bezel, clips and pigtail for the edison socket, and a nice modular LED source and reflector/heatsink. So I bought 36 of em, threw away the bezel, added a piece of metal strap to the module, screwed 4 of them to each of the shells of the fluroscent fixtures (bulbs removed, ballast and connectors removed), drilled a hole for the wires, wired them in parallel in each fixture shell . It's like daylight on a sunny day in there, very bright, warm (halogen like) color, what a difference, and each light can be rotated and tilted if desired. Getting MUCH more light, better color, and HALF the wattage(640 vs 350 watts) than the stinking fluorescents, and they come on immediately. I think I may open it as a clinic for Sunlight-Affected-Depression-Disorder treatment... Anyway, if you want a warm daylight/halogen color, just look for 2700-3000K color temp bulbs... Cheers.
    By the way...These overhead LED lights are really impressive as far as illuminating a work area IMO. No, they aren't built like the Rock of Gibraltar nor do they resemble something made in the 1960's. However they do put out a lot of bright light for a shop.

Hyperikon LED Vapor Proof Fixture 4W (1W Eq), 4K (Daylight White), 41 lm, UL& DLC 4.2, Frosted Cover, Waterproof, IP65, 12-277V, Garage lighting, Car Wash, Warehouse, Walk in Freezer, 1-pack - - Amazon.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like the man said in #17, get your cataracts sorted. Before the op. I was blind as a bat,now if I look left I can see the Sydney Harbour bridge,if I look right I can see the Statue of Liberty. In good light I can read tomorrow's newspaper without any aids at all.

10. Likes ferretlegger liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At my first job as a machinist I got a lot of instruction from the shop-floor boss, who was also the company founder. The office suits would defer to him on any question. He was about 70 (this was around 1970) and his closeup vision was failing. One day he was working at the HLV next to mine and asked me to set his spring calipers to his scale because his eyes just weren't good enough. I had read a lot of old textbooks and knew what they were, but I also knew he usually used a fancy Etalon tenths mike, so the old-time calipers just didn't compute. For one thing, the parts he was turning were +/- .002 on the diameter. I looked at the guy at the next machine for help but he just looked up in the air like he didn't want to get involved. So with my young man's eye I set them, (to 49/64 or some other odd fraction nobody has bothered to memorize in decades) and the old man ran parts for the rest of the day. Good parts, and he was very fast without seeming to move at all quickly.

Of course I had to ask him about it later, and he explained that you can manipulate a small spring caliper a lot faster than a micrometer and it made for faster production. You had to have a feel for it, but if you had that you didn't need to see.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use one of these, I was not happy with various chinese ones, but the vintage Bausch and Lomb I got off ebay is excellent

loupe.jpg

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the daylight 6500 K colour

5000 K daylight is not as good for me, but it's available in off the shelf LED A36 light bulb style

If you have the 400 watt high intensity fixtures metal halides and such
    there are direct replacement corncob LED lights that fit the larger moen base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of my vision aids is a LED flashlight I carry in my pocket all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi
    I fitted magnifying lights.
    Magnifying Light fitted to lathe
    I also have a collection of loupes. I also use bi-focal magnifying safety glasses.

16. Likes dgfoster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More light, and digital micrometers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Goethe's last words were "Mehr licht" or "More light." Until today, I never realized he was a machinist.

19. Likes PeteM liked this post