OT, how quick has life gone by? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wippin' boy View Post
    if i would have known the difference between 55 and 65 I would have bought more stock

Someone once said, "If I''d have known that I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."

Those words seem to be more poignant once you start collecting a pension or Social Security.

2. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get yourself "set up" early in life, the older you get the less energy you have for work. Pay off debt as quickly as possible within reason, don't be a bitch to the banks.

I was sixty last summer and lucky to have retired comfortably three years ago, I got buddies into their seventies that still gotta work, dunno how they do it.

Enjoy every day and don't waste your life on booze and other "distractions".

I was never in a hospital a day in my life until the past couple years when I had a some life threatening events, it can all come to an end suddenly and without warning...

4. Likes Homebrewblob, fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being a slave to the dream of retirement is foolish. Enjoy your whole life because you very well might spend your retirement with Cancer. I normally take 6+ weeks of vacation time a year normally spread out in four or five trips.

Work hard when you're working, and do things you will actually remember. take pictures get some printed and hang them up. Don't forget to take pictures of your work as well.

This last year all I have done is work and I can't remember anything of it. I did make a crazy amount of money so next year I'm doing some stuff..

6. Likes Homebrewblob, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Over the years I noticed a strange phenomenon.

As a child life seemed to take forever and days seemed very long.

As a young man things seemed to go by a bit faster.

At middle age life seemed faster still.

As a senior it seems as if someone has stolen minutes from the hours and hours from the day.

From talking with others the above seems pretty typical so my guess is that our perception of time changes as we age.

Either that or the programmers of the Matrix are altering time.

8. Likes Homebrewblob, dcsipo, texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    Someone once said, "If I''d have known that I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."

Those words seem to be more poignant once you start collecting a pension or Social Security.
    My version is "If I''d have known that I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself. Either that or I'd have partied harder and finished myself off before I got old."

10. Likes Homebrewblob, fusker, Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reminiscing over Nintendo is pointless. Losing people you care about is when you really wish you could turn back time.

12. Likes Homebrewblob, Scottl, fusker, ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jwearing View Post
    Reminiscing over Nintendo is pointless. Losing people you care about is when you really wish you could turn back time.
    I know that all too well, electrics kinda put it into perspective for me at least.

My big bro kevin, uncle jay, aunt Linda, bob-a-Lou (find myself wishing I could show him what I built/accomplished ALOT) Harold And so on.

Still got my parents but dad was told he had 1-3 years left with diet and lifestyle changes. That was 15years ago and he smokes Marboros and drinks Budweiser like a mad lad.

My quarter life crisis was in full swing last night, I think I need to go look at some dangerously fast sports cars for sale locally..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Oh yeah, and we used to have to beat our TV's into submission! Everyone knew where the sweet spot on their tv was, and I'm not talking a little tap, full on open handed swing with some anger, some times took 3 or more smacks to get the get the picture back. Its favorite trick was waiting till you sat down again then it would go on the fritz

I've got an old 260z in my to-do list, parked as a running vehicle about 1990 as no one would insure it with me as the driver
    My father and uncle jay both had 280z.

Dads was a 79 with a Chevy 350
    And jays was a 83 zx turbo.

They rivaled pretty hard and dad was always mad because jays z was faster.

THAT brought back memories!

15. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I think that's from a Steve Miller Band track. Could it be " Fly Like An Eagle " ?

I feel old when I look in my daily paper and see the " Birthdays " column. It's a list of famous people's birthdays. I see some one time teen idol's ( like Dion or Frankie Valli ) birthday and they'll be like 80 !

I remember being a teenager and reading that Elvis had just had his 30th birthday and thinking that 30 was ancient !

Regards Tyrone.
    That’s the one! Funny because all you Kats know it since it probably was released.

I know it from the movie “space jam”... guess I’m not the oldest cat around here huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jwearing View Post
    Reminiscing over Nintendo is pointless
    But not Atari 2600 with Qbert, and Frogger! Or Pong! I remember the first Pong machine showing up at the slot car shop next to the pinball machines. Wow, the technology!

18. Likes Billtodd, dalmatiangirl61, Bob E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do hope that your AKA is not a part of this,that really is a slippery slope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember the 4 hours of sleep and go all day energy I had in my 20's. Wish I still had that at 38.

I find at 38 I care a lot more about making memories and friends than I do about material things. I used to want all the things, fast toys, nice house, land, rentals, but I find those are less meaningful than just being a good friend, dad, husband.

I find if I push myself to work like I did 10 years ago my health suffers and it just isn't worth it. I'm finding it OK to let things take as long as they take and enjoy the process and the finished product.

21. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post

I've got some things I'll likely never get to, Like that Datsun Roadster in the barn.....
    More details on this please.

23. Likes Homebrewblob, tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    Idk maybe it’s the mind altering chems but I just feel old now.

My youngest brother is fighting Leukemia while one of the older brothers fought heroin, the oldest lost his battle around 6 years or so ago.

The younger brother is in remission but at what cost, he has no joint tissue left really, one of the tenants at a building we work at referred to him as “the crippled one” and kinda killed me, he’s only 25.

How fast does this life pass?

Do we worry 5 years in advance, 10 years? 15years?

Alex Trubec passed.

Where do the days go?
    Dude,

Sorry about your losses, and the name-calling. That is unacceptable. You seem to be a bit blue. Got hobbies? Bury your head into something that gets your mind off of life. Can't really hang out with buds right now, that makes it much harder. But try to find your creative side make things that make you happy, it can be anything, something as simple as a screwdriver or as complex as a spaceship, go for it. Do not sit there watching time go by, that is a waste of an ever-accelerating resource. You have skills that only a small portion of the population has, put it to good use for your own mental health.

dee
    ;-D

25. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s the one! Funny because all you Kats know it since it probably was released.

I know it from the movie “space jam”... guess I’m not the oldest cat around here huh?
    Just pulled out the CD - " Steve Miller Band - Live "

Some great tracks on it - Gangster Of Love, Rock N Me, Living In The USA, Fly Like An Eagle, Jungle Love, The Joker, Mercury Blues, Take The Money And Run, Abracadabra, Jet Airliner.

I haven't played it for a while but it's a really top album. The sound is great.

Regards Tyrone.

27. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    Dude,

Sorry about your losses, and the name-calling. That is unacceptable. You seem to be a bit blue. Got hobbies? Bury your head into something that gets your mind off of life. Can't really hang out with buds right now, that makes it much harder. But try to find your creative side make things that make you happy, it can be anything, something as simple as a screwdriver or as complex as a spaceship, go for it. Do not sit there watching time go by, that is a waste of an ever-accelerating resource. You have skills that only a small portion of the population has, put it to good use for your own mental health.

dee
    ;-D
    Yes, good advice. As someone who has suffered chronic back pain for over 15 years, I can tell you from experience that dwelling on the low points will get you nowhere but depressed. I've been there. Anyone looking back at my posting history here would see that for a good long period I was barely at this forum at all. Frequent poster from when I registered to when I first hurt my back. Then that period came where I didn't much feel like going on. Didn't do much of anything but hurt for quite some time. Didn't eat much, lost 70 pounds, pretty much slept all day and night. Stopped coming here and to other message boards, stopped doing pretty much anything.

That lasted for a while, then I came out the other side and started pushing myself to get back to trying to somewhat enjoy life again. Having a kid helped, having two helped even more. They cheer me up to no end. Not saying that's a solution for anyone either, by the way, just helped bring me out of my funk. Now I feel more like socializing and at least trying to get out of the house and do things. Have to limit my time or I feel like I'm being tortured, but it is what it is. Think of it this way, you're better off than I am! Not dwelling on the low points and misfortune helps immensely - the most. Concentrate on the good things you've got and life will be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    In other words, what age is the best age of all?
    I would say the years from 60 to 75.
    fusker

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I remember the 4 hours of sleep and go all day energy I had in my 20's. Wish I still had that at 38.

I find at 38 I care a lot more about making memories and friends than I do about material things. I used to want all the things, fast toys, nice house, land, rentals, but I find those are less meaningful than just being a good friend, dad, husband.

I find if I push myself to work like I did 10 years ago my health suffers and it just isn't worth it. I'm finding it OK to let things take as long as they take and enjoy the process and the finished product.
    I got a chuckle when reading your post, I've got almost 30 years on you and for some strange reason when I do a lot of work I feel tired and sore later in the day. Must be something wrong with me.

I'm actually a slacker. A neighbor well into his 70s can outwork 2 younger men and never seems affected by it. I find I need a break halfway through mowing the lawn on a hot day and if I crawl under the car for serious work the next day I feel like an old man, complete with muscle aches. Oh, to be 38 again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My quarter life crisis was in full swing last night, I think I need to go look at some dangerously fast sports cars for sale locally..
    Oh f'k, ...somebody get round and save that guy, ....before its a new hairstyle, designer jeans, ..............and teenage eye candy.

32. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1/4 life crisis hel I’m on 29/32 crisis, soon I’m going 64ths I think!
    Should have popped the blue pill (or another one)
    Mark

34. Likes Homebrewblob, g-coder05 liked this post