What's new
What's new

OT? - How has the pandemic affected posts on this site?

richard newman

Titanium
Kinda wondering if you guys think the covid pandemic and extreme political turmoil these days has influenced the posts on this site.

I know for myself, I think I'm spending far more time here and responding more often, perhaps trying needing more "human contact" to compensate for the social isolation and anxiety I'm experiencing.

I also think I see more arguing and nasty personal shit going on, maybe again as a result of the unrest we're all experiencing. Or has it always been such?

I don't think we can underestimate how traumatized we've become, it's a hell of a lot of stress to face daily.

Certainly seems to me more animosity twords each other in the political threads. Not sure if it is covid caused or election caused or likely a combo of both. Just looked at the biden thread and saw at least the last 4 pages of nothing but ranting at each other. Maybe 1 or 2 "informative" posts mixed in there....

Just vote third party and avoid all the BS of the election. Sometimes they have better candidates anyway, just not as "exciting" as the main ones. Easy for us on the west coast, since the election will be decided before we are done voting anyway.

I think I read Idaho just has rescinded ALL covid orders, mandates etc... So we must be nearing the end of that situation, hope so anyway.

It's tough. I don't like being angry, and certainly not at specific people.

But I see this time as not too dissimilar to parts of 1930's Europe, with charismatic, if mad, leaders bringing disaster to their people. The desire of some to have their own dictator, their own corrupter of democratic norms is very strong, and I would not be sanguine if I just played "nice" to go along.

Historians will have a field day (career) with the djt regime.

It's tough. I don't like being angry, and certainly not at specific people.

But I see this time as not too dissimilar to parts of 1930's Europe, with charismatic, if mad, leaders bringing disaster to their people. The desire of some to have their own dictator, their own corrupter of democratic norms is very strong, and I would not be sanguine if I just played "nice" to go along.

Historians will have a field day (career) with the djt regime.

Why is it so few people ''see'' the correlations between the present day and the 1930's ? ...............or maybe they just won't admit to seeing them??????

Why is it so few people ''see'' the correlations between the present day and the 1930's ? ...............or maybe they just won't admit to seeing them??????

A complete lack of empathy in a lot of people.

As long as everything is rosy in their world, they can't seem expend the energy to understand the feeling of darkness in other peoples.

I mean, I'm personally doing pretty good. Have a broken arm and am still getting along ok. Not the rate of growth I'd like to see....but can't complain too much as a good number of my friends (all at 75k/yr+ salaries) are seriously struggling financially from changes made by their employers during the pandemic. Laid off or reduced hours. And they aren't changes that are going to return to the way they were...it's just the new normal.

People are yelling "open back up" without realizing that we are open.

The other thing it has done is changed the way we interact. I went out to eat for the first time in 8 months last week. I won't be doing it again. I now prefer the intimate at home dinner, even with takeout food.

I've spent more time in my gardens than ever.

The termite posted this,

"I have an address in Walla Walla, Washington you can ship it to for recycling as an IV drip nutrition supplement for a badass biker dude with a SERIOUS drug ass-iction to "just one more lick" of it."

Perfect termite! you are a stalker, you have manipulated an ex employee of mine, spilled both mine, and my wifes name on this forum, and you are not done yet are you, to cause me both personal, and financial damage.

And attempting to get others to come to my home to, beat, assault, and possibly kill me, by finally releasing my home address.

Yes, I really like you termite, and I am becoming more impressed with you all the time......

I do think there is an effect on the termite!

I went out to eat for the first time in 8 months last week. I won't be doing it again. I now prefer the intimate at home dinner, even with takeout food.
Jeeze, get your butt over here and we'll knock that right outta ya ! Come to the park on the weekend with 50,000 other people, old guys doddering, people playing music, guys painting poems on the sidewalk in water, fortune tellers, food booths, cheap crap booths, plants, jewelry, junk, groups of old ladies dancing some folk thing or other, kids running around screaming, attractive stuff in miniskirts, goofy clothes, Mclarens parked on the sidewalk, groups of drum-bangers and cymbal-crashers, sometimes lion dancers, did I mention snacks ? It's like the county fair every weekend.

You need to get out more :D

The termite posted this, I believe he has been inside too long...

