Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    My father and uncle jay both had 280z.

Dads was a 79 with a Chevy 350
    And jays was a 83 zx turbo.

They rivaled pretty hard and dad was always mad because jays z was faster.

THAT brought back memories!
    Mine still has the factory engine, with lots of tweaks and a 5speed transmission from a zx. Could not drop it into 5th till about 85mph, and it would cruise effortlessly at 100mph. My best time from Prescott Az to SATX was just under 12 hours, speed limit back then was 55mph. 2 tickets in 1 year both well over the 100 mark and nobody would insure it. Had to pay off a couple judges to keep my DL too
    Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55 (Official Video) - YouTube

2. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stolen from some other thread-

At least as you get older your hand strength goes up. When I was young I couldn't bend my dick with both hands. Now I can fold it over with two fingers.

Seriously, time accelerates like crazy and nobody knows how much they get. Pursue what makes you happy and don't waste a lot of time and treasure on what doesn't.

4. Likes Homebrewblob, Newman109, jackal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    Seriously, time accelerates like crazy and nobody knows how much they get.
    That's another issue. The RATE of change is increasing exponentially. There's been more technological change in the last 100 years than there was in the previous 1000 years. The change since 2000 alone has been dizzying, probably more in the last 5 than the last 25. And that's not just perception, that's quantifiable data. Change is herd enough for humans to deal with, the acceleration of change makes it dramatically more difficult

6. Likes Limy Sami, Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It goes by faster by faster and faster as you age.
    If you think in the 30's that time and years are passing faster you ain't see nothing yet.
    1992 seems like such a short time back as in feels only to be 5-10 years.
    There is some weird acceleration curve here.
    In your 20s, 30s, it seems you have all the time in the world to do what you aspire to.

One thing will remain forever constant. The kids will not listen to the older people talking of such and for sure here I remember a younger self.

I flunked CPS 301 as I spent all my allotted CPU time playing star trek on teletypes. (Sort of like the old battleships game)
    Final exam and you submit your card deck. Program (Fortran) not a problem at all and easy but a typo mistake in the loader and now locked out of the CDC.
    This a slap but I would still not learn.
    Bob

8. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got a fix for ya all: YES, time has been going faster for me as well, UP UNTIL 5 weeks ago. I decided to go onto a starvation diet (less than 1000 cal/day and 2 hours exercise daily) and all of a sudden my days are going SO SLOOOOOOW.....can't wait each day to eat the one small meal I am allowing myself. SOOOO, if you want to slow down your days, do as I am doing....oh ya, I'm down 22 lb so far.

10. Likes Mud, Homebrewblob, rustytool, boslab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For me, the one great comfort of old (70) age is that, given the world today, I'm glad I'm closer to the finish line than the starting line, especially valuable because I've long believed that life is an effort that deserves a better cause.

Forty-some years ago, a buddy had to spend a night in jail for unpaid parking tickets. He wakes up in the morning and notices that someone has scratched into the paint on his cot "In 100 years, who will care about all this?" Below that, someone else scratched "Who cares now?" That's the attitude to have.

12. Likes Mud, Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ever faster rattles the stick on the picket fence. When most/all the uncles, aunts, parents and their contemporaries are gone, you start to look around and think, where did all the old people go? Then you happen to see a mirror. I dont spend much time in front of mirrors. Who is that old timer anyway? What sucks is I still think of myself as about 35-40 (over 20 years more than that now).

14. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read this the other day and realized I do too: "I still think of 1970 as being 30 years ago"

16. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some mornings when the alarm goes off at 5:30 I wake up with an oldie in my head(like, maybelene why can't you be true) and I think gotta hurry up or I'll be late for high school. Pop in the bath room ,turn on the light and look in the mirror. WTF!! I generally get over it pretty quick!

