OT, hydroxy associated with increased deaths, biggest study yet - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
    And just what the Flying Goddam Fuck does any of this have to do with professional machining?

Serious question, and I'd like a serious answer.

We can't talk about certain actual goddam machine tools, on a board specifically for machinists, simply because they're basically "not professional enough".

But we CAN talk endlessly about bullshit political crap that has nothing whatsofuckingever to do with machining at all?!?

Machinists can't talk about certain machine tools they actually use, on a machinists' board, but those same machinists, very few if any of whom are doctors or other medical personnel, CAN talk endlessly about a medical subject they only know about through poorly and inaccurately written news articles and Facebook feeds?

Nope, we can't talk about Atlas lathes, or import 9x20s, or mill-drills, because that would seem "unprofessional", and might turn off some advertisers.

But by golly, we can have fifteen simultaneous threads about which political party is reacting the worst to a viral outbreak, and which politician is lying more than the others, and which news source is the least trustworthy, all of which gets served with a healthy dose of "my party good, your party bad", which we all know is an unassailable argument that convinces every single reader how right, true, correct and massively endowed you are.

This is a board for professional machinists.

I come here to read and learn about professional machining.

I don't give the rotting half of a diseased rat's ass what your opinion is on The Flu, China, the current administration, any previous administration, any given politician, or any combination thereof.

Doc.
    yet you get lured into a thread titled: OT, hydroxy associated with increased deaths, biggest study yet

2. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Absolutely! I *always* publish bullshit articles in Physical Review Letters, in Nature, in Science, and nobody ever questions what I write.
    The last one I wrote said how you can prevent coronavirus infection by injecting bleach into your body, drinking lysol, and by jamming a
    UV light up your ass.

You go first.

Nobody *ever* questions what scientists say.

I've read your post (article?) twice and I have no idea what you're getting at...so I'll operate on the presumption that you agree completely with me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT: [in one of those states where the governors have made it illegal to prescribe hydroxychloroquine]
    Seems you would have to be a doctor to prescribe or deny a drug...

Governor might find self in the slammer for causing a wrongful death.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    What I want to know is how did trump get a prescription? How many doctors did he have to fire to hear what he wanted to hear? (snip...) Bill D
    From the opioid crisis, I think that 'doctor shopping' is frowned upon, if not illegal. Hmm... But that puts Trump in good company with arrested-but-not-prosecuted OxyContin abuser Rush Limbaugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    You are correct

Except you have no reason, proof, or alternative to oppose the current science

because you think so does not count
    It would seem most logical to me that the patients that were in the most hopeless condition would be given hydroxychloroquine before others. At our local hospital, half of the few Coronavirus cases that we've had were sent home without even being admitted.

On another note, why do so many people think that doctors are so damn smart? It doesn't require a high IQ to be a doc, it requires an excellent memory. I knew a couple of pre-med students when I was in college and they spent all their time memorizing stuff. That doesn't require great intellect.

You ought to try to teach a doc how to fly an airplane!

7. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what you hear from one news and then the opposite it seems that some would let people die just to keep Trump from winning next time around.
    Likely just before the election someone will announce that Trump likes Fords, and then he won’t have a chance.

Oh wait..this thread is about hydroxie what event..My bad, sorry.. I forgot the OT...(other topic)..

9. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good heavens, we've had another Covid-related-thread outbreak. There are still people who think that their post is gonna convince diametrically-opposed opinions.

But wait! There's a related comorbidity! Folks think that their ability to convert other's opinions is actually increased if they express their views in abusive, dismissive, and disrespectful ways.

Some folks criticize Trump as a lying, ineffectual, bigoted, corrupt, serially unfaithful asshat that cannot and will not be effective in doing anything he says he wants to do. They think that Trump is the worst president ever and that our country is going to go down the shitter if we reelect him.

Others say, no, no, its the Democrats who are lying and corrupt, and remind us of Hilary Clinton's server fiasco, Joe Biden's son's apparent corruption and involvement with the Chinese, and Biden's duplicitiousness in bringing his son on diplomatic missions. The think that Obama was the worst president every, and that Biden will be worse and that our country is going to go down the shitter if we elect him.

I think they're both right. We're screwed either way. And the thing that really pisses me off is when someone trys to make the case "That other guy will be a nightmare!" when their guy will be too!

And the disrespect flies between people that usually have a lot of respect for the cleverness and intelligence of others abilities with machine tools! My goodness? And the disrespect and illogic that is heaped upon competent professionals!

I get that folks are hurting - some in very bad ways, and that the frustration that this evinces affects how we react to information. But viral infections and immune response is incredibly complex, we have very little data so far but its growing rapidly. And so you would expect - you would HOPE - that scientists and physicians would learn from new data and change their position as the data get better. But not here! New data causes a change in recommendation and you get "Scientists don't know what the hell they are talking about". "The doctors are all incompetent and don't know anything!" So you're gonna get scientific and medical advice from... a bunch of machinists?

You know I was asking my family practitioner last week what boring bar and carbide insert to use in cutting an internal split ring channel. I tried his recommendation and it SUCKED!. Not gonna take any medication advice from him anymore...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The difference between Trump and the children in politics who oppose him is simple.

Trump - right or wrong - does what he believes is best for the country. That's what an good President (or citizen) does. The children who oppose him do what they think will result in giving them the most power. That's a big difference. The only exception is Joe Biden, who truly cares about black people and sometimes even touches them.

12. Likes Cole2534, Larry Dickman, steve45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by carlherrnstein View Post
    Why is this post here? Isn't there a dedicated forum for covid bullshit?
    You are right on. In two ways. That this belongs somewhere else and the study is total misleading bullshit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    The difference between Trump and the children in politics who oppose him is simple.

