OT- Is it just me or do you guys just hate having to hire someone to fix something? - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I Got a shirt that says FOUROFFS LANDSCAPING. Last September I was one of 10 drivers who went off the Tarmac. I lost a tiny bit of paint on a rear wheel. The 9 others totaled or nearly totaled their cars. A few were just built too. That is more than a whole seasons worth. Some people are not so good when they go off.

Country
    SWEDEN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I'm probably the exact opposite, I hate working on anything these days (and I am 45, not a millennial!) , I would just as soon pay someone and have my time. I am a fairly generous person (money, help, etc), except with my time. I want my time for me, not coming home and working around the house, or busting my knuckles trying to get a rusted bolt free on the car...
    46 here. Echoing. I won't even fix a flat tyre on my bike. I know what I'm good at, and being a handyman isn't one of those things.

Of course that'd likely change if I ever got any good at manual labor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

65 here. For many things I'd rather do it myself but for some jobs I'd rather hire a pro.

Just this weekend a bathroom faucet was dripping. I swung by the hardware store on the way back from an errand and had the parts replaced within a few minutes. The whole process probably took less time than waiting for a $90 per hour plumber to arrive. I bought extra parts so next time no trip to the store.

4. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    65 here. For many things I'd rather do it myself but for some jobs I'd rather hire a pro.

Just this weekend a bathroom faucet was dripping. I swung by the hardware store on the way back from an errand and had the parts replaced within a few minutes. The whole process probably took less time than waiting for a $90 per hour plumber to arrive. I bought extra parts so next time no trip to the store.
    Yes, and the counterpoint (it is rare that I farm out) Had my parents bathroom redone complete, walk in tub/shower conversion, new PEX run from basement to all the fixtures.

Plumber was good, and also replaced the toilet shut off.
    He explained how that particular model has a tendency to leak after some time.
    The valve stem color was the "old type", new is different in that regard only.

I value this kind of work/info, and willing pay for it (keeping me out of trouble)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven-Canada View Post
    I had some carpenter work done on the outside of the house, garage doors and such.

I picked up 41 nails and screws off the driveway alone.

Judging by that, there are hundreds more in the grass we will find in the mower tires.
    Aluminum siding nails, no magnet will work.

This a-hole must love fixing flat tires.
    The people who did our roof had tarps and swept all around with a big magnet but I still found a few nails in the flower beds and even one or two on the lawn. I wouldn't hesitate to hire them again. When I swept for nails I used a small disc magnet on a pole that could get in places their huge bar magnet couldn't.

On the other hand, the A-hole who reamed the kitchen sewer connection that runs under the floor a few years ago walked across the basement floor dripping greasy crud from the snake all the way back out to his truck. I had paper towels and a lined basket ready but he ignored that and just let it drip. What a slob! I had to wash the floor and outside steps with strong detergent and even wash the grass where he walked.

She doesn't pour leftover sauce down the kitchen sink anymore. Its now my job to dispose of stuff like that and I de-emulsify everything with dish detergent before flushing it down the toilet in small batches.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i would love to have stuff done,but I get a quote (always a franchise ,nowdays),and six months later when the guy finally turns up to do the job ,first thing he does is hit me up for $2000 in cash -for incidentals----I refuse to give $2000 to someone just came in the gate,he goes off and is never seen again.....Front fence is still bare posts and one lonely panel.....Someday it will either get finished ,or I will die and the land will be under high density multistory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Random-

When my friend has to do house repairs they get quotes for the job, like replacing a water heater. Then if it's within his ability, beit time or skill, he'll do the work himself and save the extra money in a fund. They then use that fund for home improvements or vacation.

It's his way of being able to reflect on his savings rather than have them trickle away from his general fund.

9. Likes awake liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    I guess its best to admit when one is wrong.

I guess I knew it was bad when the wife was like- "look you decided to bring it to a shop, just wait and see how it turns out"....
    Well it went OK- a fair shake- at estimate, gave me 10% across the board on parts and seems like the shop knew what they were doing.

