What's new
What's new

OT- Hydraulic hose gurus - does this fitting exist ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Female British parallel #4 fitting for #6 hose ? ( FWIW, that is what NAPA guy says I need anyway....)

My Gates catalogs only show 4-4 or 6-6 in female and male hose ends. Likely you’ll be using adapters to make it happen. Why not just use #4 hose? It’ll be choked down at the fittings anyway.

Likely you’ll be using adapters to make it happen. Why not just use #4 hose? It’ll be choked down at the fittings anyway.
Because the other end attaches to a Swiss made pump with slightly larger metric fittings ( which I would be using at the pump end of the hoses)

Download the parker firing finder app on your phone or google it and use the web app. Best tool out there for finding fittings ever. Once you get the parker part number most distributors can help you find it

I worked in a hydraulic fitting and hose house from age 15 to 18 . . . All hose is base 16 size, so #4 fitting is 1/4 inch and #6 hose is 3/8 inch.

Are you looking for a pressure rated fitting? Low pressure barb? Reusable? Crimp on? What kind of hose?

If low pressure, this will work . . . McMaster-Carr

Because the other end attaches to a Swiss made pump with slightly larger metric fittings ( which I would be using at the pump end of the hoses)

Just as e-fishin-c states regardless of the hose I.D. size you use it will still only allow the flow volume of the end fittings you use at a given pressure. As the pressure increases so will flow volume, limited by pressure and flow restriction.
Number 4 is 1/4" and number 6 is 3/8". You could use larger I.D. hose but in the end your still pushing that oil through a 1/4"

...If you strike out at your local places I could make up an adapter...

Yup, back in the 80s when all the Japanese excavators started hitting the west coast we made a ton of adapter
fittings. Dealers wanted obscene amounts of money for replacement hoses and you couldn't buy many metric
fittings from the aftermarket suppliers. We made a ton of adapters for two or three years till the aftermarket
guys caught up. After a while the demand petered out--haven't made one in years...

Hey DT

I loooked at Parker 4300 tube fittings catalog for a bit.

They have only BSPP to NPT adapters, nothing BSPP to crimp-hose.

So you'd have 2 steps, BSPP to NPT and NPT to crimp-hose, hopefully other end is a swivel (??), OR if its something you care about long-term, get both ends to JIC male fittings. Then you can get a double female JIC swivel hose made anywhere in America, leak-free, no fuss-no muss, super easy installation.

Just as e-fishin-c states regardless of the hose I.D. size you use it will still only allow the flow volume of the end fittings you use at a given pressure. As the pressure increases so will flow volume, limited by pressure and flow restriction.
Well aware of that but for this application the flow was already appropriate for the machine (a Myford cylindrical grinder) at 1/4" hose ID. Bottom line is I'm trying to substitute a Swiss made hydraulic pump for the original Myford pump (that seems to be kaput)

Out here a trip to the local Parker store would get you the answer and they could repair your hose or get you a new one at whatever length you want.

I can go down to Poth, Texas population 2000 and get Ken at Ken's Farm Parts to swage together any fitting I bring him. Like someone else mentioned if your shop was not all tied up in the sale you could make the ends your self and get them swaged together at many farm supply stores, as well as at hydraulic supply houses. I just built some custom ends for cattle water trough hoses and Ken swaged them together for no charge.

If your machines are tied up with the sale, surely as many friends as you have on PM someone close by could make the ends you need. Little Giant water trough hoses I made are in the photo. Made 11 of these.
WaterTroughHosesRS.jpg

Back