What's new
What's new

Looking to Improve Finish -Vibratory Tumbler

Dylad

Aluminum
We have some stainless parts that we are trying to achieve an under 20RA finish on. Right now the process is 100% hand work. These are welded assemblies that we then take down the welds and work down to the finish with several steps of speedlock and 3M grinder wheels.

I would think this is possible with the use of a several step vibratory tumbler process with specific media (plastic media final step?). We already have several tumblers with large triangular stones currently used for heavy edge break, so I would hope we could just swap out media. We went to a local company that offers vibratory tumbling services and media to try to come up with a process, but the best results they got, using a 3 step (3 different media type) process that took over 8 hours, was high 20- low 30RA with a dull finish. I'd like a second opinion on this. I've seen pictures on here of absolutely gleaming polished looking parts coming straight out of tumblers! Is what I am asking impossible for our application?

Thanks!

We have had some very good finishes on stainless tubing just using 2 steps. The tubing already had a ground finish so we were probably cheating a little. Anyway we use a light weight ceramic triangle type stone to round the corners then a round porcelyn (sp) burnishing stone to finish. As far as I can tell the burnishing stone removes no material just beats the peaks down on the micro finish. Parts come out looking like they have been chrome plated.
Send some parts out to your abrasive stone supplier. They should be able to develop a process for you. We use U M Abrasive in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but any supplier should be able to do the same.

Talk with these guys. They have been around a long time and know what they are talking about. I have had great success with them,.

FORTUNE METAL FINISHING
116 Gould Street
Needham Heights, MA 02494
Phone: 781-449-4160
Fax: 781 449-4621
e-mail: [email protected]

Good Luck

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Hi Dylad,

I think you are going to remove the welding oxidation layer with vibratory finishing.
We use 2 steps with plastic media
You can see the details in our photo

before welding remove.jpg

welding oxidation removed with plastic media.jpg

Earnest

Back