What's new
What's new

OT I'm Curious - Any Cuban PMers?

Limy Sami

Diamond
The title says it all, ..........with Castros death on the radio I can't recall seeing any PMers listing Cuba as their home, so wonder if we have any exiles?

P.S. I'm pretty sure the internet doesn't really venture in to Cuba.

probably don't want it known that they have a lineshaft lathe and horizontal mill in the back yard , driven from a hub on a
1944 willys jeep on jackstands.... might get them in trouble for being a subversive machinist?

yes, cuba is a mystery . i'd like to visit someday.... are we allowed to go there , or has that happened yet?

I was there about two years ago and there's next to no internet access available. I read about Internet cafes but didn't see any (and based on the costs I read online the average Cuban wouldn't be able to afford it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting article here-
| Manufacturing SectorThe Cuban Economy – La Economia Cubana
it seems as if, aside from agriculture, primarily sugar, the big sector that Cuba has is the manufacture of pharmaceuticals. They are actually quite active in the biotech and drug sectors, and export quite a bit.
But in terms of making things from metal, there is practically zero industry there.
An Alabama company is trying to build a tractor factory, to sell tractors to cuban farmers, and, most likely, companies like Case want to assemble sugar harvesting machines and other ag machinery that will sell in cuba.
I am sure there are truck and machinery repair shops, and there is no reason to think they dont have russian made machine tools from the sixties and seventies.

They'd be in the Antique forum if they were anywhere.

You can go there as part of an organized tour group, my neighbors did. Said the food was good, the transportation not so good, the accommodations mediocre. They are experienced travellers, so I trust their judgment in these matters.

As I recall, any internet access was (still is?) very heavily restricted in Cuba, with only the very wealthy and the politically connected even allowed to own a computer, let alone able to browse the internet.

Home computers are virtually nonexistent, cell phones are relatively rare, and smart phones even more so. I believe they have a (heavily restricted) cell network mainly for the tourists and the rich/political types, but the average Cuban can't even afford a basic monthly rate, let alone the cost of a cell phone itself.

Even with Castro's death, it will be quite a while before the average Cuban has enough free access to the 'net that they can idly browse a site like PM.

Doc.

Also good to remember, his brother is in charge now, which could mean "business as usual", but it might not even be possible for things to change much until many years.

You really think we will be able to watch it? I suspect someone will just pop up in charge. Perhaps our intelligence agencies will be watching. But the rest of us? I doubt it.

Raul Castro is, I believe, 85... shouldn't have to wait too long. The succession fight will be interesting to watch.

Dennis

BUT, they have first class medical............Michael Moore said so!!

Ah, the friggen Cubans.
We should have just blown their island off of the planet in the early 60's when they thought they could stand up to us and been done with them.
Or maybe the other side of working people that have made do with shit on their plate and made it work.
Crazy the old stuff they keep going. True hackers to the bone. How to do it with nothing.
Do we see this drive in the US population now?
Bob

2871841 said:

For a microscopic nation with a GNP to match, they have made remarkarkable medical contributions:

Cuba Has Made At Least 3 Major Medical Innovations That We Need | The Huffington Post

They have sent large numbers of well-educated competent physicians to many countries around the world.

in addition, there is a sizable number of US students who have chosen Cuban medical schools.

The Americans studying medicine in Cuba

There are many things about Cuba that are very backwards, but their medical education and care should not be dismissed.

Denis

My stepdad is Cuban , he spent time in jail at the hand of Castro for assisting in the bay of pigs as a teenager. Interesting to members here he was able to make it to America as part of some deal at 17yo, unable to speak English , and worked at a machine shop in washington state until he joined the Army becoming a chief warrant officer and helicopter pilot.
My mom says that he and his family are all elated that he is dead, but they realize that to change the regime in Cuba will take more than the death of Fidel and his brother .
But for today they are happy.

Ah, the friggen Cubans.
We should have just blown their island off of the planet in the early 60's when they thought they could stand up to us and been done with them.
Or maybe the other side of working people that have made do with shit on their plate and made it work.
Crazy the old stuff they keep going. True hackers to the bone. How to do it with nothing.
Do we see this drive in the US population now?
Bob
If you go back and study some history it would be the Russians, not the Cubans.
Reason, missiles in Turkey. Which were withdrawn.

If you go back and study some history it would be the Russians, not the Cubans.
Reason, missiles in Turkey. Which were withdrawn.

Gosh, no kidding?
Not much need to study, was very much aware back then and remember exactly where I was when JFK was killed stronger than I recall 9-11.
I seem to remember the empty but ready missile sites being in Cuba but maybe that was photoshopped.
None the less the post was tongue in cheek if you missed that.
Certainly resourceful and resilient people on a small island despite a very uphill battle.

I don't think Cubans are bad, don't think those living under Bush, Obama, or Trump bad.
Not so sure about the Brits.....wait the old family is from Cornwall and when done right pasties are the best food ever invented so I may have to cut them some slack.
Bob

You betcha. Anyone notice when he got sick and nearly pitched about 10 years ago he went to spain for treatment?.....OTOH chavez got Cuban medical care, he got planted a few years ago. I bet moore does not go there for medical care!

Back