What's new
What's new

OT: Moving out for the first time, any advice?

capital7

Cast Iron
Hello all,

I'm moving out of my fathers house this week and its my first time being out on my own (Currently 18, not some 35 year old living in the parents basement) Is there any advice or things I should think about when I get my own place?

I would also like to mention that I already take care of myself, and work full time, I know how to cook, do laundry, all the basics.

Thanks in advance!

Be sure to do your due diligence when selecting a location, thoroughly vet anyone you're considering for a roommate and if they have a dog just tell them 'no'.

I'm currently just moving out on my own, no roommates ye so I'll deal with that when I get to it.

Curious as to the "no dogs" policy though, care to explain?

have a good look at any lease you are signing. Once you have signed a lease before you take possession make as detailed inspection as you can with the owner or manager with you. These days easiest to use a video camera to record anything in the place that is damaged or doesn't work properly. I mean test everything and keep recording.

If there is anything you want fixed or altered talk it over with the owner or manager and again record it.

If you see things that aren't what you want and you don't get satisfying answers from owner/manager then as much as you probably don't like it, you might need to spend more time looking for another alternative place to lease.

Anything that is damaged or worn when you take possession, if not noted then when you leave you might get stuck with the repair or damage.

If you can take a friend or family member with you for the inspection it's better yet as they might catch something you don't see.

Exciting times for sure! Hope you love your new place.

Curious as to the "no dogs" policy though, care to explain?

I'm 30, lived with roommates for about 10 of the last 12 years, and have found that without a doubt living with someone else's animals is aggravating. Dogs/cats are messy, you'll become the built in dogsitter, and eventually you'll pick up piles of poop from the floor. Poop that you may find with your bare toes on the way turn on the lights in the morning.

I finally appreciated how much mom and dad did around the house to keep it clean...

I found out the frig didn't automatically refill itself..

All the stuff you are used to having in an established house goes away.. Stuff like using a hammer and a butter knife
because you don't have a can opener.. And herbs and spices... It takes a while to get those stocked up.

If you are used to living in a house with a driveway and a yard and maybe a garage, apartment living sucks.. No place to change
your water pump, and you can't just go outside and wander around, or sit and watch the birds.

And when you get sick.. Now you'll have to make your own damn chicken soup...

Make a list of the advantages and costs of having your own place.
Is your current full time job a life job place where you might advance to a family income?
Do you get along well with parents? Is travel distance to work reasonable
Consider this you could stay, pay parents or do some chores for your keep, live an economy lifestyle and bank a years pay to buy a house, pay for education or start a business.
My Niece got a degree, went to work at a top job for ten years supporting an apartment in DC and did not save a nickel. Now moved back to Michigan where see is living at home for two years to save enough for her plan is to to buy a house on the water.

You are here perhaps because you have a machine interest. Likely you can work in a shop for ten years and still be where you are right now. The right moves now could make you the shop owner or the highest paid in the shop.

QT: [Things I should think about when I get my own place?] Every time I get tired of looking at these wall it costs the rate of my pay to do anything, and these wall cost $500 to $2000 a month.

Yes. Don't abuse alcohol or drugs. Save money and wear a condom, More men end up fathers with the wrong girl at the wrong time and they end up paying a big price for a good time. More young men fall into this trap and end up giving 1/3 of the paycheck to a woman they don't love or live with, a woman who controls how, when and if they get to see the kid. You end up in hell for five Min of fun. Then when the real Mrs. right comes along she's going to think twice about the baggage you are stuck with.

Keep it in your pants.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Yeah it takes years to acquire all the stuff your parents own that everyone takes for granted.

If you go with an ancient house instead of an apartment in order to have a driveway and possibly a garage, the heating cost can be really high.

My roommate had a dog and cats when she moved in. The amount of hair everywhere is unbelievable and the cats shred anything with fabric.

I found out the frig didn't automatically refill itself..

And when you get sick.. Now you'll have to make your own damn chicken soup...

Luckily for me I already buy my own groceries, and I haven't been sick in 6 years so fingers crossed :D

Make a list of the advantages and costs of having your own place.
Is your current full time job a life job place where you might advance to a family income?
Do you get along well with parents?
Consider this you could stay, pay parents or do some chores for your keep, live an economy lifestyle and bank a years pay to buy a house, pay for education or start a business.
My Niece got a degree, went to work at a top job for ten years supporting an apartment in DC and did not save a nickel. Now moved back to Michigan where see is living at home for two years to save enough for her plan is to to buy a house on the water.

You are here perhaps because you have a machine interest. Likely you can work in a shop for ten years and still be where you are right now. The right moves now could make you the shop owner or the highest paid in the shop.

I'm currently working in a job shop where I do CAD design and CAM (programming CNC machines) it's a very small shop 10 people.

Don't quite get along with my parents, and I was already paying rent there.

I am already saving most of my pay cheques, and I don't need to go to school (since I am already in the position I want and enjoy, my employer doesn't want me to leave for school either)

I'm really just wanting to get out on my own and quietly live my life for now.

Yes. Don't abuse alcohol or drugs. Save money and wear a condom, More men end up fathers with the wrong girl at the wrong time and they end up paying a big price for a good time. More young men fall into this trap and end up giving 1/3 of the paycheck to a woman they don't love or live with, a woman who controls how, when and if they get to see the kid. You end up in hell for five Min of fun. Then when the real Mrs. right comes along she's going to think twice about the baggage you are stuck with.

Keep it in your pants.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Noted!!

I've seen this first hand in HIGHSCHOOL!! quite a few girls knocked up.... and then the "Dad" is nowhere to be found... it's a shame.

(EDIT) And drugs are a definite nope. Grew up in a bad neighborhood and saw too many things drug related to even think twice about it!

Yeah it takes years to acquire all the stuff your parents own that everyone takes for granted.

If you go with an ancient house instead of an apartment in order to have a driveway and possibly a garage, the heating cost can be really high.

My roommate had a dog and cats when she moved in. The amount of hair everywhere is unbelievable and the cats shred anything with fabric.

I'm not much of a cat person at all, so that wont be an issue, and where I live most of the houses are quite new, I've been looking at a few places all have parking (I drive) and utilities included.

I remember discovering for myself the meaning of thread count when buying bed sheets. I had no idea the comfort difference in Ra between low and high.

Hint: It's the opposite of surface roughness we use in our trade. Low number (thread count)=sleeping on burlap bag, High thread count like sleeping on a cloud.

Ah... good times.

QT:[Don't quite get along with my parents, and I was already paying rent there.]

Is that your fault or theirs? How does the cost of your own place compare.

Still add it up, make the right decision perhaps moving out.
Still cad/cam/cnc can be $24,000 or $150,000 depending on the shop and who owns the shop. When I started out one could get a life job in the machine trade. now many are just making rent and driving a clunker..

*Go back and read Dupa's post #8 again.

QT: [and I don't need to go to school because] later in life you will find that a mistake. Even if only taking trade classes they will get you in the door of the better shop. Just taking classes will often get you in the better job.

I remember discovering for myself the meaning of thread count when buying bed sheets. I had no idea the comfort difference in Ra between low and high.

Hint: It's the opposite of surface roughness we use in our trade. Low number (thread count)=sleeping on burlap bag, High thread count like sleeping on a cloud.

Ah... good times.

THANK YOU!

I was just recently looking at bedding and saw thread count and thought, hmmm lower = better? like surface roughness or shotgun gauge? APPARENTLY NOT!

You have saved me a lot of uncomfortable nights! :D

Don't quite get along with my parents, and I was already paying rent there.

Is that your fault or theirs? How does the cost of your own place compare.

Still add it up, make the right decision perhaps moving out.
Still cad/cam/cnc can be $24,000 or $150,000 depending on the shop and who owns the shop. When I started out one could get a life job in the machine trade. now many are just making rent and driving a clunker..

To be fair, it was a bit of both, partially to do with my father trying to impress his girlfriend with authority, partially me being a rebellious teenager/young adult, both of us are very stubborn.

I'm currently making about $400 a week, without overtime. I may consider a second job at a machine shop up the road working night shift as well.

If there is any possibility you can work things out with your father and feel comfortable you might want to consider that because at your salary you are going to have very little money in your pocket if you go out and get a place of your own without a room mate to share expenses. Just the cost of heating a place during winter might take a week's pay and that isn't at 80 degrees either. Are you out in the country? Or in a city with public transportation available to go to work and back?

I'm currently making about $400 a week, without overtime. I may consider a second job at a machine shop up the road working night shift as well.

If there is any possibility you can work things out with your father and feel comfortable you might want to consider that because at your salary you are going to have very little money in your pocket if you go out and get a place of your own without a room mate to share expenses. Just the cost of heating a place during winter might take a week's pay and that isn't at 80 degrees either. Are you out in the country? Or in a city with public transportation available to go to work and back?

I'm in the city, I have my own vehicle, and I've found a couple places for about $1000 a month utilities included

Again, my father and I are both stubborn, I don't think that the situation will change anytime soon...

I know that with my current pay things will be rough for the first little while, but I am willing to put up with that until I can adjust to make it work, whether that be cutting back on expenses or finding a new job, or an additional job

Back