Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

goober nonsense ie Poking along on remote back roads at 10-20 MPH
    May not be relevant to very many people, road hunters I guess.

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 10 fingers View Post
    The 10R80 does not have a free wheeling coast mode. There is no over run clutch and the converter stays locked. So going down hill the transmission creates compression braking same as a manual transmission. Have to shift into neutral on down grades.
    What if any automatic transmissions freewheel down hills?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The big issue that no one has addressed is replacement cost down the road. It will be thousands and no ordinary workshop will be able to rebuild these gearboxes because of all the special tools and equipment required. Add that to the common use of turbos on gasoline engines and you have a formula for a maintenance disaster. Turbos should be reserved for diesels not gasoline motors. Turbos last about 100,000 miles before a replacement is required on a diesel and much less on a gas motor because of both heat and throttle plate caused surge issues.

5. Likes 10 fingers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    I'm not sure it's Ford's fault that you haven't changed your driving habits since the Eisenhower administration. Maybe you should swap in a Power Glide.

Did you even test drive the thing?
    Yes I did test drive but not under the same conditions mentioned. Own several cars. All have better shifting transmissions. Modest familiarity with automatic transmission manufacture and design. Worked several years at Hydramatic and Ford Livonia. Later, was senior engineer of transmission and converter component design for the largest aftermarket supplier. Also, design and manufacture Powerglide gear sets and shafting that have dominated Super Gas and Super Comp for several years. And you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To add....

Wes,

Going 40mph on some back roads in Vermont is dangerous. And there's a much different driving culture here in Vermont than IIlinois/ Indiana (where I grew up).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I resist participating in OT threads as typically only goober nonsense, which is where this is headed. I took delivery of a 2019 F150 6 weeks ago with the 5.0 and 10R80 transmission. I do not like it. I live in very hilly country. Enjoy coasting down the hills to recover some of the energy climbing them. The 10R80 does not have a free wheeling coast mode. There is no over run clutch and the converter stays locked. So going down hill the transmission creates compression braking same as a manual transmission. Have to shift into neutral on down grades. On gentle acceleration the transmission rapidly, forcefully shifts 3 or 4 times. Bump-Bump-Bump. Not at all a seamless transition between speeds. Poking along on remote back roads at 10-20 MPH the transmission is constantly hunting. Find it requires using the manual mode. Pick a speed and stay with it. Overall, is a disappointment.
    IIRC "free coasting" is illegal, per the Penndot motor vehicle code, probably the federal code as well.

What you "Daryl, Daryl, and my other brother Daryl" hicks doo in the back woods of "Vermont" is pretty much irrelevant to the OP, and 99% of the normal people here.

9. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default different world

Quote Originally Posted by NRDock View Post
    goober nonsense ie Poking along on remote back roads at 10-20 MPH
    May not be relevant to very many people, road hunters I guess.
    https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...9&d=1566393101

Come visit and I'll take you trout fishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_20190818_114200505_hdr-1-.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...9&d=1566393101

Come visit and I'll take you trout fishing.
    Can I come?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    The big issue that no one has addressed is replacement cost down the road. It will be thousands and no ordinary workshop will be able to rebuild these gearboxes because of all the special tools and equipment required. Add that to the common use of turbos on gasoline engines and you have a formula for a maintenance disaster. Turbos should be reserved for diesels not gasoline motors. Turbos last about 100,000 miles before a replacement is required on a diesel and much less on a gas motor because of both heat and throttle plate caused surge issues.
    What year are you living in? I agree that these new cars are EXPENSIVE to repair but I disagree with your comment on turbos. I work on many many cars that make it to 200k+ on the original turbo.

13. Likes Garwood, MattiJ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    I like the 12v cummins Zf6 combo... now thats a winner. I just generally like real manuals, you stick them in the gear YOU want them in.
    Me too. Can you even buy a car or truck in the US with a manual transmission anymore? (Other than, maybe, a sports car?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What year are you living in? I agree that these new cars are EXPENSIVE to repair but I disagree with your comment on turbos. I work on many many cars that make it to 200k+ on the original turbo.
    That's what I've heard also. I suspect many of the early failures were due to poor maintenance. I've been told that crappy oil, very dirty oil or low oil will kill a turbo faster than it will kill an engine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    Me too. Can you even buy a car or truck in the US with a manual transmission anymore? (Other than, maybe, a sports car?)
    Maybe the super-compact/economy class. Checked online, looks like Ford Fiesta and Chevy Spark are the only two "cars" I could find with manual as an option (RIP in peace Focus ). Probably some equivalents from Honda, Toyota, European imports as well. Manual transmissions in trucks and SUVs are long gone, unless you count the Jeep Wrangler. That's all I can think of right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    Last I looked, you can get both a Civic and an Accord in manual, my 2014 Mazda 3 daily driver is a 6spd, my Dad's Tacoma (older, like a 2K7, I believe) is a 5spd, the Kia Forte comes with a manual....

They're dying out, but not dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the 12v cummins Zf6 combo... now thats a winner. I just generally like real manuals, you stick them in the gear YOU want them in.
    Ford made a whole bunch of ZF6 Superdutys. You think it's easy to find a superduty crew with non-base interior and a ZF6 that isn't on Copart? I searched for 3 years cash in hand before I bought my '03 with high miles. I could have bought hundreds of nice 5R110 trucks. people just don't sell them.

The ZF6 is a winner. I've rebuilt a handful of them and they make every other pickup transmission look like a joke. Bearings are twice the size of an NV5600. They shift dead consistent from one to the next. Run on cheap shit DEX3. ZF knows what they are doing.

Mine's got 350K and shifts pretty good for never having been touched. Better than a brand new G56 or NV5600 did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes the overlords deemed manuals dangerous to mother earth........................these 6,8,10 speed autos keep the EPA happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Ford made a whole bunch of ZF6 Superdutys. You think it's easy to find a superduty crew with non-base interior and a ZF6 that isn't on Copart? I searched for 3 years cash in hand before I bought my '03 with high miles. I could have bought hundreds of nice 5R110 trucks. people just don't sell them.

The ZF6 is a winner. I've rebuilt a handful of them and they make every other pickup transmission look like a joke. Bearings are twice the size of an NV5600. They shift dead consistent from one to the next. Run on cheap shit DEX3. ZF knows what they are doing.

Mine's got 350K and shifts pretty good for never having been touched. Better than a brand new G56 or NV5600 did.
    All I can tell you is that is the only trans that has lived behind the 12v and 42psi of boost without grenading almost instantly. It is a beast of a transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All I can tell you is that is the only trans that has lived behind the 12v and 42psi of boost without grenading almost instantly. It is a beast of a transmission.
    I was curious: ZF S6-650, S6-750 Transmission Specs & Ratios Looks like a good one. My state of the art work truck is an 1986 Dodge 3/4 ton van with a LoadFlite transmission. This it the 3rd raggedy van the transmission has been in since it was rebuilt 25ish years ago.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Consider yourself lucky. There are a lot of shops selling replacement turbos and making money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    IIRC "free coasting" is illegal, per the Penndot motor vehicle code, probably the federal code as well.
    And? Your point would be what, exactly?

Driving's boring sometimes. Ya never done the hyper mileage thang? It's kinda fun.

What you "Daryl, Daryl, and my other brother Daryl" hicks doo in the back woods of "Vermont" is pretty much irrelevant to the OP, and 99% of the normal people here.
    Hot damn! We're one percenters, Don! Yeehaw!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. There are a lot of shops selling replacement turbos and making money.
    My daily only has 325k miles, thats American freedom miles too not KM's... I will also say the latest generation stuff seems to be worse than the older ones. You can tell they cheapened them up without a doubt. Wastegate rattle is the word of the day.