What's new
What's new

OT - more CA diesel emissions dumbness that escapes me

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSY

Diamond
My friend is looking at diesel trucks - big trucks - and mentioned that they are no longer legal in California. Huh?

Well, apparently, they legislated that ANY diesel built prior to 2009 (or some year) can no longer be operated in CA.

So in 2015 poor Juan scrapes up enough money to finally buy his dream - a used truck that will allow him to make a living - only to be told he can own it all he wants, he just can't use it.

My question is...is this for real??

Here's an example taken from the internet:

2008 Ford F-650 SD Service Truck w/Backhoe
Service Truck w/Backhoe - 35,200 miles - DRW, BRADCO backhoe attachment, Phenix 14' service body, Boss air compressor, 2 outriggers, CUMMINS ISB 260 Diesel eng s/n: 57819732, Allison A/T, air brakes - **CAN'T BE REGISTERE/OPERATED IN CA**

Yes it’s for real. If you own a diesel in CA you’re screwed. I think it’s older than 2010 can no longer be registered. Not sure about operated. This applies to trucks over 15,000 GVWR I believe, not pickup trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in 2015 poor Juan scrapes up enough money to finally buy his dream - a used truck that will allow him to make a living - only to be told he can own it all he wants, he just can't use it.

My question is...is this for real??
Yes, and I think it's disgusting. What about the poor guy who bought 200 tons of asbestos, what's he going to do with it now ? And the whole DDT industry, who's thinking about them ? Does anyone care about the poor Mexican who bought 80 cases of Thalidomide tablets wholesale, and now he's stuck with them ? What about poor Chisso, being run out of Minamata, anyone give a crap about them ?

You're right, California is absolutely insane with these bans :(

See, that's a good example of how you have no sense of perspective. The inability to see the difference between asbestos and Thalidomide and a modern, low emissions vehicle that sees hardly any use anyway. It's the cancer that's killing our country far faster than diesel emissions - that's for sure.

And what of the poor? What of the migrant dreamer? All of a sudden he's being trampled on by the liberals....turns out his wet ass isn't so important anymore.

So back to our regular programming...stupidity and Draconian measures of Cali and how they foster new levels of retardation nationwide. We've heard from our resident expert on the matter....

See, that's a good example of how you have no sense of perspective. The inability to see the difference between asbestos and Thalidomide and a modern, low emissions vehicle that sees hardly any use anyway. It's the cancer that's killing our country far faster than diesel emissions - that's for sure.

A pre-2009 truck is not guaranteed to be a modern low emmisions vehicle.

The rules weren't fully enforced until 2010.

for once I agree with that move, diesels should have stayed where they can run at narrow optimal rpm range to reduce pollution, the whole principle of operation is one big pollution factory - it has to run rich to accelerate (hence all the filtering etc), and when you lean in out to make it economic and make it run better via higher compression - the NOx skyrockets, and NOx is a bigger problem than CO2 or PM

had there been no diesel popularity wave due to shady (criminal) auto manufacturer designs, we probably would have transitioned to electric a decade sooner

the funny thing though is that they ban older generation diesels, ok, they create particulate particle pollution, but they don't make nearly as much NOx... but then again - you have to start somewhere...

China is fucking the world.

Leave the diesels and get China to stop fucking the planet by 5% and you’ll see a carbon reduction far beyond removing EVERY SINGLE diesel truck in America.

God fuck all the regulations I’m sick of seeing this bullshit. We’re fucking sinking in the osha(n) here.

You want to see growth and production like we had in the 40-50 then stop letting Chinaman fuck us. Ban most import from China, ban most Chinese products in the American economy.

Leave building hammers n hand tools to Americans for Americans.

This place would be paradise

And Emanuelgoldstine is a crock of shit who knows nothing but how to moan like a woman and complain about everything like he’s fixing something

had there been no diesel popularity wave due to shady (criminal) auto manufacturer designs, we probably would have transitioned to electric a decade sooner

While I don't dispute that automotive manufacturers cheated emissions with diesels, the truth is the current design trend in turbocharging small engines is essentially a way the automotive manufactures are manipulating the system. Disagree? Well most people drive a lot harder than all of the cycles that actually test emissions. That and the other reason so many manufacturers have piled into SUVs is because they are considered trucks, not cars, and have looser emission requirements. (Which makes no sense whatsoever - a small compact car takes a lot less material to manufacture and uses a lot less resources.)

If people in California, or wherever for that matter, really cared about the environment the should focus a lot more on the right to repair and shutting down Tesla's shady repair practices of not selling parts, and stupid electronic designs that are no way going to last 25 years. That and actually do something about the cobalt mines.

Cradle to grave thinking is lost on nearly all politicians and legislatures.

don't you worry.....VolksWagon will re-write an algorithm into the CPU that will make it disappear whenever
some schmuck plugs in their scan-tool. i'll bet that truck has a .0001 carbon footprint and makes
55+ mpg.

BEAUTIFUL!

China is fucking the world.

Leave the diesels and get China to stop fucking the planet by 5% and you’ll see a carbon reduction far beyond removing EVERY SINGLE diesel truck in America.

God fuck all the regulations I’m sick of seeing this bullshit. We’re fucking sinking in the osha(n) here.

You want to see growth and production like we had in the 40-50 then stop letting Chinaman fuck us. Ban most import from China, ban most Chinese products in the American economy.

Leave building hammers n hand tools to Americans for Americans.

This place would be paradise

And Emanuelgoldstine is a crock of shit who knows nothing but how to moan like a woman and complain about everything like he’s fixing something

What a happy little soul you are

Nationwide, class 8 operators continue to struggle with reliability of all the emissions equipment on their new trucks. A nice "pre-elog" truck with fresh motor rebuild will sell for as much as a new one! (Just can't operate it in Cali...)

The independents that can't, simply don't service California.

I’m afraid this is what the future looks like, long time ago we’d postulate how it would be, well, we found out!, it sucks, driven by the climate crisis, green energy and outright lunatics imho, takes more energy to make the solar and wind than you get back from them, for some reason governments want us energy poor, why, who knows, apparently the electorate vote for these policy’s, at least that what election results say, I suppose we’re going to have to get used to it
I think it’s going to get much much worse, I feel sorry for the kids myself
Mark

Umm, you guys do arithmetic often ? 2021 - 2009 = 12. These would be twelve year old work trucks that are being banned, and just in Calfornia. As a few have pointed out, they can be registered in other states. Seems like the sky may not be falling quite yet (but it was nice of Gregsy to warn us.)

But that’s sort of the point. Old trucks don’t spend their life on the road, cost of operation is too high. They are mostly parked. Sitting around waiting for the occasional old machine rescue. So why ban them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a happy little soul you are

I greatly dislike EG because he told me to suck his dick.

And I dislike trying to compete with a country who drags whales ashore, nets dolphins by the hundreds, fishes the sea clean in general, pollutes the world over without regulations or a care, has no osha and pays humans tens of dollars a week for 40+ hour work weeks. STEALS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY WITHOUT PENALTY And we’re supposed to compete with that?

Wish I could go to China and steal/copy anything I want but it won’t work because it’s a copy of some other 1st world countries products anyway.

I have no problem with race/people, it’s that country that can eat shit.

We can’t compete with that on a serious level, unless they was prohibited from majority of the American market.

Why can’t we import foreign cars to use that are under 25 years old? To protect the American automotive market!?

Well what the serious F?

How about the WHOLE rest of the economy??

F’em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back