Ot--mice in the water well - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might want to tell that to my cats, especially the females (spayed of course) that i see far afield hunting even though the barn always has a full pan of cat chow. Methinks a cat kills because it just plain likes it.....a lot.........Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of my cats, found as a stray kitten surviving on bugs, kills and eats just about everything she can, and still wants food at night. Her retarded child spends the day in the park staring at gopher holes, I've only seen him catch 1, it fought back, I had to kill it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps a well charged electric grid surrounding the well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw a lot of good info here about sealing the well casing and surrounding well bore. If someone has gotten some small animals in the well before doing this maybe "jetting" the well using compressed air and diverting the flow away from the area for a day or so would help flush out any organic pollution. On our irrigation well we ran a large diesel air compressor for a week on the well to flush out the sand, filled up the neighbor's cow tank in and scoured the crude oil residue from the casing in the process. We used the water from the same well for our drinking water for many years after that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

With the OP's well location "in a cornfield" and the stated location of "Kansas" I would be more
    worried about chemicals:
    YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My well guy recommends shocking the well with sodium hypochlorite once a year. Definitely a good idea if you suspect any sort of biological contamination. Get the real stuff from a pool supply.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bait poison has a problem - it attracts more rodents, leading to you buying more product. Repeat. And when mice eat poison and get in the well?

Hardware cloth, firmly attached, is good protection. Stainless steel pot scrubbers are pretty good at plugging holes quick, if you cannot otherwise seal them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Applying pesticide/herbicide near a well or any body of water is a violation of federal law.

If you apply pesticide in a manner that is not in exacting compliance with what is on the label you are open for one hell of a fucking.

I have a neighboring farm that likes to use untrained sprayers. I know the laws pretty good now and the department of agriculture has made sure the farm does too, at their expense. And I have no problem with this.

The world be a much better place if human beings had half a clue what pesticides do to the environment.

Phthalate - Wikipedia

Hormone - Wikipedia

Stop and think for a minute about the relationship between those two things, do some research into that relationship and then look at where the money goes and who stands to lose the most.

9. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1. Set up some traps with bait but be sure not to arm them .

2. Replenish bait daily for 7 days

3. On the 8th day bait and arm all traps …..

Continue this routine as needed