What's new
What's new

OT, kinda. Freight shipper making multiple stops?

nsaqam

Cast Iron
Well, it seems I have machines coming from SC, MD, and OH.

A bunch of super cool stuff from SC but nowhere near a full load, a Cincy #2 from MD, a Gorton 375-4 T&CG at Yoder in Holland OH, and a B&S 824 MM SG, two heat treat furnaces, 5 camel back straight edges and some small stuff from HGR in Euclid OH.

Is it reasonable to attempt to find a trucking firm who would be willing to start in SC, go to MD and then stop at HGR and Yoder to make all of my deliveries in one trip?
I'd say the weight would be under 18K# and all the stuff would probably fit nicely on a flatbed semi trailer.

Anyone done anything of this sort before?

Thanks,

Ken

Probably not going to be cost effective to do it that way. I've done loads like that, but we booked the load as "Exclusive Use" and paid dearly for it. Our loads were all from a single origination point but with two different delivery locations. When it was time to ship the loads back, we found it way cheaper to go "Exclusive Use" from each location direct to home. Because what we were shipping required special handling and timing, we booked those type loads to be on dedicated runs from the originationt to the desitnation with only our equipment onboard.

It generally doesn't pay to try to second guess the logistics guys and their computers especially if it means half loads going any distance at all. However, if you could find a dock in OH then I could see shipping everything to the dock there and then one truck to MN. I think that could be very profitable for a shipper based in OH.

Thanks Star.

I think that I'm going to make the run to Ohio myself to pick up the items there and will just have a coupla trucking firms bring the stuff from SC and MD.

It generally doesn't pay to try to second guess the logistics guys and their computers especially if it means half loads going any distance at all. However, if you could find a dock in OH then I could see shipping everything to the dock there and then one truck to MN. I think that could be very profitable for a shipper based in OH.

No wonder you people have trucking problems. The "shipper" is the entity who ships the material. The "CARRIER" is the entity that transports it. The "consignee" is the entity that is to receive it. For people that are supposed to deal in precision for a living this is amazing.

No wonder you people have trucking problems. The "shipper" is the entity who ships the material. The "CARRIER" is the entity that transports it. The "consignee" is the entity that is to receive it. For people that are supposed to deal in precision for a living this is amazing.

The nomenclature may very well be incorrect but I, and I suspect you too, know exactly what he's talking about. The post was helpful to me and I am grateful he took the time to post it.

And what I call a 'dock' is called a 'terminal'. I'll try to keep these in mind but I pay a bunch of great guys known as Oak Harbor Freight to know that stuff for me. I don't expect my 'carrier' to know the difference between a VBM and a VTL either.

What is so precision about freight? It either left or it didn't. Then it either arrived or it didn't. Does terminology really factor in all that much? Why not just try to give some useful advice instead of nit picking?

The nomenclature may very well be incorrect but I, and I suspect you too, know exactly what he's talking about. The post was helpful to me and I am grateful he took the time to post it.

Everybody knew what he was talking about.

And what I call a 'dock' is called a 'terminal'. I'll try to keep these in mind but I pay a bunch of great guys known as Oak Harbor Freight to know that stuff for me. I don't expect my 'carrier' to know the difference between a VBM and a VTL either.

Unless you work in that certain field, the lay person will speak in terms that make sense to them and still get their point across. You did fine, there are just a lot of superiority complexes on here.

Back