OT mower deck bearing issues - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those look pretty sweet. Replacing bearings is a matter of maintenance and not abusing the mower IMO. My JD x595 has never had the deck bearings replaced. It's 16 years old. I grease the deck once a year and rarely use it for mowing anything heavier than my 2 acre yard. Except this one 25 acre overgrown field I just mowed... which it handled with aplomb and no complaints. That includes nailing several items large enough to stall the machine, including a ⅜" steel cable. I was told the field was clean...nah. That one is going to remove a little bearing life.

20190810_182907.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Those look pretty sweet. Replacing bearings is a matter of maintenance and not abusing the mower IMO. My JD x595 has never had the deck bearings replaced. It's 16 years old. I grease the deck once a year and rarely use it for mowing anything heavier than my 2 acre yard. Except this one 25 acre overgrown field I just mowed... which it handled with aplomb and no complaints. That includes nailing several items large enough to stall the machine, including a ⅜" steel cable. I was told the field was clean...nah. That one is going to remove a little bearing life.

20190810_182907.jpg
    They are sweet. Expensive and a lot of inertia, but very smooth running. I hit a lot of stumps from a tree/bush row I cleared out. getting these and a 425 was a life changer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must be the season for mower repairs. Drug the old riding mower out for its once a year weed annihilation ride, hmm, vaguely remember it making some horrible noises last year. Assumed it was the deck bearings, and that might still be a problem, but it seems the biggest problem was one of the pulleys was loose and it had worn out a hole the size of a quarter. Not wanting to wait for a new pulley, I found a lug nut that fit that hole, welded it into pulley, reamed out threads to fit shaft, and installing shortly. Bearings will most likely still howl, but they only need to last for 20 minutes, so...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you use 2 standard deep groove bearings side by side, you need to preload them against each other so they both share the load, otherwise only one will carry the load until it wears out enough that the other does. You can buy precision matched duplex pairs that are preloaded just by clamping them together axially, but they're not cheap. Easier is to use a double row sealed angular contact bearing like a 5203 2RSR. The bearings need to be a press fit on the shaft or clamped axially by a nut. Any thrust load will be carried by this bearing so the bearing on the other end will have to float axially in the housing bore to avoid thrust overload from thermal expansion. There are also extra wide single row bearings, but they only hold extra grease for long life without any extra load capacity.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About five years ago my brother in law bought a trashed JD STX38. The bearings had long since gone and had eaten out the housings. Just for grins I turned him a set of bronze sleeve bearings captured by two zerk fittings each. I have seen sleeve bearings take a heck of a beating that I think would kill a standard ball bearing. His are still going fine and if they crap out it's an easy, cheap fix.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Must be the season for mower repairs.

We really don't have any mower failures Nov. thru April
    in this area.....

7. Likes converterking, Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    We really don't have any mower failures Nov. thru April
    in this area.....
    Move to Texas and you will! That said, I'm in Nv now, my fix worked great, apparently that was only problem, the 3' tall weeds are cut, and now the old farts need to find something new to complain about

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Move to Texas and you will! That said, I'm in Nv now, my fix worked great, apparently that was only problem, the 3' tall weeds are cut, and now the old farts need to find something new to complain about
    You made it sound like everyone is just like you....Hardly the truth eh ?

Your a unik...I mean unique.

I'll send you a nice snowblower, maybe by lifting the handles and nosing it down, you can dig an inground pool with it....