What's new
What's new

Anyone making bushings with Nyloil, Ertalyte or Delrin POM-H ? Seeking ideas.

antique lathe

Aluminum
I need to make some bushings. I am all out of Bronze. So since I need order something.
I thought I would try some dry lube plastics. I really do not know much about these.
But they sound useful. I did read a article that said since they are designed to self lube. You should not oil them. Because the oil could act as a lapping compound. Which would actually make them wear faster.

I want to buy rods. I notice places like Igus list many pre made sleeves. But very few that I could use. So will need to make from rod stock.

Application would all be slow rpm. Like hand wheels and rollers. Which got me thinking.
I need to make some bushings for some change gears. Plastic sounds like a good choice.

Looking at the spec sheets. Some are soft. But most are pretty close. In the listings for slide plates,bushings and bearings. Also listing as gears. That my become a play time thing. Make a set of change gears out of plastic. No more whining. lol.

I was looking at Ertalyte, Delrin POM-H, Nyoils and even Nylatron. So I was wondering if anyone makes bushings out of plastics. They seem to be pretty advanced nowadays.
Seeking any good advice you have. I do have a wear plate sample of Tivar. Looks nice, think that may become something I use in the future.
Thanks !

Try contacting IGUS.com as they are very experienced in plastic bushings and will probably have what you need in stock.

The only plastic type material I machine occasionally is Delrin. Dream to machine, huge cuts, no heat. I did learn though that e.g., if you bore a 2" i.d. in a 4" o.d. piece, and then cut an inch off the o.d., the i.d. will grow. So now I finish he bore o within .010", cut the o.d., then re-bore the i.d. I don't know if UHMW and others are similar.

+1 for Igus. They sell solid stock of their proprietary bushing materials which have data sheets and from which you can make whatever you want.

I have machined some bushings using PEEK (Polyether ether ketone). It machines very nicely and holds up well in low speed applications. I have also made a lot of swing arm bushings for dirt bikes from graphite impregnated nylon. You have to watch your tolerances because nylon swells up some when it gets wet. These bushing work much better then the needle bearings originally installed on most bikes. The needle bearings are sealed but they never last long. The nylon bushings will outlast them by a mile.

Nylatron GS is good too. Pretty stable and tougher than 6/6.

The only trouble with plastics is the vast quantity available.Nylon with additives is an old material but as good as any.I have used Nyloil with moly sulfide with good results.Note the Nylon with additives doesn't swell as bad as plain when wet.

Delrin is nice but works better with lube.I made a lot of Corvette and Viper suspension bushings out of Delrin.The only failure was an exhaust leak on a Vette that cooked one.

I just got some Rulon to try on a rebuild project.I believe it is a Teflon derivative.It machines nice and a lot stiffer than Teflon and almost as slippery.

UHMW is a good dry bushing good impact resistant but not as tough as Nylon or as hard as Delrin.Low speed & temp.
In the 60's I tried Teflon buttons for wrist pin retainers.First tear down the only wear in the cylinders was where the buttons were.

Which is the only problem with the plastics,any particulates will imbed and abrade the metal parts they run against.

Also made various gears for our finishing machines out of Nylatron,Nyloil &Nyloil mso,Delrin,Micarta and they all worked,can't say which is better,just depends on the application.

Back