What's new
What's new

OT- How to remove protective paper from Lexan ? (old adhesive)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Paper is so old no way it is peeling off in the normal way. Piece is only 14" square (1/4 thick) so probably better off just to buy a new one.... but still curious if there is an easy way to remove the old paper by soaking in something, applying heat.....or ?

Goof Off used to work on stuff like that, but who knows nowadays, a lot of things don't work like they used to.

I had luck years ago with 200 proof ethyl alcohol, can't remember if that was acrylic or polycarbonate though, but it definitely worked.

Working in a lab and that was the least toxic thing I had handy, but really should have opened the windows.

Too much risk of scratching if you use a razor blade or scrubby, unless you don't care about the finish.

Easily get a corner to lift just a bit. Spray with Starrett M1 or something else that won't craze. Then fasten a small ACCO binder clip to corner. Tie string to it and an anchor spot. Put piece on an angle, so the weight will have slight pull down. Keep spray oil between paper and plastic. Let it hang overnight if necessary. Use different options to allow the weight to do it's job. I did this on a 3 x 6 foot piece in two days. Came out great.

Soak with isopropyl alcohol and when you peel the paper off, pull at 30ish degrees up from the newly cleared face instead of bending the paper 180 degrees and pulling away from the paper-glue-lexan bond.

That seems to work best for me with the old ass acrylic and polycarbonate sheets I deal with at work.

Heat gun. Start with a corner and gradually fold the paper back on itself as you heat a strip at a time. For adhesive residue vegetable oil and paper towels followed by a wash with dish detergent.

Use a wooden dowel… something semi-sacrificial. Get under the paper however you can at a corner and loosen up enough to wrap the circumference of the dowel, plus some. Roll the paper off the sheet and onto the rod.

Ideally the dowel gets thrown away at this point, because it will be an equal fight to get the paper off of it.

This system works to remove the protective paper off of polycarbonate and sheet acrylic, as well as laser-guard type protection IF the edge is sheared.

I still have yet to find a way to not fight every bit of protective paper off of laser cut stainless…

Be safe

Jeremy

Never had to do it with Lexan, but when I deal with a new/old piece of Plexiglass I use Acetone to soften the paper and glue. Lacquer thinner will often melt the plastic, but Acetone seems to be mild enough to do the job. In these cases, it was usually old paper coated stock that had been in a hot non-AC environment so the glue completely hardened and the paper became brittle, first at the edges and if left long enough across the whole surface. There's usually a layer of film between the paper and the glue, so while the acetone helps soften everything, it's only going to dissolve the glue from the edges.

Use a wooden dowel… something semi-sacrificial. Get under the paper however you can at a corner and loosen up enough to wrap the circumference of the dowel, plus some. Roll the paper off the sheet and onto the rod.

Ideally the dowel gets thrown away at this point, because it will be an equal fight to get the paper off of it.

This system works to remove the protective paper off of polycarbonate and sheet acrylic, as well as laser-guard type protection IF the edge is sheared.

I still have yet to find a way to not fight every bit of protective paper off of laser cut stainless…

Be safe

Jeremy
I use a 1 1/2" pvc pipe with a T glued to the end so I have 16" turning arms. Works fantastic for removing film off full 5' x 10' sheets fast!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mayonnaise . eggs contain lecithin which emulsifies the veg oil with any watery shit that is in the egg
whites,vinegar and other crap added to the mayo. it doesn't always work on every adhesive, and takes a long time-several days/a week sometimes, but is mild and effective when it does.

"Never had to do it with Lexan, but when I deal with a new/old piece of Plexiglass I use Acetone to soften the paper and glue. Lacquer thinner will often melt the plastic, but Acetone seems to be mild enough to do the job"

are you insane? acetone will solve lexan, plexi,...just about any plastics but polyethylene, polypro.. we used it
as glue to fuse acrylic panels in a shop-

I had luck years ago with 200 proof ethyl alcohol, can't remember if that was acrylic or polycarbonate though, but it definitely worked.

You may find 190 proof a bit more effective. And if you have some neutral grain spirits on your liquor shelf you don't need a shopping trip.

Back