At work someone ocasionaly asks me when I'll retire. When I get a sign I'll know." What kind of sign?"
    To get to work I hop on 95 north cross the river and in 15 minuets I'm there. So one day after driving for what seems like an eternity and still not there I'll see one of those silver alerts on the DOT signs and think some dummy is lost and heck he's got a truck like mine same color and tag number; what are the chanches of that!
    Btw I'll be 76 this December.

18. Likes Homebrewblob, dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My father in law, who was about 78 at the time, said to me one day, "You know, when you get to be my age, all's you care about is getting something good to eat...."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
    Being a slave to the dream of retirement is foolish. Enjoy your whole life because you very well might spend your retirement with Cancer. I normally take 6+ weeks of vacation time a year normally spread out in four or five trips.

Work hard when you're working, and do things you will actually remember. take pictures get some printed and hang them up. Don't forget to take pictures of your work as well.

This last year all I have done is work and I can't remember anything of it. I did make a crazy amount of money so next year I'm doing some stuff..
    Retirement is that period when you are too tired and sore to do the things that you were dreaming about when you were working.

21. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    Dude,

Sorry about your losses, and the name-calling. That is unacceptable. You seem to be a bit blue. Got hobbies? Bury your head into something that gets your mind off of life. Can't really hang out with buds right now, that makes it much harder. But try to find your creative side make things that make you happy, it can be anything, something as simple as a screwdriver or as complex as a spaceship, go for it. Do not sit there watching time go by, that is a waste of an ever-accelerating resource. You have skills that only a small portion of the population has, put it to good use for your own mental health.

dee
    ;-D
    Hobbies? Like turning cast to relax?? Yes I do!

November 21, 2020 - YouTube

23. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try being a field machinist and see how fast time flies! One week I was in the summer heat of the southern US then the next could be in McMurdo Station Antarctica. Then on top of that having to put in 12-16 hour shifts 7 days a week will really speed things up.

My family had a large industrial supply that was focussed on power transmission and one of the things that had to stay in stock was pre keyed 36" shafts of all sizes up to 2". My grandfather had a K&T #2 setup just to key shafts and since I was 10 years old my job after school was cutting keyways. That was nearly 40 years ago and I can still smell the black cutting oil.

25. Likes jackal liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I go to estate sales every weekend and once Ina while someone has something I had when I was a kid. I see thing like the old Tupperware cups and bowls to old pictures like one one on my parents wall from the 70’s. The old hot wheels cars that were made with all metal to those wooden handle screw drivers to steel beer cans. One thing I always look for is wooden fishing lures and old pocket knives.

27. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    That's another issue. The RATE of change is increasing exponentially. There's been more technological change in the last 100 years than there was in the previous 1000 years. The change since 2000 alone has been dizzying, probably more in the last 5 than the last 25. And that's not just perception, that's quantifiable data. Change is herd enough for humans to deal with, the acceleration of change makes it dramatically more difficult
    That's right. My feeling is that the greatest changes date from the development of a working field effect transistor at Bell Lab in 1947. From that discovery, the digital age began.That led to an incredible speed up of technology in communications and the personal computer, just two of a whole host of inventions that fueled this change.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    My father in law, who was about 78 at the time, said to me one day, "You know, when you get to be my age, all's you care about is getting something good to eat...."
    That's cuz if you pound it now, you'll die. Tongue doesn't take much blood flow

30. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want the winter to go slowly, get a loan due in the spring.

Have you ever been asked the question, "How old do you think you'd be if you hadn't kept track of time?"

32. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boslab View Post
    1/4 life crisis hel I’m on 29/32 crisis, soon I’m going 64ths I think!
    Should have popped the blue pill (or another one)
    Mark
    ^ I find this is a good way to go. Instead of one big one at 44, I'm spreading them out and having a little one every 2-3 years. That's the plan, anyways. I'll let you know in 10 years if it works.

34. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems almost incredible that I am planning my 90th birthday early in February. I am not in the best of health, but I am still going strong. I am fortunate in not suffering loss to dementia. My father and his father both died at age 72.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well done mate, keep doing whatever the hell your doing, it’s working
    Mark