"I have an address in Walla Walla, Washington you can ship it to for recycling as an IV drip nutrition supplement for a badass biker dude with a SERIOUS drug ass-iction to "just one more lick" of it."

Perfect termite! you are a stalker, you have manipulated an ex employee of mine, spilled both mine, and my wifes name on this forum, and you are not done yet are you, to cause me both personal, and financial damage.

And attempting to get others to come to my home to, beat, assault, and possibly kill me, by finally releasing my home address.

Yes, I really like you termite, and I am becoming more impressed with you all the time......

I do think there is an effect on the termite!

I find the numbers that indicate an increase in domestic discord odd to say the least. So I guess being "stuck" spending more time with your family is stressful. I thought that was what getting married and having a family was all about.

Vote third party, lol. That's also know as 'throwing away your vote'.

I dont see it that way.

If there is ever to any hope of getting out from this two sides of the same coin system we are stuck with now the third party guys need support and encouragement to help make that happen.
My take is that if more people vote for third party then more people will see it is OK to do that and more WILL do it. Maybe next time there is an election WITHOUT two good candidates, enough people will be OK with 3rd party and neither of the nothing candidates gets elected.

Besides, the national elections are decided before the west coast (where I am) is done voting. Here we can wait until the near the end and see the final result before we even go to the poll. So what would be the point of voting in an election that is already been decided?
2 reasons, neither of which I care about- 1. be able to say you were on the winning team or 2. be able to say, I fought the good fight and tried to get our guy in but....
State and local are a different matter than national in this regard.

Probably more than one factor at play. Not only are people feeling cooped up but we are close to an election that will determine the direction of the country for at least 4 years.

More indoor time probably equals more posts and more anxiety related to the election probably accounts for the increased hostility. Have you forgotten what things were like on PM around the 2016 election?

I find the numbers that indicate an increase in domestic discord odd to say the least. So I guess being "stuck" spending more time with your family is stressful. I thought that was what getting married and having a family was all about.

Couples vary. Some are stuck together like glue while others enjoy spending time away from the spouse. It's not that they don't love each other but part of a healthy lifestyle is spending time with friends, her with the gals and him with the guys.

What pandemic?

If people believe in and teach Darwinism or evolution in schools.

They should practice, what they preach.

What is wrong with telling them, the strongest of the species survives?

And to deal with it after all it makes the species stronger in the long run...

What pandemic?

If people believe in and teach Darwinism or evolution in schools.

They should practice, what they preach.

What is wrong with telling them, the strongest of the species survives?

And to deal with it after all it makes the species stronger in the long run...

Can't do that! Gummint tells us we gots to believe in Evo-lution, then does everything possible to prevent nature from taking it's course. Even encourages some critters to mate (marry) that have no more chance of reproducing than two rocks.

Given the apparently low mortality rate if we had used proven therapies for the really sick and let everyone else go about their business life would have returned to normal months ago. But that wouldn't serve an agenda of "Hope and Change".

Look at the phoniness re masks. They tell us we must wear them to protect OTHERS and then say nothing about thin pieces of cloth or masks with exhaust valves. Apparently all that matters is draping SOMETHING in front of your face for symbolic reasons.

Other than mandatory masks it's business as usual here in Indiana since mid June. Everything seems to be going fairly well. Kids are in school, sectional time for high school football. Big ten football started yesterday, game 5 of World Series tonight. My Guns and Roses and Brooks and Dunn concerts have reschedule dates.

On the downside I heard yesterday somewhere 800,000+ people in the US died or will die of diabetes related issues or some shit. I still don't personally know anyone that keeled over due to the flu bug. I agree with Scott if anything is different here or folks are uptight it's probably more as a result the upcoming election more than anything. Must still be lots of folks on the fence yet?

Just my 2 cents...

Brent

I think you all missed the biggest issue affecting the nastiness. It is the lack of moderation. Nowhere in the past history of PM in the 15 years I have been here would a POS troll like GBC allowed to live long, let alone to be made a mod. The other epidemic is TDS, and that is very real. There are about a dozen members mostly with TDS that have to start every rebuttal by hurling a bunch of 3rd grade level insults, 5 years ago that would not have been tolerated.

Back