What's new
What's new

OT:- Its New Year, whos for losing some weight?

Demon69

Titanium
I might go for a quick -10kg in 20 days.

Anyone else planning to burn some blubber? Whats your goal and what plan do you have for your body in the near future.

Anyone else planning to burn some blubber? Whats your goal and what plan do you have for your body in the near future.

I'm sure we could loose several tons here at PM with a general housecleaning of the trolls.....:D

I was just under 17st, just under 13 1/2 now but rate of loss now a crawl, I didn’t decide to I just changed my diet a bit, lots more beans, lentils rice less factory food, ready made stuff, much better for it and to be honest if I’d have been 16+ stone the surgeons would not have done a bypass on me, I was just over 13 1/2 when that happened, obese people don’t survive anathesia or surgery well, plus’s knees much better so loosing weight is definitely worthwhile
Mark

Lose weight ? Just move to northern Idaho. I haven't been able to get out of the house for 3 weeks to get groceries and have lost 10 pounds already. And before that I only weighed 135 lbs.

I tend to use the 5-2 or 6-1 diets where you have one or two starve days a week but otherwise eat normally. Still do breakfast on a starve day tho'. Clive sans breakfast is not safe to be within biting distance of!

Not fast but one short food day out of several doesn't kick the body into "running on low food mode" which seems to be the Achilles heel of most diet plans as you tend to adapt to managing on less food.

Easier for me than most because I tend to feel quite unwell if I get much over 11 stone. 10 is about right. Something in my genetics has cheaped out and sneaked a "not to be used in bodies over 11 stone" part in. At 5 ft 11 and fairly broad shouldered I run light on the acceptable healthy weight range.

Clive

You plan on losing a leg?

Yes - I should lose a couple of stone....no excuse really as there's plenty of places to ride bikes and walk around here.
But shifting it aint as easy as it used to be....

I hope it doesnt come to that. :o

'no excuse really'
'But shifting it aint as easy as it used to be....'

Erhmm :D

Well I definitely don't recommend the colon cancer diet (60lbs + in 3 months)

Quit complaining, you've got next year to see in. ;)

Lose weight ? Just move to northern Idaho. I haven't been able to get out of the house for 3 weeks to get groceries and have lost 10 pounds already. And before that I only weighed 135 lbs.

I think my experience will mirror your own quite closely.

I tend to use the 5-2 or 6-1 diets where you have one or two starve days a week but otherwise eat normally. Still do breakfast on a starve day tho'. Clive sans breakfast is not safe to be within biting distance of!

Not fast but one short food day out of several doesn't kick the body into "running on low food mode" which seems to be the Achilles heel of most diet plans as you tend to adapt to managing on less food.

Easier for me than most because I tend to feel quite unwell if I get much over 11 stone. 10 is about right. Something in my genetics has cheaped out and sneaked a "not to be used in bodies over 11 stone" part in. At 5 ft 11 and fairly broad shouldered I light on the acceptable healthy weight range.

Clive

I'm late forties and 5ft 9ish, six pack lean around the 75kg mark, currently at 90kg odd and feeling meh for too much sitting and pigging the old pie hole. My plan is take a brisk trip below 80kg via extended periods of not eating and doing some exercise. Exercise being anything that doesn't involve staring at a screen, like now lol

Cheers all

If you lose it fast you'll gain it back fast, too. Easy to lose, harder to keep weight off. As you get older you don't burn as much ... go slower and make permanent changes to bad habits works best.

Get a dog and walk it an hour a day, and eat less garbage food ? Don't know if you have Twinkies Ding-Dongs and Ho-Hos in England but just cutting out the junk food and excess carbs will be a big help.

Part of the mechanism is very few stick to an abrupt diet change for very long. Look up the history of "greatest looser" contestants. Very few long term success stories there.

How many decades did it take you to put the extra weight on? Plan on that many years to take it off and it will stay off.

I've added 3 new holes to my belt since October. The trick was to cut way back on the carbs and start doing this thing called "work". (I work in a rough, semi-outdoors heavy class 8 truck shop....) Its brutally physical at times. Not really counting calories, but keeping it down to ~2k or less per day. 10-hr days.

Last edited:
I changed my diet because I was pre-diabetic, high cholesterol and on statins for 20 years and about 6 months ago, Dr. put me on blood pressure medication for hypertension.

I cut out sugar and simple carbs, basically a Keto diet along with intermittent fasting. After 4 months, blood pressure is normal, fasting blood glucose level is normal, fasting insulin levels are perfect and I lost 20 pounds without trying.

This is a lifestyle change and every once in a while, I go off and eat some bread, macaroni etc.. but for the most part, I have been pretty careful to avoid sugar and simple carbs. It has been a real education, it seems fat is not the culprit, sugar and simple carbs that your body coverts to sugar is.

I know this is a very simplistic view and I am certainly not here to preach, but in my case, the results are astounding and work for me and my wife. BTW, I am, also a cancer survivor (8 years cancer free).

Happy New Year.

Whats the mechanism behind that? Can you elaborate pls
Partly it's like GBent said, and partly from what little memory I have left, your metabolism gets into habits. If you just do a quick starvation thing for a couple of weeks, it will figure you were just short of food for a while and go right back where it was as soon as possible. You have to retrain your metabolism, and that takes time.

+1 on jbacc's method, too. Of course everyone is different but getting rid of junk food can't be a bad thing.

Giardia!! It's an intestinal parasite I picked up this fall. Don't really recommend it but I dropped about 30lbs in a month. Food was going right through me. Except for that one month, I feel better than before.

Dave

I dropped around 40 last year starting on memorial day. Started at 225, got to about 185. Holding pretty well right there, but I want to drop another 20 this year just to see how it feels. I'm happy where I'm at and can hold it well, but I've still got a lot of bodyfat.

I just eat less, eat better, cut out junk, count calories and do some exercise. Row 10 minutes, 50 crunches, 20 grandma push ups, 50 crunches, 20 grandma pushups, Then take a 2 mile walk with a 25-30 pound pack to get out and get my legs going. Then go in and repeat the indoor stuff. Takes me about an hour and 15-30 minutes depending. I feel a hell of a lot better each day after doing it.

Key for me is to never give myself a day off. Every single day, the same thing.

Back