Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Guess somebody had to.

Not a lot wrong with a Cessna that couldn't be fixed by yanking the certs and starting with a blank sheet of paper.

I never flew a 210 but I can tell you that most of the nonsense you hear about Cessna 195s is from people who never flew one.

Bill

2. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by medsar View Post

Pressure Breathing — that’s not how it works. It will not increase O2 sats.
    How does it work? I'm not an MD and do not claim to be one, but I can testify from vivid personal experience that when your chest is on fire and pressure breathing relieves the pain, it is doing something.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Thanks for everyone's concern, I am feeling better now, still tired but the oxy meter is reading 84 now.
    A friend who had a few patients with Covid and low oxygen mentioned a few months ago they lean the patients forward a bit as it helps to better oxygenate the lungs.

Accuracy of the meter is certainly important, too much oxygen has its problems too.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    ... too much oxygen has its problems too.
    Especially if you are locked in a space capsule

6. Likes boslab, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what my supplier told me years ago the only difference is the Valve industrial Brass, medical chrome over brass.
    The bottles were filled side by side on the cascade system from bulk in yard.
    I don't think any diff between two.

8. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    How does it work? I'm not an MD and do not claim to be one, but I can testify from vivid personal experience that when your chest is on fire and pressure breathing relieves the pain, it is doing something.

Bill

I would be happy to help out where I can. I'm going to try not to go into a ton of detail so the explanation doesn't get incredibly long. If you want more detail, I'm happy to go into the more exhaustive explanation.

Pressure Breathing as I was taught was forceful exhalation against pursed lips. Folks say the increased pressure in the lungs forces more O2 into the blood. What it actually does is create PEEP (positive end-expiratory pressure). The pursed lips forms an obstruction that limits the flow of air from the lungs. The back pressure in the lungs will prevent the alveoli in the lungs from collapsing. Alveoli are the small sacks in the lungs that actually participate in gas exchange. A significant percentage of these alveoli close during exhalation (especially forceful exhalation). Now, the alveoli will collapse anyway during a purse-lipped breathing if you want until all of your breath is exhaled before breathing again. However, with the increased expiratory time (time spent exhaling), you will likely take a breath a little earlier when there is still some air in the lungs. And this creates true PEEP or auto-PEEP. This will make the alveoli stay open during expiration and be open during inspiration (not all of your alveoli are open in every breath....try it -- do a 'sigh' and see how much more breath you get in).
    What does this do? Non-exercise version -- If you take a deep breath and start pressure breathing, more of your alveoli will be open and have the opportunity to participate in gas exchange. The partial pressure of O2 does not change, but the oxygen content in the blood changes.
    For exercise, high-altitude -- you are already taking deep breaths and forcefully exhaling. The forceful exhale causes the alveoli to close and pressure breathing keeps that from happening. It also increases the expiratory time and decreases the respiratory rate which will combat the respiratory alkalosis caused at high altitude exercise. This combats AMS, etc etc.

The short version is that it can help you generate PEEP that can lead to better VQ matching (more alveoli can participate in gas exchange).
    Last edited by medsar; 12-26-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: made a mistake, edited within seconds of posting

10. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill
    Oh and please forgive me if I implied it doesn't work. My apologies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of other points:

1. Medical Oxygen is a prescription drug in many places. In California, you can get a medical O2 cylinder filled for "emergency use" without one. Not all shops will do this, so start by calling some dive shops and asking who will fill O2. Many people carry Oxygen on their boats when diving offshore, as it's the first line treatment for decompression sickness or an air embolism. I have also been able to get it with my EMT card before.

2. A lot of welding shops used to fill medical bottles over the counter. In our state, a lot of them stopped after the state required them to be on-call 24/7.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would be happy to help out where I can. I'm going to try not to go into a ton of detail so the explanation doesn't get incredibly long. If you want more detail, I'm happy to go into the more exhaustive explanation.

