What's new
What's new

OT Machinist Pants

Received this from a friend this morning, BLACK DIAMOND Men's Machinist Pants - Eastern Mountain Sports , I don't plan to run out and buy a pair, but wonder if "machinist" might be a new fashion buzzword, or perhaps it means something to rock climbers.
my company buys pants with 2 layer zippered at knees so can put in knee protectors if wanted. has above knee pockets (like cargo pants) for small tools (4" caliper) and or phone and side pocket for pencils
also material is plastic ? maybe polyester as when cotton and you kneel on wet (coolant) the plastic absorbs less and dries quicker
i kind of like the extra knee layer and stays dryer material and the extra pockets i carry stuff like pencil and paper, phone, 4" digital caliper. now 4" digital caliper i mostly use for checking drill bits and where i want a rough +/-.002" measurements. it saves quite a lot the using wrong drill bit problem

With the reinforced knee and oversized pockets, I'd buy a pair for hiking and camping - but I have no idea why they are "machinist" pants.

I'm pretty familiar with hiking/camping/backpacking territory but haven't heard of "machinist" in that realm until today. But, given the description I found elsewhere while price shopping, it seems to be actual-machinist:

"The Black Diamond Machinist Pant is ideal whether you day takes you climbing your favorite route, or to the workshop for an impromptu project. These pants feature a durable reinforced cotton/nylon canvas that handles the abuse of both climbing and life in the shop."

It's not hiker-code for something else.

I got slip-on knee pads that go over the pants. I like the extra sewn layer on the knee for dirt/gravel/mud. For shop work, if I need knee reinforcement, I want the knee pad, not one more layer of cloth.

Meh. It's not $90 cool, either. I'll stick with Carhartt 'carpenter' pants for now. I'm no carpenter though, I just like the pockets :)

ETA:
The one thing it has that's nice for some shops is the 'internal belt' - no belt buckle to ding or scratch things accidentally. I know there are special belts for that purpose (or some types of suspenders) but being integral to the pants could be nice for some, I suppose.

Oakley sunglasses has a new line of "machinist" glasses, but they don't look any different than what they already sell.

Probably just like the OP said. A fashion buzzword.

for me the pants that are not 100% cotton is better. i work on big machines and fell once on the 8 by 14 foot table and got my whole leg covered in coolant.
plastic hard to get wet and faster drying are better for machinist in my experience. i also like the extra pants pockets. basically shirt i wear now has no shirt pocket. nothing to fall out of a shirt pocket and cause any problems like 6" ruler scale or pencils

Hopefully Machinist socks, underwear, neckties,open toed sandals etc will soon be available.

"Re enforced knees"......must be for the young management wanna-be. :Yawn:
$99......shit, thats what the combined total of my wardrobe is worth (excluding hunting clothes, work boots and my "funeral" suit)

I work with a few machinist that need extra reinforcement down around the knee area on their britches. Some actually need the pads. The rest of us get along just fine with regular jeans off the shelf.

Brent

Back