What's new
What's new

OT- iPhone 6S power bench test question

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
iPhone 6s.... if battery removed and the batteries little circuit board also removed from the battery... and 3.8 VDC applied via lab DC power suppy to this board should the iPhone power up ok even with the screen not closed ? (i.e. all ribbon cables connected but the two halves are separated). Suspect the answer is "yes" and I now need ultrasonic cleaning in 99% isopropyl alcohol. (and even that might not work in reality) But still I wonder...

Next will come questions as to why I want to know this.... and the answer has to do with overturning in a kayak with a phone in pocket...then "why did you have a phone in your pocket during such a risky activity ?" and then "why not put it in baggie at least" and then on and on.....:dopeslap:

I once dropped my cellphone into a hotel's saltwater swimming pool . I dove in and got it out soon but kept fumbling with the bloody battery cover trying to open it. Needless to say it was on so the phone overheated , and that was the end of it.

Tried cleaning away the white deposit that built up on the circuit board and cleaned with alcohol but it was no use.

Tried cleaning away the white deposit that built up on the circuit board and cleaned with alcohol but it was no use.
I think ultrasonic cleaning is the only hope in saltwater dunks (which mine was as well....I did soak it in fresh water within 20 minutes, heated it, vacuumed all pores and resisted the temptation to turn it on for a day (although it was in sleep mode, so it was on to some extent anyway) Ultrasonic cleaners are surprising cheap for that size...like $40 bucks or so. New battery only 7 bucks. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if something shorted regardless. Ironically on previous kayak trips I did have the phone in a waterproof baggie but the one time I didn't....over I went....pesky overconfidence...

Multiple rinses in DI water is a must, no good ultrasonic in alcohol as it won't dissolve the salt. Ultrasonic in DI water multiple times, then a final few goes in alchol then 48 hours in a drying cabinet is how they revive black box memory cards that have been down to depths of multiple Km.

its what stops me from getting a i phone, i would love one, but if its not water tight as in to at least a couple of feet i know it won't make it past 6 weeks.

Que jokes about if you had had a Samsung not only would it have been water tight, but it then could have caught fire to help warm you back up :-)

If you can resuscitate a phone after a saltwater dunk, don't give the method away -- patent it.

It'll be worth a lot :)
There are videos on Youtube where they resuscitated phones that looked much worse than mine on the inside via 99% isopropol alcohol (as opposed to so called "rubbing alcohol" which is 90%) and cheap ultrasonic cleaner....plus blowing away excess liquid.

Of course the videos could be fake....but I doubt it. I have to buy another phone today and this is a good excuse to get an iPhone 7 but I still might try fixing the 6S eventually just to see if I can do it.... and also because I'm missing about two weeks of photos and videos that were not backed up to my other Apple computers...nothing critical, but just annoying if I have to do them over ...all machine tool related....took long video walk thrus of entire shop before the hurricane for example....which I don't really need, as there was zero damage at the shop...but I should do another anyway just in case I need it someday.

If nothing else, now I know taking one of these phones apart is easy*... and changing batteries super easy as long as you don't care about ruining the one in there in the process...Apple uses some hellacious adhesive on the backside of the thing that makes it pretty hard to remove without damaging the surprising fragile and flexible battery in the process. But once removed, just use standard issue double face tape** on the new one. Plus the batteries are surprisingly cheap on eBay...like 7 bucks with free shipping.

---------------------------------------

*Having said that, I don't know that taking the 7 apart will be as easy due to it's water resistance sealing.

**or use nothing.....fit is snug enough I doubt the battery really needs any adhesive.

--------------------------------------

Notice no one has answered my actual question however..... but none of you know the answer, and that is understandable.

As to the lab supply i don't know, i do know it does and does not work on a phone to phone basis, my old nokia had a chiped battery, with out some kinda digital hand shake, no go! Now on a phone like a i phone were the battery is not removable as std it may well not have thoes kinda features. depending on the battery though 3.8V may be a little low, 4V probaly would be a better shot, depending on the exact cell chemistry 3.8V is getting towards the flatter end (most lion ion - poly batteries cut off at 3.6 ish as flat though several will discharge a lot lower with out damage)

As to the lab supply i don't know, i do know it does and does not work on a phone to phone basis, my old nokia had a chiped battery, with out some kinda digital hand shake, no go! Now on a phone like a i phone were the battery is not removable as std it may well not have thoes kinda features. depending on the battery though 3.8V may be a little low, 4V probaly would be a better shot, depending on the exact cell chemistry 3.8V is getting towards the flatter end (most lion ion - poly batteries cut off at 3.6 ish as flat though several will discharge a lot lower with out damage)
The lab power should work if you remove the tiny circuit board from the battery and use that for the positive and negative. I just want to make sure the two halves didn't need to be closed as well...not ground issues but thought maybe some obsure clip had to engage with the two halfs. The video of lab tests is using on iPhone 5, which can be power connected with only the back removed....but nothing on the 6S I can find.

Last night I bought an iPhone 7 and was suprised that the photos I had tried to upload to the Cloud that didn't seem to work actually did work for the last month or two of photos anyway....so now I have all photos and videos....the latest ones on the new 7 phone and the older ones on Macbook Pro and iMac.

What did not upload to the Cloud are my "notes"... like directions to the shop for truckers, machine parts numbers, etc...and my past voice mails....none of which matter all that much, but is annoying enough I will still try the ultrasonic trick on the old phone eventually....and if that works just keep the phone as an emergency back up.

As per advice, in the ultrasonic machine, I will use distilled water first, followed by 99% isopropal alcohol and just buy a new $7 battery. If it still doesn't work after all that I might as well toss it in the trash, even though it might fetch $200 (really) in that condition on eBay, it is not worth the risk that someone else might actually get it working and then have too much of my private data to look at.

Back