What's new
What's new

OT- the little condescending names

John in CA

Hot Rolled
This kind of goes along with the cranky old machinist thread, but I find it to be a common problem among tradesmen in general of all ages.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but it's a real sore spot with me. I don't run into it very often anymore, but I did as a younger guy in my twenties.

Slick. Sport. Champ. Chief. Ace. Tiger. Slugger. Hot Rod. Killer. Big Guy.

You know, those vaguely condescending names that guys use to subtly convey the message
"I don't think much of you", usually for no better reason than you're the new guy in the shop or you're younger than they are. And the genius of it is that if you say anything about it, all of a sudden you're a touchy prick and they were just pallin' around with you. Maybe I am a touchy prick, but I'd almost be less offended if someone came up and kicked me in the nuts than if they called me one of these. We have a vendor who has a bad habit of this. He'll walk around the shop, stopping to chat at each station. Yesterday he came over while I was hand tapping some holes in a die shoe. "Whattaya got goin on there, slick?"
Unable to stuff it any longer, I shot back "Take a wild stab at it, there, sport. What the hell's it look like?" Apparently he didn't like it any more than I do, because he walked off in a huff.

Am I completely alone here or does anyone else share this pet peeve?

I've got a friend that really hates to be called "Bud." I somewhat understand, but usually, those diminutive monikers from your list roll off me. However, it is a situational thing. They don't always. I also recognize the built-in "gotcha" if you say anything about it. That seems to be the trick: Disown any offense given if any should be taken, thus leaving the offended holding the bag.

Well, a lot of times people don't mean anything by it.

They just think it sounds cool, and say it because they don't put any thought into what you think of it. I'm especially fed up with "big guy" or "big man"! Thank you captain obvious, I'm 6'3" and weigh over 300 lbs, so, that gets on my nerves. I usually tend to treat people badly when they get on my nerves like that, and they often don't get why. You know the type, they haven't got a clue what you're doing, think they're god's gift to EVERYBODY, ask a bunch of stupid questions while picking up things and screwing with them. Then there's the type that think they know it all, are skilled at what they do, and treat you with a similar lack of respect. I find both types equally obnoxious, and generally try to avoid them. Some people do understand why that's obnoxious, and to it on purpose. Those are the ones I really hate. Deliberately condescending, totally rude, completely self centered, DILDOIDS. Nothing gives a sense of satisfaction like when you get the chance to treat them as you'd like. When they need help, or screw something up, or want to pick your brain, and you get to put them in their place.

Let it roll off without taking offense. Sounds like people don't know what to say and use these names to make small talk! As an operating engineer I've been called every name under the sun by the immigrant laborers in the hole, in spanish, portugese, and italian, among others I can't recall. Who cares what they say! Your doing something they obviously can't. If they don't like what you say back, great! It 's less BS you have to deal with! Just my .02c

I don't know, guys. In some cases, names like that are used as terms of endearment. For instance, if you've been working with someone for a while and he starts to call you Big Guy, it doesn't necessarily mean he thinks you're a "BIG" guy. It may just mean that that person is now comfortable enough with you as a co-worker or friend to give that term of endearment to you.

Usually, if you're not comfortable with this new found moniker, you can tell that person that you dislike being called names and that you prefer to be called by your given name. Nine times out of ten, they'll stop with the "pet" name. I know this through experience. Just don't be a arse when you tell them to stop, that'll just cause more problems.

None of those names bother me, unless I know the guy is TRYING to be a condescending jerk. It may be that he's just an ignorant, benign lout. In which case I just pay as much attention to him as he did to remembering my name. The Hare Krishna at the airport scenario.

But your response is probably not unusual. Shows the value of someone respecting you enough to remember your name and saying "Hi John, nice to see you again".

Jim

You have a point with those names.

My best friends refer to eachother as Ballsack, Nutbutter, Crackpot, Jackhole, Poo nugget, and when someone's being sensitive, "Don't be such a vagina."

Now that's love.

Once I had a co-worker, senior to me at the job, but WAY my junior in age start that crap about whistiling when he wanted to show me something or ask me about something I had done.
Told him several times I wasn't a damn dog, so don't whistle for me. He did it again and I walked over, bent down and picked his foot up off the floor and bit him on the leg. Then I said "Whistle at me like I'm a dog, and you'll get bit like I'm a dog". He never whistled again.
Dave

It's fine when they mean it as a friendly moniker.

They just stop when asked, and everything is OK after that. The PROBLEM are those that say it like they are being freindly, but you get that hint of sarcasm in it. You say something and they pretend like they had no idea why it bothers you. That's what John was talking about when they turn it around so you're a "touchy prick". The only thing I've found when somebody is using this method of insulting you is to become a total dickhead so they leave you alone. If they really don't get why, they'll ask somebody that's figured it out, and make an effort to turn it around. If they're just doing it to be a dick, they leave you alone. That way you can determine if somebody is going to try to turn it around when you say something.

Once I had a co-worker, senior to me at the job, but WAY my junior in age start that crap about whistiling when he wanted to show me something or ask me about something I had done.
Told him several times I wasn't a damn dog, so don't whistle for me. He did it again and I walked over, bent down and picked his foot up off the floor and bit him on the leg. Then I said "Whistle at me like I'm a dog, and you'll get bit like I'm a dog". He never whistled again.
Dave
I half expected you to say that you urinated on his leg. :D

Good grief - what a putz... :rolleyes:

I was "Mo" from before I could remember. I have no idear where that came from. I seemed to had outgrown it by the time I was outta skewl I guess. ???

I use "Buckwheat" all the time to a few people or any younger kid I guess. ??? I don't think kicking them sqr in the nuts is exactly what I had intended. ???

--------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

JunkyardJ nailed it- when they're doing it to insult you, you can definitely feel it, but you can't prove it. I can also take the point of others in that it is a situational thing. FGor example, I worked with one guy who called absolutely everybody "chief", including people I know he respected, so I thought nothing about it from him. His cell phone rang on a drive to a job one day, he checked the number and said," it's my girlfriend". Answered the phone, "what's up, chief?" I laughed til I cried.

Dead on point too was the post about "asshole" or "nutbutter" being far preferable. With these you know they're kidding around, or if they're not, at least they're not being disingenuous.

Perhaps some do it because they think it sounds cool, or to make small talk. You know what's funny? I don't encounter nearly as much of it since 2 things happened.
1. I turned thirty
2. I grew a mustache.

What is it about a mustache that overnight makes people take you twice as seriously? Maybe that's why cops all have em.

Back