OT, mostly looking for experience with lead acid battery desulfator/pulse charger - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    BTW, what do people do to batteries to kill 'em? I live in a northern climate and always get ten years plus from batteries before they get even slightly bad. Keep 'em topped up, even low maintenance types, don't let them get run down and keep the terminal areas clean.
    My van sat in the dealer's remote lot for two years before I bought it at a significant discount. I assume it was not charged on a regular basis. I needed a new charger anyhow and thought I'd give the pulse charger a try before I sprang for a new battery.

Honestly, it's been another two years and with the discount on the original purchase I should probably just get a new battery but you know how we are. :-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

fciron, If I understand your post, you used a pulse charger. What brand and model?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read one time that a solar panel with no regulator is a good setup for burning off sulfates from plates.
    (and they get to drop to the base so they can short out those plates....)

Personally- If I ever see a sitting battery at ten volts or so or less I toss it and buy another one.
    I don't have the time or energy to dick around trying to save what are essentially consumable items.

Batteries come in two flavors-

A battery you found somewhere or came used on a piece of equipment and those you buy new.

If it came to you used- just assess if it has enough capacity to do its job and if not toss it.
    If you bought it new- take care of it and it will give long service life.
    If you don't take care of it- you have damaged it and learned that lesson.

Guidlines-

A typical quality deep cycle battery had about 6000 cycles in it if you cycle at 20% and 1200 if you take it to 50% draw down.
    That same battery has far fewer cycles depending on how long it sits in a discharged state.

So.... get enough capacity to do the job at a shallow draw down and a means to get the battery charged up as soon as possible.
    If you don't you are building a higher cost into your application for losing the cells at sometimes far below their potential service life.

That is what you do with batteries.
    Trying to bring them back from the dead is just spending time trying to correct someones screwups or lousy system design.

I see LOTS of those screw ups.
    like a $6000 stack of year old Surrette batteries in the recycle pile because the owners couldn't manage to remember to plug in the boat.
    Or "brand new" 8d AGM's which aren't worth crap after sitting on low draw and no charge till dead.
    The lesson here is don't screw up- it is a far more reliable approach than black magic boxes and batteries.

4. Likes JST liked this post