What's new
What's new

OT mounting fire extinguisher below breaker box ?

Andy St

Stainless
There is not much wall space left in the shop that useful for mounting an extinguisher. Are there any electrical , fire or OSHA codes that apply one way or the other? In one way it seems like a good location as we already need to keep that area clear for the panel.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_5412 (2).jpg
    IMG_5412 (2).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 179
I like them next to the door.

Either leaving of coming in, it's right there.

If the panel lights up, how to grab the extinguisher ?

I'm with you on both of those statements. There is a large one just outside the door about 12 feet away. Also there is another large one about the same distance the other way. To me this one is a little redundant for the area.

Thanks
Andy

I like them next to the door.

Either leaving of coming in, it's right there.

If the panel lights up, how to grab the extinguisher ?

Generally, the area around breaker boxes must be kept clear and the floor area below the box marked off. Not sure how an extinguisher hanging below the box door would be viewed in that regard. To me, it wouldn't be a problem, but to an OSHA inspector it might be. Like most gov't inspectors a lot of them can quote chapter and verse of the regulations, but not a single word of common sense.

no clue what real rules are. my fire guy just said every 70'. years back working in car dealerships that had gas pumps they kept them right next to the pump - i suppose if the pump was on fire i'd just dive in there and grab one.

Don't locate the extinguisher where it would likely be in the fire, or you might as well not have it. Put it by the door. When you reach it you get to decide whether you really want to re-enter.

I have seen a 3 phase panel go up in a ball of flame large enough to scorch the paint off the opposite wall. I also knew an electrician that had no feeling in his nose because a panel blew the door off hard enough to knock him clear off his feet. It definitely happens.

I started at a large company that had an electrician in the hospital IC from an arc flash incident. When he returned to work it looked like a great deal of the flesh in the head/neck area had been melted. He was wearing PPC at the time and it likely saved his life. Scary looking.

Here's an idea. Since you need to get the extinguisher inspected and tagged every year, just take the guess work out of it and call your extinguisher company. Let them tell you where you can mount it. I'm willing to bet they will know.

There should be no issue with putting any water or foam type extinguishers close to an electrical panel. You wouldn't be using that type if the panel caught fire, after all! Then the other types can be mounted elsewhere.

There should be no issue with putting any water or foam type extinguishers close to an electrical panel. You wouldn't be using that type if the panel caught fire, after all! Then the other types can be mounted elsewhere.

Looks much like a CO2 version to me.....

Back