Trump - right or wrong - does what he believes is best for the country. That's what an good President (or citizen) does. The children who oppose him do what they think will result in giving them the most power. That's a big difference. The only exception is Joe Biden, who truly cares about black people and sometimes even touches them.
    That may be whats wrog with Trump..He is not out to just fill his pockets and people who are, and fear that their gravy train might be over,or they frar they might get exposed....or fired..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another thing to keep in mind is the difference between supporting Trump the person vs. Trump's policies and what he stands for.

For example, I don't think a president should use obscenities and say some of the things Trump has said.
    However, I fully support regulated immigration, onshoring business incentives, stopping Planned Parenthood federal funding, healthcare reform, etc., etc. And I think there are a LOT of people in rural areas mostly that are sick and tired of "career politicians" that say and do the right things to get elected and then not carry out those promises.

16. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post

You know I was asking my family practitioner last week what boring bar and carbide insert to use in cutting an internal split ring channel. I tried his recommendation and it SUCKED!. Not gonna take any medication advice from him anymore...
    See, that PROVES doctors don't know their stuff....

Now, was that blood pressure meds he was prescribing? I can help you there. I mean, I'm a machinist. I know what I'm doing!!

18. Likes bosleyjr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is the difference between supporting Trump the person vs. Trump's policies and what he stands for.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that it's not about Trump anyway. It would be exactly the same if it was a Rubio or a Cruz or a Kasich in the Oval.

wrt the OP. The Lancet study does not really tell us anything we didn't already know. If HCQ was a cure, we'd know it. It's been widely administered in about every country, and the deaths still go up.

We don't even know enough about the way our immune systems react to the virus to know if suppressing the immune response is a proper strategy.

We don't know is if there is a protocol where it would help. Maybe it does have some prophylactic benefit, but I don't think we'll ever find out. The politicization of the drug has made it much harder to learn anything about it- at this point they can't even get enough participants for proper clinical trials.

The remdesivir study was cut short because it was showing positive results, and the decision was made to give it to everyone. So now we don't even really know how effective remdesivir is either- we're batting .000 in the clinical trial game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    And I think there are a LOT of people in rural areas mostly that are sick and tired of "career politicians" that say and do the right things to get elected and then not carry out those promises.
    Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trump - right or wrong - does what he believes is best for the country.
    how come the whole world, except some americans can see clearly it is quite the opposite?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    how come the whole world, except some americans can see clearly it is quite the opposite?
    Don't you have a rock to cower under ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    Could it be the frame of reference?

How does someone outside the US and a non US citizen evaluate what is good for the US?. I would imagine much of it would be based on what is considered good for the person making the evaluation from the perspective of their country.

Like wise for people inside the US, policies that are good for us would be considered good for us if it is to the general benefit of the US.

So when you say that a certain thing is bad, I interpret that to mean it is bad for you, not necessarily bad for me and if you say it is good, it likely is noy good for me. Just depends on whose ox is being gored.

24. Likes tdmidget, steve45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is that it's not about Trump anyway. It would be exactly the same if it was a Rubio or a Cruz or a Kasich in the Oval.

wrt the OP. The Lancet study does not really tell us anything we didn't already know. If HCQ was a cure, we'd know it. It's been widely administered in about every country, and the deaths still go up.

We don't even know enough about the way our immune systems react to the virus to know if suppressing the immune response is a proper strategy.

We don't know is if there is a protocol where it would help. Maybe it does have some prophylactic benefit, but I don't think we'll ever find out. The politicization of the drug has made it much harder to learn anything about it- at this point they can't even get enough participants for proper clinical trials.

The remdesivir study was cut short because it was showing positive results, and the decision was made to give it to everyone. So now we don't even really know how effective remdesivir is either- we're batting .000 in the clinical trial game.
    Add to this that for those that really need a Covid treatment are on a very bad course, not many are willing to participate in a double blind study. I think most will just accept the risks and proceed with treatment.

I think we also need to be careful in that I don't think hydroxychlorquine was ever promoted as a cure, even though many would like to think so. All of the drugs used at this time have been therapeutic, not a cure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They had to take doctor Jarvik off as a shill for some heart medicine. He invented a mechanical heart(see I am on topic, he had it built and had several models installed , in other people. He has a PHD in medical engineering but not an MD therefore he knows nothing about medicine or hearts and can not call himself a doctor on TV.
    Bil lD

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, it hardly matters what the rest of the world thinks is good for America. Just as it makes absolutely no difference what I think about what's good for Peru or Germany. Sure, I can have an opinion but I'm an outsider to those places. It's up to them to run their own shit. It our job to run our shit. If I don't like Chancellor Merkel*, I can go pound sand. If a non-American doesn't like Trump, the same applies.

Let me tell you...when Obama was President, I thought he was a horse's ass who was elected on racial pretenses. I still think that, and he did a great deal of damage to our country in many ways (China probably the biggest). But I'll be damned if I ever said so in public. I never aired our dirty laundry in front of the world. He won the election and I kept my mouth shut for the 8 long years he drunkenly steered the ship.

The saddest outgrowth of the VietNam/hippie/Nixon era is the seed that was planted, and has grown, that looking for any reason possible to speak out against the government is the preferred and just way to behave.

*Guess what? I had to look up the name of who is running Germany...I didn't even know. I didn't know it had a vagina and not a pee-pee. Unless it opens a war against the USA, I don't care what it is.

28. Likes tdmidget, steve45 liked this post