Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iím 29. 2 slipped/herniated disks with spinal Stenosis on both.

Been like this since I was about 16.

Around 27 the Doc said I canít live like this, recommended both disks replaced

I just take it easy, know my limits and AS SOON as I feel discomfort I stop and rest my neck/back.

I sleep on a hard floor with a blanket and a VERY thin pillow if I need to.

Iíve quit falling asleep in weird positions years ago.

When I was 27 I fell asleep in my lazy boy after a night of hard drinking.

Woke up with 2 fingers and my thumb numb and NOT WORKING.

The left arm numb/weak almost paralyzed.

Neck and back pain like never before.

But Iíve since recovered. Once in a blue moon the fingers get numb again.

Sleep flat on the floor and use a grapefruit size ball to target the bad spots, be gentle but persistent.

I quit drinking as well.

Everyone is different. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A big consideration is whether or not you have insurance....but assuming you do, it makes sense to go to a doctor. I'm all for DIY but when it comes to stuff that can't be replaced I am a little more inclined to bring in paid help.

I'm not 100% sold on doctors, and I think there is a fair dose of truth in the idea that they are a dispassionate group by nature who have an eye on billing. But they also have a lot of technology and training behind them. So here's my view - see a doctor, and by the second or third visit he's probably shot his wad on what he can do for you. Use his guidance on exactly what the problem is, and how to alleviate it, then get off the constant return visit wagon.

Country
    PORTUGAL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A NEUROSURGEON!!

Maybe any of those home remedies will work, maybe not, maybe you have a serious injury, maybe you don't, maybe maybe maybe...
    Neurosurgeons are the ones who do backs. he/she will surely prescribe an MRI.

Yes, it costs money.
    How much is your back worth?
    When a neurosurgeon looks at an MRI, they will know what's happening and will be in a position to give you real advice on what to do.

Mine told me to walk a lot, to build up the muscles that hold it together. And it works, and it's cheap.

Chiropractors; I used to use them, I thought they were real. Then one day, the "doctor" made a mistake, and I saw his face, and something he said when he was afraid;
    Now I'm sure it's faith healing, quackery, placebo medicine.

Real medical doctors train for years, few applicants ever make it to neurosurgeon.

If you had a vital part that needed ultra-precision grinding, the failure of which could put you in a wheelchair, would you let the new kid do it?
    Or find the highest trained, most experienced machinist you could?

See a doctor, get a referral, this is the most important task on your agenda.

4. Likes Rudd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

imo doctors are completely useless in this case. the only thing they might dois to talk you into surgery. my cousin has had tree surgeries done to her back, was k.o. for about a year after each. shes planning the fourth. i think shes nuts.

6. Likes Homebrewblob, toolsteel liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Long Tom View Post
    I was splitting wood several days ago and reached down to pick up a chunk I’d just split and ka-POW.... shooting hot pain in my lower back. I had to use the splitting maul like a cane just to get back to the house.

For
    Switch to Propane ?
    Propane (Parody of Cocaine) - YouTube

8. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For years I worried about my back going out. I used to pick up heavy parts and not use my legs to lift. Every now and then I would be walking and bingo I would drop to my knee's and be in severe pain in my lower back. My Dr years ago told me to lay on my back, knee's up, feet flat on floor, tighten my stomach muscles and push my lower back into the carpeted floor and hold it for 10 seconds and then 20 seconds. Did it for about 5 minutes time. Then as things started to loosen up and feel better lay on my stomach and press my stomach into the floor and as I did it lift my shoulders and hold it for 10 seconds. Took about 2 days of this 3 times a day. That worked better then pills.

A rigger up here in MN had back surgery at the Mayo Clinic, he told me he felt worse after the first surgery that he was going to have a 2nd. His name was Roy and owned R&R Machinery Mover's. I retired from selling used machinery and didn't see Roy for about 2 years. Then at an auction I saw Roy's son, Brian and said "how is your Dad?" He said you didn't hear? He was in so much pain all the time he killed himself!. Floored me. So do not have surgery and try everything else. I also haven't had a back ache (knock on wood) in a few years. I did stop wearing a belt and wear suspenders, the ones Larry King advertised. I am a believer in suspenders, look doorky, but no back aches. lol Good Luck. PS; I have a DR who specializes in work injuries and was not into pills and surgery, He did tell me to start to put my wallet in my front pocket too, so when I sat down the wallet didn't twist my back. Thank God, my clinic had that DR.

10. Likes Homebrewblob, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the short summary:

Most low back pain resolves in a few days. So, even if it quite painful, give it a few days. Moving around as tolerated helps. Strict bed rest is not as good as some activity in terms of the time needed to clear.

However, if you are experiencing weakness or numbness in your leg(s) or trouble controlling bowel or bladder do not delay seeing a physician. Those symptoms possibly indicate nerve damage and need immediate evaluation and treatment. Nerve damage will not get better with time/rest.

Surgery has its place and, done by an experienced and capable neurosurgeon, can prevent permanent weakness and numbness and can reduce pain within hours.

Take a look at WebMD and Mayo Clinic’s website. They will walk you through a reasonable approach to deciding how/when to seek medical advice. Ignore “always do this” types of advice because back pain has numerous causes some of which are serious and need prompt intervention and many of which can be treated by time and modified activity.

