What's new
What's new

Looking for a place to purchase 14" Faceplates with T-Slots.

WHeydet

Plastic
Hello,

New to Practical Machinist Forums. My Name is Bill and I am out of Venice Fl. I am the Facility manager at an aerospace company down here. I hope this is the correct place to ask a question about equipment and tooling. If not I apologize in advance.

I am looking for some 14" flacplates that have t-slots in them. I'm trying to replace some old and well worn Nardini ones.
These have a D1-6 Camlock. They seem to be made a little lighter then others and a little easier on the back. Does anyone know where I might find anything like these?
Thanks.

I've only ever seen ''shop made'' either in house or subbed out, and have always made my own

I should imagine the cheapest and easiest way to get what you want, is get a chuck backplate to fit your spindle and mount a disc of CI** or steel to it and tee slot to the pattern you require.

Durabar is great if you can get the dia' you want ..................you can :) Dura-Bar Stock Sizes | Alternative Iron Bar Stock Sizes | Dura-Bar

ON EDIT

P.S. I re read the OP - don't go lightweight on faceplates, the guys using them will curse you for it, ..............I like to make em thick (on a 14'' plate 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 wouldn't be over doing it) then you not only have the mass and stability, you can set the tee slots really deep to allow for refacing / truings, ......because they will go out over time.

P.P.S. Re Thermites ''affordability'' if you have to go OEM etc it is REALLY GUNNA COST YA

Last edited:
Hello,

New to Practical Machinist Forums. My Name is Bill and I am out of Venice Fl. I am the Facility manager at an aerospace company down here. I hope this is the correct place to ask a question about equipment and tooling. If not I apologize in advance.

I am looking for some 14" flacplates that have t-slots in them. I'm trying to replace some old and well worn Nardini ones.
These have a D1-6 Camlock. They seem to be made a little lighter then others and a little easier on the back. Does anyone know where I might find anything like these?
Thanks.

"Affordably?" New camlock studs, stone the taper for burrs, check the fit, run a skim cut?

How "well worn" would they be THEN?

Otherwise.. faceplates simply aren't as common as once were. All the makers went-off chasing bigger bucks making pricey chucks for CNC spindles as will pay the price...

I'd scout Basque Country Spain, Brazil, India.

Also "affordably", MOST chucks OVER ten-inch are (also) Tee-Slotted. Just shed the jaws. You could find that cheaper and have the goods right away?

Otherwise... what Sami said.

JF fab yer own.. or farm it out.

I've got a shop-fab mounted on the D1-3 nose of one of the 10EE as we type.
No Tee-Slots though. I'll have to drill & tap it. Couldn't resist it as a "Mothership" for fixturing. Somebody fabbed it out of freaking ..... STAINLESS STEEL!

I'm actually good wit' dat! But ignorant A36 will do me just fine for the add-ons..

I'd not worry about milling Tee slots into Cast Iron unless I had a good FOUNDRY handy. And ....didn't already own both Monarch & Pratt-Burnerd conventional faceplates.

One can buy precut disks of steel - Blanchard ground already - all day long.
Buy the D1-6 backplate, build whatever fixturing you actually need as drilled and tapped bolt-ons?

You may not miss general-purpose, but almost NEVER exactly what you NEED ...Tee Slots atall.

2CW

You are probably going to have to purchase the face plate and the spindle adapter separately. It would be the greatest of luck to find the combination you want in one item unless you order it from a lathe manufacturer.

And speaking of lathe manufacturers, that would be the first place where I would look for a face plate of this size. And you used the plural so you want more than one.

I checked the MSC big book (catalogue), which I thought had everything for the machine shop, but they did not list any face plates. But you could call them: 800-645-7270

E-Bay is another place to look. You would be surprised at what you can find there. but most lathe face plates have plain slots, not tee slots. You can still use the tee nuts in them. Here are some of the hits I got there:

A 15 " with tee slots:

WARNER & SWASEY 15” Lathe Face Plate A2-8 Mount M-1677 | eBay
(There were two of these listed.)

Slots, but not tee slots:

Vintage LeBlond Lathe Slotted Face Plate 14" USED Machinist 1950s RKL | eBay

14" Diameter D1-6 Mount Lathe Face Plate 565-0314 | eBay

14" 8- Slot Lathe Face Plate, Mount (002 | eBay

There were many pages of face plates there.

Small Tools in Cleveland, Ohio, stocks chuck adapters in all sorts of sizes. The one's I've bought from them were thick enough to put tee slots in them if needed. Personally, I would drill and tap holes as needed for studs and such. The last time I used a face plate, I bolted the fixture to the plate with socket head cap screws. To me tee slots are never in the place where you need them.
Ken

Years ago I bought a burnout from a scrapyard. I mounted it to a D1-6 backplate and cleaned up the face and OD, then to the mill to do the t-slots. The cash outlay was minimal but there was a lot of machine time to complete it.

Big face plates with T-slots are not uncommon. Some have four T-slots and four through slots for extra fastening possibilities.

14” D1-6 Mount Metal Lathe Face Plate T-slots Clausing Leblond Southbend Monarch | eBay

Hardinge makes face plates with four T-slots plus a number of tapped holes and also makes a little angle plate that fits the T-slot. But they are only made in 7 and 9 inch diameter. The original Monarch 10EE 11 inch face plate has four T-slots. There are several on eBay now.

Larry

I have several lighter tee slot plates, they belong to a Jones and shipman cylinder grinder, screw not D mount, however a grinder plate may be an option
Mark

Back