Pressure Breathing as I was taught was forceful exhalation against pursed lips. Folks say the increased pressure in the lungs forces more O2 into the blood. What it actually does is create PEEP (positive end-expiratory pressure). The pursed lips forms an obstruction that limits the flow of air from the lungs. The back pressure in the lungs will prevent the alveoli in the lungs from collapsing. Alveoli are the small sacks in the lungs that actually participate in gas exchange. A significant percentage of these alveoli close during exhalation (especially forceful exhalation). Now, the alveoli will collapse anyway during a purse-lipped breathing if you want until all of your breath is exhaled before breathing again. However, with the increased expiratory time (time spent exhaling), you will likely take a breath a little earlier when there is still some air in the lungs. And this creates true PEEP or auto-PEEP. This will make the alveoli stay open during expiration and be open during inspiration (not all of your alveoli are open in every breath....try it -- do a 'sigh' and see how much more breath you get in).
    What does this do? Non-exercise version -- If you take a deep breath and start pressure breathing, more of your alveoli will be open and have the opportunity to participate in gas exchange. The partial pressure of O2 does not change, but the oxygen content in the blood changes.
    For exercise, high-altitude -- you are already taking deep breaths and forcefully exhaling. The forceful exhale causes the alveoli to close and pressure breathing keeps that from happening. It also increases the expiratory time and decreases the respiratory rate which will combat the respiratory alkalosis caused at high altitude exercise. This combats AMS, etc etc.

The short version is that it can help you generate PEEP that can lead to better VQ matching (more alveoli can participate in gas exchange).
    Presuemably Pressure Breathing would work for somebody (my mother) who has Bronchiectasis?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh and please forgive me if I implied it doesn't work. My apologies.
    LOL!

Well before you explained (rather well, thank you!) ... WHY it works..?

I WAS "pressure breathing" to get my five-packs a day of smokes fossiled ass up to velocity to jump though your ass .... carrying a pair of combat-grade flamethrowers, at full-gallop .... but yes,

.. the POINT is it DOES HELP... And that has been WELL proven by "many".

....and probably has been useful to air-breathers since before we were recognizably HUMAN?

...partly because a needy entity doesn't need ANY hardware nor gases that aren't already where they need to be to "JFDI."

As-in Combat-vet Dad teaching it to me as a small kid climbing the stairs inside the Washington Monument...

...or a lard-ass Old Fart a thousand years later (or so it seemed on the day) doing the 900-odd stair steps to the roof of the "Duomo di Milano".....Rotterhorn, Zugspitz, Jungfrauhoch.... Mt. Borneo.."etc".

And then there were China's high places...

Got an ageless hard-corp athlete of a wife to keep up with?

WTH.. her MUM is still power-walking in her 90's every other day!

So yah pressure breath!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Presuemably Pressure Breathing would work for somebody (my mother) who has Bronchiectasis?
    Using modified pressure breathing to keep airways stented open is an integral part of the acapella/oscPEP/etc treatments for bronchiectasis. However, my understanding is that the oscillations are breaking up the mucous and the pressure breathing/PEEP is augmenting the process. I don't see how pressure breathing without chest physio or acapella or whatnot would provide benefit.

Pressure breathing is more for COPD, but modified to be simply pursed lip breathing. i.e. similar actions, but the mechanism as to how and why it works is different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's stupid to wait at home when you feel that bad. Your Trumpcare never materialized, just like he has disappeared into the mist.

The Trumprona is going to kill you.

Watch this video... https://youtu.be/4J0d59dd-qM .... a succint explanation into why you better go to the hospital.

I've got a close friend who could be your twin, Moonlight~ big Obama hater and Trump lover~ wouldn't wear a mask, got sick and wouldn't go to the doctor for the same reason you list~~ money. He sat around with his drinking buddies at the VFW and infected a bunch of them...as we continually harangued him to go the fucking hospital...always with the "money" excuse.

Well, that dumbass is going to die. Your/his body is killing itself with the lack of oxygen causing a cascading deterioration of it's organs.

Too bad he/you listened to Trump instead of reason.

17. Likes Rudd, vegard liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine;
    ]Not afraid of the ER, just not ready to spend 10,000 a day yet. Since obumer no care canceled my catastrophic insurance plan I have had no insurance.
    just nuts man, what the hell? you are too invested in blaming Obama to go to the ER? too invested in the bullshit it's only the flu???? Obama made mistakes, but the simple fact is millions of Americans now have insurance who didn't, despite GOP attempts to reverse Obamacare.

you obviously weren't getting accurate blood O2 readings, because 77% and without intubation, you would be dead. that said, if you have been needing O2 4 times a day and have never been so tired, GET TO THE FUCKING ER!!! not dead and dealing with some bills sounds like a better deal.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fuck 'em, Moonlight! It's a trap!!!

Stay home. Get well on yer own!

The election-theiving looter-lie-bore-all fuckwits who just piled-on?

Simply want their organized crime health scare system to harvest the last of your assets, then see you off to the grave.

So they can vote your name TWICE OVER for more of their G-damned Marxist lies next go.

One of those two lying parasites tells you the time of day?

Don't even bother checking your watch!

It WILL be another one of their looter-lies.

