OT - massive explosion at Lebanon port
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    9,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2309
    Likes (Received)
    6927

    Default OT - massive explosion at Lebanon port

    Middle East Lebanon, not New Hampshire...

    Dramatic footage of the explosion at a warehouse in the port area, one report claims it was unsafely stored fireworks that caused the blast.

    Powerful Explosion Occurs Near Beirut's Port - YouTube

    So far there's statements about injuries due to flying glass, but unfortunately I'm sure there'll be some fatalities too.

    Videos show moment of massive blast in Beirut, Lebanon - CNN Video

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    6,417
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    924
    Likes (Received)
    3275

    Default

    Probably just someone finishing the construction of a new building. Beirut has some very strict zoning laws that require any new building to look just like everything else around it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    297
    Likes (Received)
    73

    Default

    Someone is under investigation and needs to have the focus taken off him.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    5,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    941
    Likes (Received)
    2167

    Default

    That shockwave was nuts. I sincerely hope it was just fireworks.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    20,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15636
    Likes (Received)
    16027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Probably just someone finishing the construction of a new building. Beirut has some very strict zoning laws that require any new building to look just like everything else around it.
    Very subtle, ...I like it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    4,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1439
    Likes (Received)
    1717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    That shockwave was nuts. I sincerely hope it was just fireworks.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    From all the videos I've seen of it, I have an extremely hard time believing it was fireworks...

  7. Likes greggv liked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    14,069
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2518
    Likes (Received)
    3785

    Default

    Somehow "Fireworks Warehouse" and Beirut clash in my mind...

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    5,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    941
    Likes (Received)
    2167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    From all the videos I've seen of it, I have an extremely hard time believing it was fireworks...
    Me too, just too intense.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    901
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    101
    Likes (Received)
    250

    Default

    There was a shit ton of Ammonium Nitrate stored in the warehouse there since 2014 apparently, says the latest news.
    Edit: The shit ton turns out to be 2,750 tonnes of it to be precise.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    815
    Likes (Received)
    1259

    Default

    It's the Middle East, after all.

    Stuff blows up without warning there......

    Israel
    Hamas
    ISIS
    Muslim Brotherhood
    Taliban
    Al Qaeda
    PLO
    Am I missing any..??

    Oh, and none of them get along with each other........


  12. Likes digger doug liked this post
  13. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    8,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1318
    Likes (Received)
    2970

    Default

    High velocity explosion, certainly not "black powder."

    Ammonium Nitrate is an oxidizer, it needs fuel
    Talk To Timmy for details.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    10,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2857
    Likes (Received)
    6707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Neill View Post
    There was a shit ton of Ammonium Nitrate stored in the warehouse there since 2014 apparently, says the latest news.
    Edit: The shit ton turns out to be 2,750 tonnes of it to be precise.
    That'l make a bang!

  15. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    20,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15636
    Likes (Received)
    16027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Neill View Post
    There was a shit ton of Ammonium Nitrate stored in the warehouse there since 2014 apparently, says the latest news.
    Edit: The shit ton turns out to be 2,750 tonnes of it to be precise.
    That's what I saw on the BBC, ....straight out of the old IRA cookbook.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    10,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2857
    Likes (Received)
    6707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    High velocity explosion, certainly not "black powder."

    Ammonium Nitrate is an oxidizer, it needs fuel
    Solid ammonium nitrate decomposes into nitrous oxide and water vapor if it comes into contact with flame. A self sustaining decomposition occurs. Big bang will result. The Texas City disaster in 1947 is another example.

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    5,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    941
    Likes (Received)
    2167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    High velocity explosion, certainly not "black powder."

    Ammonium Nitrate is an oxidizer, it needs fuel
    Talk To Timmy for details.
    I remember that, I felt it in my 3rd grade classroom.



    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    10,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2857
    Likes (Received)
    6707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    I remember that, I felt it in my 3rd grade classroom.



    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    That was Nitromethane, he bought it at the drag strip. Much harder to buy now.

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    5,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    941
    Likes (Received)
    2167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    That was Nitromethane, he bought it at the drag strip. Much harder to buy now.
    Was referencing the ammonium nitrate. I was thinking the fuel was diesel?

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  21. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    5,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    189
    Likes (Received)
    1865

    Default

    Not all that subtle. I got it right away.



    Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Very subtle, ...I like it.

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    5,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    189
    Likes (Received)
    1865

    Default

    Any missing?

    Yes, stupidity!



    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    It's the Middle East, after all.

    Stuff blows up without warning there......

    Israel
    Hamas
    ISIS
    Muslim Brotherhood
    Taliban
    Al Qaeda
    PLO
    Am I missing any..??

    Oh, and none of them get along with each other........


  23. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
  24. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    20,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15636
    Likes (Received)
    16027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    Not all that subtle. I got it right away.
    I'm so pleased for you.

  25. Likes triumph406, gregormarwick liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •