What's new
What's new

OT- Ideas for how to make a "pop up" microwave that is normally hidden ? (see video)

At 1:02 in below video..... any standard mechanism out there for this, or custom made ?

NEW Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 44 - YouTube

Second thought I had was to talk to the maker of the boat in the video and ask where they bought the pop up microwave.

First thought involved a couple of the pressurized cylinders that hold up hatchbacks, four good quality drawer slides with a stop at the top and a push to release catch at the bottom.

Third thought involves how to clean out crumbs and dirt that will accumulate over time in the bottom of the microwave well.

Paul

Second thought I had was to talk to the maker of the boat in the video and ask where they bought the pop up microwave.

First thought involved a couple of the pressurized cylinders that hold up hatchbacks, four good quality drawer slides with a stop at the top and a push to release catch at the bottom.

Third thought involves how to clean out crumbs and dirt that will accumulate over time in the bottom of the microwave well.

Paul

I think car hatch cylinders would be too stiff for this application, I'd consider either constrained counterweights (like sash weights for house windows), or light bungee cords, perhaps with a pulley or two for distance multiplication. Agree on the catch and slide guides.

Just make sure whatever you do is robust enough it can't come free during a good storm, having that bobbing about would not be ideal.

I used to make similar things for high end yachts, but for plasma TVs. The TVs were too heavy for those mechanisms, so we made motorized ones using ball screws. But the one you are looking for is a standard item. I've no doubt that the owner won't have a clue what it is. The Captain at the time the project was undertaken will undoubtedly know, though. If it was done by the builder, then they will know. Bottom line is that it's a relatively standard item. Specialty and niche ( for the market ), but standard - as in commonly employed and coming in various configurations. If I recall correctly, they were just pneumatic cylinders ( or simple springs on lesser models ) and rocker latches.

Search for linear actuators. I did thousands of hideaway car audio installs using them. They make them that can support a few ounces, or hundreds of pounds. I actually got flown to an island, and made a stash box under a jaccuzzi, and it was motorized to lift the tub out of the way. Had to drain it 2/3 down, and plumbing was a nightmare, but I made a lot of money on that job.

I got them from Select Products, which has been bought by Aamp of america. Just looked at their site and it sucks. You could call them on a weekday. If you have no luck, I'd be glad to call my distributor for more info.

We need to change our thinking. Instead of a hidden microwave oven, take the magnetron out of the existing oven, mount it under the counter emitting upwards, and move the controls to somewhere within easy reach.

When you want to cook something, just set the plate down on that part of the counter, dial in your minutes, and there you go! Just, uh, wear this aluminum overshirt and shorts while you're cooking. And hood...

I have a sewing machine cabinet with vertical lift. It was made around 1900. It uses a torsion spring like a garage door which can be rotated to adjust preload.Not sure how they controlled the belt drive from the treadle up to the machine. But it does have a door to get to the drive pulley easily.
Bill D.

OK...why would anyone want that? It seems like in an application where space is at a premium, you are using twice the space....the area under the appliance becomes useless for anything else. I guess it clears up counter space but at a price.

It's a bit of a first world problem, for sure....

And the counter space becomes really unusable, because things like a microwave are so often needed that they really deserve accessibility, and just the potential need to use the microwave blocks use of the space. That's why the over-stove hood/microwave devices were made.

On a boat, well, if that surface is used as everything.... cooking, eating, chart table, whatever, then it may make sense because the uses tend to be temporary. But I agree, it uses double the volume that it should, so there really needs to be a darn good reason for it. The over-stove usage employs space that is typically not useful to begin with, so it is a "new usage" that takes up no existing space.

Assuming it is wanted, however we may think it is counter-productive (no pun intended), the torsion spring approach seems the best, you can use a frictional regulator to prevent it popping up too fast, and it takes no power to operate. Power is often limited on boats. Plus, the torsion spring can do many turns without changing force very much.

Torsion spring, guides, and a rack/pinion drive with a viscous friction device on it. Latch and in-position lock up to you.

It does take a good balance of lifting force vs force needed to push down again. A system like a garage door spring sounds about right. In fact, a cable drive would be just as good and easier to install, no space needed for a rack.

My airstream has a hidden microwave on vertical slide. There is a power cutoff switch on mechanism so that microwave cannot be still running when hidden away to protect from fire.

I will check out specifics in next couple days. But from memory it is a roller type limit switch similar to cutler which shuts off all power to microwave. Mounted so that slide contacts roller and cuts power to microwave when drawer closed.

Is there any other appliance that can go down, when
the microwave comes up ?

So the counterweight idea would be a bit more efficient.

Maybe a small liquor cabinet ?

Back