What's new
What's new

OT : Looking for a basic, Functional, Vacuum Venturi Design

TheBigLebowski

Aluminum
Does anybody have a basic but functional design for a vacuum venturi they would be willing to share?

I want to build a vacuum vise for my surface grinder any make the venturi integral, rather than having it hooked up separately.

I just figured I would ask on here before buying one and pulling it apart.

Venturi s run by compressed air make a lot of noise......like ************ and earplug combined noise....run by water is quieter ,but problematic......i suggest a vane pump ,like a Alfa Laval or Broom Wade.

Buy one of the aluminum block style units from McMaster Carr. Look it over carefully and return it in re-sell-able condition. I'd say you simply need a hole clean through your block with 1/4" pipe threads both ends. You make a small nozzle body with a cone shaped end and very small orifice that screws into one end for the air. The vacuum intake is a right angle hole about centered on the end of the cone nozzle. Maybe use a straight pipe thread with a locknut so the position of the cone can be adjusted for best performance. The thread on the other end is for the muffler, or to use the air again for cooling, misting or blowoff if you leave it wide open.

Get on eBay and look up piab they make vacuum generators I think you can buy one easier then making one
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Venturi s run by compressed air make a lot of noise......like ************ and earplug combined noise....run by water is quieter ,but problematic......i suggest a vane pump ,like a Alfa Laval or Broom Wade.

Not sure what type of air driven venturis your referring too, but PIAB and SMC vacuum generators don't make a lot of noise, at least not enough to warrant ear protection, at least not in my experience.

The machine and the machining will make noise than the vacuum generators.

Are you really that cheap? Buy an aluminum body venturi from McMaster and mill the top half off. You will be able to see exactly what the inside looks like. There are a whole lot of things that make it work. Easy to make one, but not so easy to get 27" out of one efficiently. I make thousands of them and get 27" on just .4 cfm. I also make some that use a whole lot more air and "pump" much greater volume. Another one I make pulls only 3". 3" does not sound like a lot but in that application the surface area is about 400 sq in. 600 lbs pull.
At that size there are very tiny holes inside and the slightest burr will F it up. The ones I make are .625 dia and pressed into the chuck. Some connect to compressed air at the end, others at the side.
Air supply needs to be clean and with the nozzle opening at .016 the slightest piece of crap will foul it. You will also prob need to make your own tooling to get the tapers you want.

venturi vacuum generators are "expensive" to run, they waste a lot of water or air, for a chuck it would make much more sense to have a diaphragm pump (or couple in series for deeper vacuum) and run a vacuum line to the chuck, vane pumps with oil will need servicing (oil changes) if there is a lot of moisture, diaphragm ones are easier to run in that regard and are generally cheaper to buy, even couple small 12V ones will do just fine if there aren't any major leaks between the part and the chuck

Back