OT, how quick has life gone by? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad bought a car, used and sort of rare-ish, back around Christmas of 1977. Drove it sparingly before a major mechanical failure sidelined it in the spring of '78. He fixed it shortly thereafter, but the car needed more work, and as a still-young man, he had other calls to his attention- wife, kids, work, etc.

Forty years later, it was still in storage, largely dismantled, when the rat-bastard cancer took away any chance he'd ever see it finished.

For all of those forty years, he thought he had plenty of time. Right up towards the end, it was a case of "when I get better, I'll..."

Don't wait. If you have something you've been meaning to do, go do it. Forty years disappears in an eyeblink.

Doc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
    My dad bought a car, used and sort of rare-ish, back around Christmas of 1977. Drove it sparingly before a major mechanical failure sidelined it in the spring of '78. He fixed it shortly thereafter, but the car needed more work, and as a still-young man, he had other calls to his attention- wife, kids, work, etc.

Forty years later, it was still in storage, largely dismantled, when the rat-bastard cancer took away any chance he'd ever see it finished.

For all of those forty years, he thought he had plenty of time. Right up towards the end, it was a case of "when I get better, I'll..."

Don't wait. If you have something you've been meaning to do, go do it. Forty years disappears in an eyeblink.

Doc.
    Hmmm. Maybe I'd better start in on that IH TD9 Drott tracked loader sitting outside the barn waiting its turn...

But hey, I got the sailboat finished and working on the Drott would eat into the time spent sailing & fishing, so - we'll see.

My son can clean up the crap if necessary.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To quote my old mentor and best boss ever - Big Jim.

1992? Thee ain't even got the cradle marks off thy ass lad.

Wait until you're 55 ......then 60 .............then 65

4. Likes Homebrewblob, Ron Hofer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1992? I bet you are still wearing short trousers.

6. Likes Limy Sami, Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    Took a long time but I finally relate to the lyric “time keeps on slipping slipping slipping into the future”. What do you all do to slow down the time?
    I think that's from a Steve Miller Band track. Could it be " Fly Like An Eagle " ?

I feel old when I look in my daily paper and see the " Birthdays " column. It's a list of famous people's birthdays. I see some one time teen idol's ( like Dion or Frankie Valli ) birthday and they'll be like 80 !

I remember being a teenager and reading that Elvis had just had his 30th birthday and thinking that 30 was ancient !

Regards Tyrone.

8. Likes slnielsen, Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I think that's from a Steve Miller Band track. Could it be " Fly Like An Eagle " ?

I feel old when I look in my daily paper and see the " Birthdays " column. It's a list of famous people's birthdays. I see some one time teen idol's ( like Dion or Frankie Valli ) birthday and they'll be like 80 !

I remember being a teenager and reading that Elvis had just had his 30th birthday and thinking that 30 was ancient !

Regards Tyrone.
    Like the other week when it was 40 years since John Lennons murder!

P.S. never liked the guy or his music, but I can tell you where I was and who I was with when I heard the news.

10. Likes GregSY, Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldnt have a clue.....people always say you can recall where you were when Kennedy was assassinated.....nope ,no idea......or when Whitlam was dismissed ...nope ,no idea.....Even when Harold Holt went missing.....actually ,very few even know Holt went missing....even fewer seem to care.

12. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still remember where I was when I heard Dr. Dre wasn't a real doctor.

Anyway, I once read a study on reincarnation and they asked something like 1000 'elderly' people all sorts of questions related to the topic. One that stuck in my mind was 'If you were to come back to life and had to stay at that age for 100 years, what age would you choose to be?" In other words, what age is the best age of all?

The vast majority of people came back with the same answer, with small variation. The early Thirties.

You're young enough to still do anything you want, but not so young as to be stupid.

14. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It only gets worse after 30. Wait until you sit on your balls for the first time.
    No more jumping off the bed of a pickup or anything high. Then it’s your eyes and then your.........

Edit: I remember when I was 25 my uncle asked me, hey can you do “it” all night? I said oh hell yeah, no problem, 5-6 times at least. He said good, by the time your 40 they’ll all be memories.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your perception of time speeds up. Every year it goes faster. It doesn't stop until you do.

As a kid the time from thanksgiving to Christmas was an ETERNITY.
    4 years of high school was a loooong time.
    4 years of college, slightly less.
    25 years since my first child was born, a flash.

Wife and I were talking about when we got together with some friends and did x. Yeah that was a year or two ago. No, wait that's not right. A bit of looking at a calendar and yep it was 6 years previous. Seemed like just a bit ago.

Just remember, every day above ground is good day.

17. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Oh yeah, and we used to have to beat our TV's into submission! Everyone knew where the sweet spot on their tv was, and I'm not talking a little tap, full on open handed swing with some anger, some times took 3 or more smacks to get the get the picture back.
    AKA the manual reset button.

19. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Times like money, when you’ve got loads of it you take it for granted, when your down to your last dollars you start panicking, when your down to coppers your shitting yourself, as the penny’s tick away to nil....
    If your lucky someone may give you a handout, disaster averted but it ebbs real fast, what matters is each other, you find that out later on I think, given what is inevitably facing us perhaps we should be kinder to each other, we’re all we’ve got
    Mark

21. Likes Homebrewblob, dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Live like each day is your last, don’t waste any time, they aren’t making any more of it.
    @ 70, time for me seems to be accelerating at an exponential rate.

23. Likes Homebrewblob, Ron Hofer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw it written on a wall one time in 3 foor tall letters:

Life is what happens while you are making other plans.

25. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    AKA the manual reset button.

"Percussive maintenance"

27. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Limy Sami, Bluejeep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was born 1992 if that matters
    You're having a quarter-life crisis. 10 years ago you knew everything, at least everything that was important, or thought you did and felt you could handle whatever came your way. Today you are wondering WTF is happening and how you are going to manage to deal with it all.
    Relax, it gets both better and worse. You'll figure out who you really are about 34 or so. Between then and 50, your short term memory will blessedly get sketchy and the recent past will have much less detail and seem much less important. Meanwhile, you'll remember your childhood phone number forever. Today you probably know everything you own, and where it all is, right? Enjoy that while you can. Not long after that your give a damn will start to fail, and your verbal filter will get huge holes in it. That's when life gets fun, you can relax and be who/what you want and enjoy being you instead of what you 'should' be.
    Take comfort that everyone else has pretty much gone through the same process with varying details, A self help guru once told me "What makes your case so special?", and I take great comfort in that clue not to take it all personally. I could be your grandfather, age wise, and I now picture myself like a time traveler in a Scifi novel, riding time into the future eager to see the next plot twist.
    We are all really just walking each other home.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Life is like a roll of TP.
    The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was talking to the ole lady about how fast life has been passing by and we started talking about Nintendo (regular not SNES) and realized how fast the years actually go by. Anyone got anything to add? I just feel Extinct.

Speaking of Extinction the game was a early favorite! Anyone connect? I was born 1992 if that matters
    92! I was born in 32 and it just goes down from there.
    ...lewie...

31. Likes Mud, Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you are a one year old toddler, another year is 100% of the time already lived. Should you live to the age of 100, a year is only 1 %. Do the math.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if i would have known the difference between 55 and 65 I would have bought more stock

34. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post