Denis
    (had my share of simple back pain episodes (no neurological loss) which luckily cleared with time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't go to doctors to get metalworking advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been There-Done That! Three points to consider. 1. If you are taking a statin, STOP! 2. Ibuprofen will cause kidney failure if you use it every day. 3.The ice pack is your friend; apply for 15 minutes to ease the stiffness. You do not want meds from the Dr. I learned all this the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get to a doctor and have it looked at. At a minimum you should be able to get some muscle relaxers and combine them with the ibuprofen to help speed up the recovery. Along with a couple trips to the chiropractor you should be back to your regular routine in a couple weeks. However, there's always the potential for it being a worse situation and needing surgery. Either way, going to the doctor won't make it worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hurt my back badly about 20 years ago. I had a repetitive job that needed done, and I kept after it long after I knew to stop. Stopped for lunch, and couldn't get out of the chair after lunch. I couldn't move for a couple of days and then decided I had to do something different. I went to a well recommended chiropractor, one who used an impactor rather than a manipulator. He took x-rays and showed me how badly my back was out of line. He had me up and mobiling in a couple of days, and much improved in a week. 6 weeks of treatment and I was better than I was before the incident. I went back on and off as necessary for several years, haven't had to go in a couple of years (and I hope I didn't jinx myself with that statement).

As for the wallet thing? I carry a drivers license and two credit cards wrapped in some cash in my front pocket. My wallet always had stuff I never used and I got tired of carrying it.

16. Likes Richard King, Joe Miranda, toolsteel liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not a doctor but:
    Asper cream is one decent pain lotion and (edit deleted), I think aspirin is the safest oral pain pill using with not overdosing, I think bone broth and gelation added to the diet is good to help resolve joint pain.

Seeing a doctor is good but prescribed pain killers like OxyContin can get you hooked.

I did the same with offloading a big fixture off a trailer a few months ago. The pain is tolerable so I am just going to wait it out for a year or so.

18. Likes digger doug, Richard King liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see a massage gal and then a Chiropractor in the same office every month and have not had back trouble other than sore muscles in years which is saying a lot given my size, when you get to be 6'8 you get to bend over a lot as the whole world is made for people 5'7.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

One flare up, I tried the electronic devices you see on T.V.

It did help, I keep things good with a inversion table.

21. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Long Tom View Post
    Iím lying on a heating pad right now. It feels good but indeed, seems to make things worse. Iíll switch to ice later tonight. Icing my back just seemed weird, but, Iím generally a believer.
    Alternate them in combination. It is true the heating pads are safe not getting hot yet one can use the old style water bottles with heated water in them I suppose.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mimedx (MDXG) is working on using the discarded placenta ground up and injected into knee joints to resolve pain and seems to allow avoiding a $50k knee replacement. I think that process might be used for back pain sometime in the future.
    Yes, I own the stock and hope to make a few bucks on it.

note: I am not a doctor or a licensed investment advisor so do your own research.

Oh, I dismounted from a big old plow horse last year and forgot how high up I was and so hurt my sciatic nerve, I was crawling up and down steps for almost three weeks and walked with my hands on my knees. Dismounting that horse and the ground was not there to stop my stretching way too far.
    But I am a tough old bird, lat week I climbed a 50' foot pine tree and took it down from the top piece by piece...yes, I used my climbing harness. If I had fallen and broke an arm or the like Janie likely would have had me committed to an Alzheimer's home. Yes, I thought about that and almost declined to do the tree thinking that.
    It was likely a $600 to $1000 job and I could easily afford to spend that amount.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am in my mid 50s. Herniated a disc down low about 5 years ago at the batting cages. I was not in the greatest shape at the time, didn't warm up or stretch and just started swinging away. Next day I couldn't get out of bed and had a fire ball in my rear and right leg. I had had other instances of 'back issues' so I thought I could tough it out and self medicate etc. Well trouble continued for about 2 months. I had many people tell me I needed fusion surgery. I was shocked to hear how many people around my age had done it. Good friends of the family recommended the Neck and Back center in Mission Viejo. They did do an MRI and the herniated disc was very apparent. They put me on a physical therapy and decompression regiment. I finally felt relief about 3 weeks in. Discs can 'un-bulge'. Now I keep up my exercising and stretching, warm up and stretch before doing any lifting etc. Feel great other than some Sciatica tingling in my right leg. No Surgeries by God's grace! Need to get professional care imo.

25. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was about 18 years old, and just started working in the machine shop, one of the 'old' guys (who was younger than I am now) told me something that always stuck with me. He said, "I used to wake up with stiff dick and a limber back. Now I wake up with limber dick and stiff back...."

27. Likes Mechanola, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First question:

Is the problem skeletal or muscular?

The first can be very tricky but after a period of time PROPER exercises can help build up the muscles that support the spine. Years ago the doctors told a friend the strong muscles he had built were the only thing keeping his spine from collapsing.

With muscular back issues very often the root problem is too tight Iliopsoas, which is the network of muscles that support the lower back. Gentle stretching exercises can work wonders in preventing future problems. I first started having lower back problems in my early 30s. Fortunately I had a primary care physician who recommended stretching exercises and now in my upper 60s I am actually less prone to sprains.

29. Likes Richard King, michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    I am not a doctor but:
    Asper cream is one decent pain lotion and voltaren, I think aspirin is the safest oral pain pill using with not overdosing, I think bone broth and gelation added to the diet is good to help resolve joint pain.

Seeing a doctor is good but prescribed pain killers like OxyContin can get you hooked.

I did the same with offloading a big fixture off a trailer a few months ago. The pain is tolerable so I am just going to wait it out for a year or so.

Apparently you do not read the directions. Voltaren is NOT for back pain. It is only for arthritis of ankle, knee, wrist, and elbow. You are not supposed to get it closer to your heart than that. It helped a little with my left knee but what it needs is a new knee.