OT-ish - is Adama OK? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sad news Since he had a good mind for fabrication and welding I really enjoyed reading his posts. Almost always learned a little tid-bit in his writings.
    RIP

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do we know it’s the right guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I missed post 59

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I must say this is not the outcome I was expecting, I assumed he was taking break from posting here.

Very sad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

UPDATE

There have been several folk - not all PM members?? quietly working behind the scenes on our behalf in order to find out what happened to Adama.

Little more than a paragraph in a Parish magazine (also published online) was spotted, and said Reverend of that Parish contacted, and I have just had his reply forwarded to me.

--------------------------------------------------

Dear (Name of original addressee redacted )

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have done some ringing around and found the answer to your question. Unfortunately Adam Allchin died suddenly (natural cause) in May of this year.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of sad news.

Yours sincerely,

Rev Richard Finch
    Last edited by Limy Sami; 12-02-2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: change to italics

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm terribly sorry to hear this.

Admin- is there a way to change someone's status from Diamond or whatever to something else that would commemorate them as a passed contributor of significance?

Beckley23, JRIowa, Adama, and others come to mind as people that the site should note, IMO.

7. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    I'm terribly sorry to hear this.

Admin- is there a way to change someone's status from Diamond or whatever to something else that would commemorate them as a passed contributor of significance?

Beckley23, JRIowa, Adama, and others come to mind as people that the site should note, IMO.
    RIP all of them.
    not to be snarky at all... but perhaps it ought to be "Rust".

9. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dsergison View Post
    RIP all of them.

Also not to be snarky - how about "Unobtainium"?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dsergison View Post
    RIP all of them.
    That's really sad news , being an X-pat originally from the UK I always liked what Adam had to say / same "wavelength", and his sense of humor.

If you are doing the material as "Passed away" ~ maybe granite ? (is that already used ?) .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

RIP, very sad news. One of my favorite people here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post

If you are doing the material as "Passed away" ~ maybe granite ? (is that already used ?) .
    We need to petition Don to have this be a subtle, but clear indication that the bearer is no more. Great idea Cole2534 and Cameraman.

And here's my new thread on the subject: Petition Don for a new "material" for members - "Granite" to signify a passed member?

Please let me know if I misstated anything in the new thread ASAP, so it can be corrected before getting locked-in.

14. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    We need to petition Don to have this be a subtle, but clear indication that the bearer is no more. Great idea Cole2534 and Cameraman.
    Thanks and +1 one on Cole2534.

I figure "Granite" as if you are buried (tombstone) , cremated (urn) or even have monument built to commemorate your "existence" regardless of religion etc. for thousands of years granite is the material of choice … + being one preferred material for inspection slabs of various grades against which nearly all things are traced to / measured against in a shop.

Rust is kinda funny has a humorous angle but also implies "breaker " yard / being junked / useless. Maybe ?

There are "peeps" on this forum that have passed and have made a very valuable and enduring contribution to this forum that can be data mined or learnt from for many years to come. So their contributions still stand / don't degrade or "rust" as such. (Shrugging shoulders.)

I know that one should not approach one's posts like a forum is mount Rushmore or anything but I think it's worth indicating a certain level of respect for anyone that has attempted to make an effort that IS useful* (in whatever way).

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

* Personally I approach things in an opposite way IF all my posts were deleted I'd be fine with that 'cuz it's not Mount Rushmore but PM forum in general is a learning / valuable multifaceted archive where a lot of the more useful information from seasoned machinists IS very valuable and enduring IMO.

16. Likes Milland, BoxcarPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if Adama made any of the metal work in the photo? What will your legacy be.
    Bill D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    UPDATE

There have been several folk - not all PM members?? quietly working behind the scenes on our behalf in order to find out what happened to Adama.

Little more than a paragraph in a Parish magazine (also published online) was spotted, and said Reverend of that Parish contacted, and I have just had his reply forwarded to me.

--------------------------------------------------

Dear (Name of original addressee redacted )

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have done some ringing around and found the answer to your question. Unfortunately Adam Allchin died suddenly (natural cause) in May of this year.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of sad news.

Yours sincerely,

Rev Richard Finch
    Shit. I don't know why, but am only now discovering this thread. This really sucks. I'm really sorry to hear this.

19. Likes Oldwrench, cameraman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    Rust is kinda funny has a humorous angle but also implies "breaker " yard / being junked / useless. Maybe ?

There are "peeps" on this forum that have passed and have made a very valuable and enduring contribution to this forum that can be data mined or learnt from for many years to come. So their contributions still stand / don't degrade or "rust" as such. (Shrugging shoulders.)
    Rust rhymes with, and is a form of dust, as in "ashes to ashes, dust to dust".
    Wasn't thinking of the scrapyards...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Rust rhymes with, and is a form of dust, as in "ashes to ashes, dust to dust".
    Wasn't thinking of the scrapyards...
    Yeah I get it , I was thinking that association too. It's a good concept using the material label when a new member tries to ask questions of someone that has passed in a old thread etc. another Forum member can say/ identify easily that … "Yeah unfortunately and sadly …so and so passed "

Rust ~ "Dust to dust" - It's a narrow scope to Christian burials as far as I know ? "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust" ?

But thought it was quite funny / displays a certain humor.

on the other hand it's one click away from saying "Worm food"/ element of progressive decomposition. ~ I thought granite might be more dignified … (just threw that out there as one idea.).

Anyhoo This thread is about Adama / Adam so don't want to de-rail his memory / main thrust of this thread so I'll bug out on "Material handles" to denote a PM member that has passed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Another thought - what do people think of reaching out to his significant other? Would she take comfort in knowing that a large online community misses Adam...?
    We're all different, but as someone who lost my most significant other 20 odd years ago, at that stage of grief, she was most of what I was thinking and talking about. So my answer is an unqualified YES!

... or is it better to let the time that's passed maintain its healing distance?
    I regard myself as healed now (and changed), so contact from others about her now gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. So at any stage, sympathy from others/stories about the dearly departed are very welcome.

IIRC, Adam described her as unappreciated by her family growing up, so I think it would be even more welcome.

23. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We've had a few votes up and down on sending our regards. I'd vote for a "yes, send our thoughts", but it is tough to figure that out without knowing the personalities involved.

25. Likes camscan, gregormarwick, Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    We're all different, but as someone who lost my most significant other 20 odd years ago, at that stage of grief, she was most of what I was thinking and talking about. So my answer is an unqualified YES!

I regard myself as healed now (and changed), so contact from others about her now gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. So at any stage, sympathy from others/stories about the dearly departed are very welcome.

IIRC, Adam described her as unappreciated by her family growing up, so I think it would be even more welcome.
    I agree that some sympathy would be fine. Having recently lost two relatives that I dearly loved, I appreciated the sympathy that I was given. I just didn't like hearing "Cheer up.- You'll get over it."

27. Likes neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    I agree that some sympathy would be fine. Having recently lost two relatives that I dearly loved, I appreciated the sympathy that I was given. I just didn't like hearing "Cheer up.- You'll get over it."
    My Mom and my step-Dad passed about a month and a half apart last year. Glad no one said that to me. Better to say "I sorry to hear that - he/she was always _________ to me". Where the blank can be tailored to the person.