Update- I picked up the car and got a chance to look under the hood when I got it home.
    It’s like when I take apart a laptop and have a handful of stuff left over- they use more screws than they really need right...?

efbe0b0e-59e2-4f37-bdc4-ec3e37079006.jpg

But the car runs great even if some nuts are missing lol.
    Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I get screwed going to an independent mechanic and wife always gets perfect work done for VERY reasonable prices. Cannot figure it out.car-hood.jpg

12. Likes Bob-J-H, Cole2534, tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair.

I have a friend that is a commercial cement contractor, poured thousands of yards, foundations for machinery, commercial buildings, special specifications, etc.

I swing by and help him one Friday afternoon, his crew is
    doing a simple addition to his own driveway.

Sawcut it allot when done, to preclude any cracking.

Next year...cracked like crazy.....

That's when I coined the term "Precracked concrete"
    and explained how he should have installed that.

"Interlocking Pavers".....They never crack.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    I get screwed going to an independent mechanic and wife always gets perfect work done for VERY reasonable prices. Cannot figure it out.car-hood.jpg
    Try flirting...

15. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    EG, not sure if you caught that or not...his and your flips are not the same... He's talking about flipping tires on rims...
    Oh. We just flip the whole car, with the tires still on it. Saves a lot of time, 25 minutes versus five seconds. What's not to like ?

17. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    Hired a surgeon. Piss poor but couldn't do it myself.
    That is what is known as a "cut rate" surgeon.

19. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Update- I picked up the car and got a chance to look under the hood when I got it home.
    It’s like when I take apart a laptop and have a handful of stuff left over- they use more screws than they really need right...?

efbe0b0e-59e2-4f37-bdc4-ec3e37079006.jpg

But the car runs great even if some nuts are missing lol.
    Thanks guys
    Engine cover nut?

Even the "good" repair shop near me did that. Since it was a non-standard design I had to fabricate a close replica (from memory) out of Delrin.

21. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen fasteners left off so many times I've lost count. Usually they put the ones on you can see, leave the ones off that are hard to reach or not visible. Bastages. This is what happens when you get paid "by the book" I guess.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Have done... Didn't seem to help to me. But maybe your needle guy is better than mine, heh. I've tried ALL manner of things. Surgery, PT, acupuncture, opioids, epidural injections, can't even think of everything. Got a spinal cord stimulator too. Like all the rest of the things that help a bit, it only works until it hurts so bad that NOTHING works. Once I hit that level it's invert for a while and then lie down until it stops hurting so much. And I ain't just a pussy either. Been through separated shoulder, broken bones, more stitches than I can count, kidney stones, 2nd degree burns the size of a dinner plate, etc. I am intimately familiar with what real pain feels like, heh. This back pain is the worst of any of them. Never quits.
    You have my sympathy, sir. Made me hurt just READING the above. Hope you can find something new that works!

24. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Engine cover nut?

Even the "good" repair shop near me did that. Since it was a non-standard design I had to fabricate a close replica (from memory) out of Delrin.
    Yep- just a plastic shield over the intake manifold.
    No a big deal I just thought it was funny given some of the comments on this thread about missing parts.

It is odd- I have to walk my jobs to make sure everything is ok for the client,
    I wouldn’t miss that missing nut.

I can tell ya though- it HAPPENS in marine trades work.
    I’ve witnessed more than a couple sunk boats from guys at other shops leaving a raw water fitting off or loose.
    A yacht just had to bail at the start of a offshore passage due to a bad sealant job and was taking on water.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nearly 100% of this thread is about car & home repair, but want do think about diy with respect to your own profession?
    In my business, attempting to repair a clock yourself will almost certainly result in it costing you more.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doing a LOT of this stuff yourself will almost certainly cost you more if you consider your lost time (business owner-wise and loss of profit on the machine you could have been running) and the fact that it takes longer to do it than a guy who does it every day. But you know it's done well. It's totally worth it to me if it's something I'm proficient in or something I want to learn to be proficient in. If I have someone I can trust to do a good job working on something then I don't mind so much.

My attitude is if you're going to do something, do it right, and don't half-ass it. Unless the guy that would otherwise be doing the work has that attitude, he's not going to be doing the work for me. Far prefer to do it myself, even if it takes much longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's my main rationalization/excuse on why I'm such a terrible procrastinator with numerous unfinished projects for years...