What's new
What's new

OT- Look at life 1960's Scrambling

As mentioned in the film, these were , for the amateur riders at least , converted road bikes. Many of them ridden to the event and rode home after.

A friend was telling me of his first meeting with the above British champ Dave Bickers.

Clive* had ridden his bike to the event , competed in one scramble , crashed** and wrecked his bike . As the event drew to a close Clive was left in the pits wondering what to do next , when Dave drives by, stops, and asks "Hoe you gettin' hum boy?" in his best Suffolk accent . "Dunnow" says Clive , "wait here" replays Dave and drives off back to Coddenham.

The best part of an hour later Dave returns with a now empty van , and drives Clive and bike back to Colchester (some 50 miles or more out of Dave's way) . An act of friendship that lasted a life time.

Bill

* Clive Noy went on to make and sell his own grass-track bikes and rode speedway for Ipswich Witches, He worked with Dave in the film industry. It was Clive that introduce my brother, and latterly me, to Dave and the film world.

**Any one who knows Clive will not be surprised at this :-)

Attached: DB(middle) relaxing on set ;-) and Clive with broken leg !

Attachments

• clive noy with speedway team.jpg
    clive noy with speedway team.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DB.jpg
    DB.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 136

Back