20. Likes JoeE., steve-l, DrHook, 1yesca liked this post
    Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fuck 'em, Moonlight! It's a trap!!!

Stay home. Get well on yer own!
    You really are crazy .... so when the Times prints sanctimonious articles about how totalitarian China censors social media, I read your crap and understand exactly why.

22. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might be a better be to see if you can get the vaccine....but first you need to know if it works when you are already infected!
    I would go for the Phizer one, i see a bit of bullshit being said up the astra zenca one from the maker who is in the UK.

check to see if its available it may keep the cost down for you if you do decide to visit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    You really are crazy .... so when the Times prints sanctimonious articles about how totalitarian China censors social media, I read your crap and understand exactly why.
    Just because your Emperor bought his puppet an election doesn't mean you won't have to take the criticism for doing the dirty and getting caught.

Gonna be a seriously INTERESTING Bidenista & Empress Dowager "illegitama-regency", four years coming and still won't be done with the "payback".

Y'all f**ked up.

Missed the point that "fake news" was PROVEN to be fake.

Missed that the outright whores of the FakeNews have ALREADY begun to seek blood out of Bidenshitsa scandals for lack of any easier meat to sell their advertising. Wait until there is more blood in the water, see how nasty they are when he becomes the main course of their meal-ticket, DJT YESTERYEAR's news.

Missed the point that treasonous "high tech" got caught-out, too. And will be put-DOWN with lawsuits. BIG and NUMEROUS as they are costly!

Missed the effect that nearly 300 originalist Judges have been installed.

Missed the effect that Grim Reaper McConnell and Career prosecutor Graham got six year reelection terms locked in, minimum.

Missed the point that Dumbasscraptics were so egregiously anti-citizen in the House they'll almost certain lose the house in two years.

Missed the point that Robert Hunter Biden was too arrogant-STUPID and too f**ked-up on drugs and hoors to burn his laptops instead of letting them get into FBI hands, newspapers, and Grand Jury eyeshot.

"Smartest man I know" from Quid-pro-Beijing-Joe might be the only TRUE statement he has made in his entire sad life. Ain't it a damned shame he don't know better folks than Hunter-the-f**k-up?

Missed the point that career civil servants ALWAYS fill their deeply redundant archives with CYA paper trails, regardless of political affiliation either, neither, or both. And that their files have already gotten out.

Quid-Pro-Beijing-Joe's troubles are just starting. And he ain't even sworn-in, yet.

Emperor Xi LOVES it.. he didn't have the spare TIME to "operate" the USA. Just wanted to make sure nobody ELSE the least bit competent could run it EITHER.

He DID get HIS wish.

So that means you got YOUR wish to see the USA you hate go into decline as well.

But the Yew Ass of Eh? Doesn't HAVE Xi's censorship. The thievery WILL "out" and it IS getting seen!

Save yer Renminbi. Stock the larder at your flat in China.

There will be invoices presented for settlement for all that Bu Ci in due course.

"Interesting times" indeed!

Under one month to lift-off, the Beijing-Bidenista shit-show!

Y'all GOT the "bed" you wanted.

Surely you don't expect to be allowed to SLEEP on all them damned NAILS now, do yah?

25. Likes Newman109, Trueturning, DrHook, 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Street View Post
    Might be a better be to see if you can get the vaccine....but first you need to know if it works when you are already infected!
    I would go for the Phizer one, i see a bit of bullshit being said up the astra zenca one from the maker who is in the UK.

check to see if its available it may keep the cost down for you if you do decide to visit.

The two approved ones are Pfizer and Moderna. AZ effed up the dosing (which they also did with their Crestor tests back in the day). This has delayed approval of the AZ vaccine (which could be superior). But its almost certain you won't be able to choose which one you get (I guess could refuse and go to the back of the line).

But the good news is that both seem to have good efficacy. There are very rare anaphalactic reactions which can be handled by epipen and antihistamines. Again, very rare.

I'll get a vaccine as soon as my turn in line comes up, and will take either.

27. Likes Rudd liked this post
    Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

more pointless, senseless frothing ...
    Moonlight, the biggest improvement in covid treatment has been from earlier, less drastic intervention. If you wait, mortality is still the same as it was a year ago.

That's not a wise choice.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never flew a 210 but I can tell you that most of the nonsense you hear about Cessna 195s is from people who never flew one.

Bill
    High wing + round engine + tailwheel.. Cessna was still an aircraft.

ELSE actively pilot-hostile.

They were only tolerated by habituated folks who had done their primary in them, moved up in performance, never flew any of the BETTER aircraft, read "nearly ANY and ALL others".

How hard is that?