Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    The big issue that no one has addressed is replacement cost down the road. It will be thousands and no ordinary workshop will be able to rebuild these gearboxes because of all the special tools and equipment required. Add that to the common use of turbos on gasoline engines and you have a formula for a maintenance disaster. Turbos should be reserved for diesels not gasoline motors. Turbos last about 100,000 miles before a replacement is required on a diesel and much less on a gas motor because of both heat and throttle plate caused surge issues.
    100k miles lifetime for turbo is unusually bad even for gasoline engine.
    I'd expect to get average 200k miles out of gasoline engine turbo if its not some known bad design like Garret GT17. On diesels more than 250k and even 400k miles is not unheard.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    The big issue that no one has addressed is replacement cost down the road. It will be thousands and no ordinary workshop will be able to rebuild these gearboxes because of all the special tools and equipment required. Add that to the common use of turbos on gasoline engines and you have a formula for a maintenance disaster. Turbos should be reserved for diesels not gasoline motors. Turbos last about 100,000 miles before a replacement is required on a diesel and much less on a gas motor because of both heat and throttle plate caused surge issues.
    There will be plenty of shops tooled up to work on the 10 speed transmissions. My current diesel turbo is original and currently at 1,055,437 miles when I logged off this afternoon and my best friends 3.5 eccoboost is right at 190,000 trouble free miles. Iíll be buying one when I replace my current personal vehicle. You really donít have a clue as to what you are talking about.

3. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've just recently gotten a 2017 F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost and the 10 spd auto. It's a Supercrew with 6Ĺ' box. So far I like it a lot. Especially the nearly 20 MPG unloaded. MPG drops like a rock when towing a big load, but around town and with a bit of highway cruising, 20 mpg is pretty darn good for a gasser. The tow rating is 11,700 I believe, payload is 1,728.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I purchased a 18 f150 5.0 4x4 with the 10 speed tranny, one year in and I like it a lot.
    Towing a 6000lb bay boat or trailer full of hunting gear, you really donít know itís there. Almost reminds me of towing with my old diesel.
    A couple friends have the ecoboost and say that they get overheating issues towing heavy stuff in summer, I donít.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    I purchased a 18 f150 5.0 4x4 with the 10 speed tranny, one year in and I like it a lot.
    I have the same with 56,000 miles. It has been trouble free.